Sidwell In - Butt Out?

Guest eyeball_tickler

Guest eyeball_tickler

STEVE SIDWELL has told friends he wants to join Newcastle.

The Reading midfielder is out of contract in the summer and has refused to agree a new deal.

A host of Premiership clubs have been linked to his signing, including Manchester United.

But despite publicly making noises that he might stay at the Madejski Stadium next season, SunSport understands Sidwell has made up his mind to quit — and he sees his future on Tyneside.

Premiership rules forbid rival clubs from talking to out-of-contract players until the end of the season.

But Sidwell is aware of strong interest from Toon boss Glenn Roeder.

The former Arsenal trainee, who was an FA Youth Cup winner with Arsene Wenger’s boys, has been offered £25,000 a week to stay with the Royals.

He had hinted that if the club secured a place in the UEFA Cup it could turn his head.

And the decision by manager Steve Coppell to sign a two-year deal was seen by optimistic Reading supporters as another reason why the 24-year-old might remain in Berkshire.

But Sidwell knows he could get at least £40,000 a week elsewhere and cash-conscious Reading are not able to match such sums.

Newcastle are planning a clearout in the summer and Sidwell’s arrival would probably mean the end of the line for former England and Manchester United midfielder Nicky Butt.

The Geordies also aim to bring in two centre-backs, with Roeder hoping to prise Wes Brown from Old Trafford and Anton Ferdinand from West Ham.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007150398,00.html

as replacements go, this is a bad one.

So, who wants to be the first to say "They should get rid of that useless **** Parker, not Butt!"

Come on, you know you want to... :knuppel2:

As for the serious part of my comment, I would love to see Sidwell here. I'm pretty sure the Sun just made up the part about ManU, so we should have a decent shot. 40k a week is like minimum wage for our squad no?  :uglystupid2:

Guest justin99.

I'd be happy for Sidwell to join.

Butt's turning 33 next year, having him Emre and Sidwell looks good imo.

Parker out for 5-6mill, Sidwell in on a free, makes sense to me. Like for like, but lower wages and without the confused "am I a Makelele or a Gerrerd?" problems.

Sidwell in, Emre out would be adding a second Parker to the team and removing our only midfielder with technical ability. But that is what is more likely to happen.

Guest teepee

40k seems a bit much..... would like to see him here though. but i'd also like to keep butt in the squad!

40k seems a bit much..... would like to see him here though. but i'd also like to keep butt in the squad!

Not worth more than 30k at the present time imo, especially as there will be a couple of mill signing on fee as well.  But as I said a while ago, the rumour down here was that it was inevitable he would be joining Newcastle in the summer....................... not that there's been any contact as that would be breaking the rules!!

A one out/one in policy is pretty much mandatory when you're dealing with gingas.

Listen children, this is the voice of experience talking :D

Only joking you strawberry blonde hunk of man ;)

Guest Gemmill

A one out/one in policy is pretty much mandatory when you're dealing with gingas.

Terrified now that you've read Matty's piss-up report, aren't you? :lol: ;) Dirty blonde anyway, you chunky kebab-eating bastard. :razz:

Terrified now that you've read Matty's piss-up report, aren't you? :lol: ;) Dirty blonde anyway, you chunky kebab-eating bastard. :razz:

Racist!  :weep:

I don't see why we would need to get rid of Butt anyway! Would like Sidwell but if we lose Emre we still need a proper creative midfielder.

Guest Gemmill

Racist!   :weep:

I don't see why we would need to get rid of Butt anyway! Would like Sidwell but if we lose Emre we still need a proper creative midfielder.

At the minute I'd sooner lose Parker than Butt.  Parker was fucking shite at the weekend.  I don't know if he's carrying an injury or if the glandular fever is still affecting him, but he looks like he's moving underwater at all times.  Totally off the pace, sluggish, and keeps giving up the battle.

Parker is capable of playing much better than he has been lately. I definately wonder if he's happy at Newcastle these days.

Butt, on the other hand, has played better than we all thought he would. I would take Butt over Parker these days.

Racist!  :weep:

At the minute I'd sooner lose Parker than Butt.  Parker was fucking shite at the weekend.  I don't know if he's carrying an injury or if the glandular fever is still affecting him, but he looks like he's moving underwater at all times.  Totally off the pace, sluggish, and keeps giving up the battle.

;)

Guest Gemmill

Racist!   :weep:

;)

As if I hadn't thought of that before.  Just because you're the North East's Premier Pete Doherty-alike, doesn't mean you've got the monopoly on the glandular fever theory! ;)

i was told on Saturday before the match that we had signed Sidwell on a pre-contract and he'll be joining on a bosman at the end of the season to replace Emre, who is off to Germany.

i was told on Saturday before the match that we had signed Sidwell on a pre-contract and he'll be joining on a bosman at the end of the season to replace Emre, who is off to Germany.

I sure hope not - signing a pre-contract at this stage is the equivalent of tapping up!!!

However, as Martin Jol winked at, doubtless over a few drinks with his advisors, numbers were exchanged and hands shaken...