Top clubs secretly planning breakaway Euro Superleague.

Parky

As I predicted on here a year ago and was much derided in response. :lol:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2047991,00.html

"Secret talks have taken place between Europe's leading football clubs and Brussels politicians that could lead to a breakaway super league. Sources involved in the discussions, held at the PSV Eindhoven-Arsenal Champions League match in February, state that a breakaway is the "ultimate threat" that could be exercised if Uefa and Fifa "run wild" in their governance of the game."

It is not known exactly what form such a league would take. However, the Guardian revealed 12 months ago a G14 strategy document drawing up a mechanism for a breakaway. That "Vision Europe" document envisaged "a detachment of the top professional level from all remaining levels underneath, if this was agreed upon by the clubs"."

Greedy bastards!11

I would rather that happened with rules staying the same than some of Blatter's plans being implemented, like bigger goals to please the yanks, and leagues running from February to November.

I would rather that happened with rules staying the same than some of Blatter's plans being implemented, like bigger goals to please the yanks, and leagues running from February to November.

Depends what the qualification for it was like Stevie. If I know the likes of Liverpool and Real, getting in would be made difficult....I have heard they wanted to ensure as much as poss to stop the elite clubs being relegated out...What this means in reality I have no idea.

Guest Bellers

Can't see it happening. For a kick off fans wouldn't be able to afford the regular visitis to Europe.

In every form of sport there are dominating teams/individuals. Fans of smaller clubs may like the idea of a more open league but it would surely destroy the domestic league, how would qualification for this "super league" work, what makes a club that finishes forth in the league a "super club". These larger clubs really need to get over themselves and accept the league may not be important to themselves but it is to the smaller, traditional clubs.

Can't see it happening. For a kick off fans wouldn't be able to afford the regular visitis to Europe.

In every form of sport there are dominating teams/individuals. Fans of smaller clubs may like the idea of a more open league but it would surely destroy the domestic league, how would qualification for this "super league" work, what makes a club that finishes forth in the league a "super club". These larger clubs really need to get over themselves and accept the league may not be important to themselves but it is to the smaller, traditional clubs.

It is a clear danger to the domestic league. But I'm afraid the prime motivation is making more money ie individually negotioated TV deals they don't have to share.

Guest Bellers

It is a clear danger to the domestic league. But I'm afraid the prime motivation is making more money ie individually negotioated TV deals they don't have to share.

If they're in such desperate need of money that they feel they have to to destroy the domestic league to increase turnover should they be classed as a "super club"...

If they're in such desperate need of money that they feel they have to to destroy the domestic league to increase turnover should they be classed as a "super club"...

In the article is said Milan individually negotiates €85m euro TV money which it doesn't share unlike here where there is more of a pot system. For these clubs another seperate TV deal must look too good to turn down or investigate. I'm guessing but where they want to be is getting CL money every year without having to qualify. Also gates at Italian clubs have been falling over the last 10 years and some big matches get quite small gates compared to us.

They are becoming more reliant TV money.

Guest Sniffer

I'm not sure that a super league of twenty or so clubs would keep the interest of the average fan. Even if Newcastle were involved, which is unlikely, I wouldn't want it. Probably be the beginning of the end for me with my level of interest dropping dramatically and I doubt I'd be alone. Once the advertisers realise that interest is low apart from fans of the teams involved, the TV money would dry up and that would be that.

I'm not sure that a super league of twenty or so clubs would keep the interest of the average fan. Even if Newcastle were involved, which is unlikely, I wouldn't want it. Probably be the beginning of the end for me with my level of interest dropping dramatically and I doubt I'd be alone. Once the advertisers realise that interest is low apart from fans of the teams involved, the TV money would dry up and that would be that.

You're not the target sniffer. They are looking at the world tv market, China for instance where Euro football is now watched by millions and the Far East..These are their new markets for football.

Depends what the qualification for it was like

i would have thought it would just be the G14 clubs. how could you qualify through a FIFA tornament for a tornament run by a different organisation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-14

i would have thought it would just be the G14 clubs. how could you qualify through a FIFA tornament for a tornament run by a different organisation

That is the point, there would be effectively no one dropping out if that was the case. I suspect they would change one team a year and even that reluctantly.

That is the point, there would be effectively no one dropping out if that was the case. I suspect they would change one team a year and even that reluctantly.

doubt they would ever change the 14 tbh

We're a top club, do you reckon we have any chance of being amongst the ones that break out?

Actually and this is interesting Fat five Freddy was in talks with the g14 last year at the same time David Dein blocked an invitation for Chelsea. There is some leeway for clubs with a large support base and facilities/history who aren't neccessarily ultra competitive atm. IMO they would take us.

Surely the top clubs will be happier being a big fish in a smaller pond.  It's all very well being top of a league when you pick up the majority of your points playing teams like Bolton, Villa and Watford but it's easy to end up languishing when you're playing top quality clubs week in, week out.  Same reason I can't see why rangers and celtic would like to become a mediocre premiership team rather than the big boys of scotland.

Guest Knightrider

Will never happen, they've been talking about this since the 40s. They don't have the balls because once they up and leave, they will never be allowed back in. Elite clubs flexing their muscles in light of Platini's proposed plans to revamp the Champions League, nowt more.

Will never happen, they've been talking about this since the 40s. They don't have the balls because once they up and leave, they will never be allowed back in. Elite clubs flexing their muscles in light of Platini's proposed plans to revamp the Champions League, nowt more.

Probably what people said about the PL.

It's not really workable. Suppose the 14 clubs leave their domestic leagues (for example suppose ManU and Chelsea make the 14) and play a season of European games.  What happens next season?  Do the new Premier league champions (Arsenal or Liverpool) automatically get in and the current teams drop out?

What about the teams that finished bottom of the Euro League?  Relegated back to their league?  Replaced by their home leagues champions? What if another countries champions are better than the champions of the relegated team?

Besides, these issues I think the whole concept is poorly thought out anyway.  Will a EuroLeague game be as exciting as a domestic derby game?  Will following a team that doesn;t play anyone elses local team be exciting after the first season.....would Man U rather plan Milan in EuroLeague or Liverpool in Premiership.

It sounds very easy to set it up, but I just can't see this being sustainable.

It's not really workable. Suppose the 14 clubs leave their domestic leagues (for example suppose ManU and Chelsea make the 14) and play a season of European games.  What happens next season?  Do the new Premier league champions (Arsenal or Liverpool) automatically get in and the current teams drop out?

What about the teams that finished bottom of the Euro League?  Relegated back to their league?  Replaced by their home leagues champions? What if another countries champions are better than the champions of the relegated team?

Besides, these issues I think the whole concept is poorly thought out anyway.  Will a EuroLeague game be as exciting as a domestic derby game?  Will following a team that doesn;t play anyone elses local team be exciting after the first season.....would Man U rather plan Milan in EuroLeague or Liverpool in Premiership.

It sounds very easy to set it up, but I just can't see this being sustainable.

They will continue in their domestic leagues....From what I've been told this is going head to head with the CL. Games on Wed. Obvioulsy there are legal ramifications.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Don't forget all participating players would get expelled from their national teams

we would definitely want in then