Would you take Sam Allardyce?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There have been a couple of ITK-tastic rumours about Sam Allardyce possibly taking over in the summer. Letting us pretend there is some mileage in these, would you want him as manager?

This is a straight yes or no based upon your opinion of him, ignoring the fact that he's quite clearly better than what we have now.

I think this is the exact moment in time when he would be ideal. Organisation being one of his strong points and also his well proven ability to handle top/controversial players.

Absolutely yes.

He'd totally restructure the club which would be ideal, both on and off the pitch. He may be a bit full of himself at times, but he's an excellent manager imo. Far better than overrated tosh like Curbishley.

To be only 5 points away from Arsenal, with the resources they've got is a great achievement. Granted, they signed Anelka for big money (£8m?) but thats the first time in years they've spent big.

I said yes when he was linked after Robson and after Souness and my answer still hasn't changed.

Horrible fella, by all accounts, but he knows what he's doing and he'd probably continue to work wonders with some cash behind him. Thing is, he'll fuck off to the England job if he does well.

No...

Hitzfeld for TOON !!!

YEAH!  Alternatively I'd take Wenger, Ferguson, Rikjaard or Mourinho!  Let's be honest, we've got about as much chance of getting him as we have any of them.

Without any doubt, he is probably exactly what we need right now (being realistic as we wont get the likes of Wenger).

Would be worried about the England thing as Woody mentioned.

Guest Gemmill

Yep.  Bloke with a vision and the wherewithall, determination and open-mindedness to see the job through.  Not like that insipid soundbite-producing four-eyed cockmuncher Roeder.

I'm not a huge fan of Allardyce as a bloke but he's a better manager than Roeder.

Where are these ITK rumours anyway?  I still think we'll be starting next season with four eyes in charge.

Previously, no - worried about him being a long ball merchant, a more modern version of Joe Kinnear, same philosophy, better methods behind the scene.

But now - change of tune, f*** yes, times 100. He knows about tactics and organisation, his squad are as well drilled as any in the league, most people will agree on this. But what has mainly changed my opinion of him in recent months is the signing of Anelka, as well as his attempt to bring Sorin in. It indicates hes not purely a long ball merchant, he doesnt only want grafters and big lumps up front (otherwise hed never have gone for Anelka), or long ball merchants at the back (wouldnt want Sorin if he did), he wants technically gifted players who are great at playing on the deck, and its only recently that hes had the chance - funding and ability - to attract them. Hed do that far more often up here given our resources.

Only if he really wanted the job.

But with Mclaren looking shaky he might be holding out for the England nod again, propbably would be offered it this time as well, basically for England there is no other option English wise.

Would love to see Sammy Lee here as well, the guy breathes passion and loves his football.

I'd definitely take him. If we have to have an English manager, he's the best around. He's proven that he can operate in the transfer market, work with big egos, raise players' games, maximise limited resources and plan for the future. His ability to "think out of the box" would be a refreshing change, as would his hunger to find an edge in any way that he can.

Guest Gemmill

By the way, HTT has some keyboard shortcuts set up to auto-post cliches about Allardyce, so we can expect some monster posts on the subject later. :lol:

Guest Invicta_Toon

no one answered in the other post BUT

does anyone have the first clue as to whether he is still being investigated?

Guest Darth Toon

I would carry Big Sam on my back all the way from Bolton to the toon if he was prepared to take the job - absolutely light years away from our current incumbent in so many ways.

Hopefully bring Speedo back with him as well in player/coaching capacity.