The Roedenator: I will take the flak

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

I'll take the flak

Apr 3 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder insisted today he accepted he would have to take the flak after Newcastle United's run of four Premiership games with a goal and victory.

Once again there is doom and gloom hanging over Tyneside especially as United have allowed what can only be described as mediocre teams like Fulham, Wigan Athletic and now Manchester City beat them since the turn of the year.

And United fans will not breathe easy until there are another couple of wins in the bag to ensure that Premiership football will be played at St James' Park next season.

To be fair to Roeder, he has never been one to duck the issues, as was shown by his question-and-answer session for Chronicle readers last week.

And when I asked him today about all the flak that is flying around he told me: "It goes with the job.

"I know that the expectations are so high here at St James' Park, and not only do I understand this, I don't mind it.

"And I do know that this season we have found it hard to reach those expectations, and that some of the players have not done as well as I thought they would.

"Now there is no doubt that some of our players need to finish the season strongly.

"There is still a heck of a lot to play for and we are aiming to finish in the top half of the table."

Roeder accepts that he was not the big name some United supporters wanted as manager, especially as his predecessors at St James' - Graeme Souness, Sir Bobby Robson, Ruud Gullit, Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Keegan and Ossie Ardiles - are six of the biggest names in football.

Martin O'Neill has that big- name reputation and the amiable Ulsterman has built an aura round himself to such an extent that he has escaped any criticism down at Villa Park.

And that is despite the fact that, after being one of the few managers given money to spend in January, O'Neill has seen his Villa side win just two games out of 18 in the Premiership games and they are currently 14th in the table.

While O'Neill is "safe" in the Midlands, my information is that as long as United are playing Premiership football next season, the board of directors at St James' Park have no intention of changing their manager.

However, Roeder knows that, after results, the other key issue that he will be judged on is how he wheels and deals in the summer transfer market.

Clicky

"my information is that as long as United are playing Premiership football next season, the board of directors at St James' Park have no intention of changing their manager."

Fuk me the ambitions of this club are superb.

Guest Invicta_Toon

"Martin O'Neill has that big- name reputation and the amiable Ulsterman has built an aura round himself to such an extent that he has escaped any criticism down at Villa Park.

And that is despite the fact that, after being one of the few managers given money to spend in January, O'Neill has seen his Villa side win just two games out of 18 in the Premiership games and they are currently 14th in the table."

:lol:

"my information is that as long as United are playing Premiership football next season, the board of directors at St James' Park have no intention of changing their manager."

Visionary, isn't it?

Our target is now Premiership survival. And its fucking hit and miss if he's good enough to manage that. Jesus.

Aye, its our fault though. Our expectations are too high....

Guest Gemmill

Christ, will he not shut up.  What we need is a transfer window.  He sharp fucking clams up after one of those.

That says it all really.  It really does.

And they wonder why people might not renew season tickets.

my information is that as long as United are playing Premiership football next season, the board of directors at St James' Park have no intention of changing their manager.

Oh dear. If Roeder isn't sacked this summer, he will be sacked by the following summer, I'm sure of that.

Another load of transfer funds are about to be given to a man clearly with no long term future at this club.

Guest Invicta_Toon

my information is that as long as United are playing Premiership football next season, the board of directors at St James' Park have no intention of changing their manager.

Oh dear. If Roeder isn't sacked this summer, he will be sacked by the following summer, I'm sure of that.

Another load of transfer funds are about to be given to a man clearly with no long term future at this club.

you know when his contract expires right?

Guest Gemmill

you know when his contract expires right?

You know that by the following summer means before it, right?

Guest Invicta_Toon

Happy just to be in the Premier League then? Hooray.

you think we were staying with Souness?

Guest Knightrider

It is quite noticeable that neither the Chairman or senior players have came out and backed Roeder or even defended him, he's a lone voice at the moment.

Guest Invicta_Toon

It is quite noticeable that neither the Chairman or senior players have came out and backed Roeder or even defended him, he's a lone voice at the moment.

he can handle that

this is Glen Roeder

Glen Roeder can stand alone

Glen Roeder can take the pressure

Glen Roeder isn't one to shirk responsibility

Glen Roeder could roundhouse kick you from 20 feet

Not sure that means much atm, many players publically backed Souness and he left. No-one is backing Roeder and ...  he stays?

Suddenly relegation dosn't seem like a bad thing after all..

"There is still a heck of a lot to play for"

Who is he trying to kid? These comments are an insult to fans' intelligence. There is absolutely nothing left to play for, only Premiership survival, which he insists isn't an issue.

Christ, will he not shut up.  What we need is a transfer window.  He sharp f****** clams up after one of those.

Not really mate, once the transfer window opens, he'll go on bout we will be getting three top players by next week and then present us with the likes of Sibi and Bernard. As soon as the window slams shut, he'll then say that he does not want to be judged till he gets his own squad of players!