How many transfers have we actually made a profit out of in the last ten years?

OzzieMandias

I reckon we could make a profit on Luque...

Did we flog Gillespie for anything decent? He only cost a million, technically, so maybe him although I can't even quite remember when he left I'm pretty sure it was '97. Apart fromt that I really can't think of anyone.

I reckon we could make a profit on Luque...

Did we flog Gillespie for anything decent? He only cost a million, technically, so maybe him although I can't even quite remember when he left I'm pretty sure it was '97. Apart fromt that I really can't think of anyone.

We sold Gillespie for £2.3 million, so that does represent a profit if you're right that his buying price was one million of the money we'd have got for Cole.

I can think of only three -- Hamann, Jenas and Woodgate -- but I've got a feeling there may be one more...

Didn't they pay the same for Woodgate as what we paid plus additional payments which im pretty sure the conditions would not have been met on?

I can think of only three -- Hamann, Jenas and Woodgate -- but I've got a feeling there may be one more...

Didn't they pay the same for Woodgate as what we paid plus additional payments which im pretty sure the conditions would not have been met on?

We bought him for around £9 million and sold him, I thought, for £13.4. I don't know about part of that being conditional.

We bought him for around £9 million and sold him, I thought, for £13.4. I don't know about part of that being conditional.

Im sure it was £9m rising to £13.4m.

Profits can be worked out two ways.

The first is did the player cost more than he was sold for?

The second is that the transfer fee is spread over the period of his contract so if he costs £10 million and is on a 5 year contract we'll write off £2 million per year, if we sold him after 4 years for £3 million it would be classed as a profit, I think that's the right way to explain it but others will know better.  That's why Sir Bobby said we'd made a profit on Carl Cort, it was an accounting profit.

Are we not counting home grown talent? Watson, Waddle, Gazza etc?

Watson being the most recent - I don't remember what we got but it was something.

Chopra - £500k

Bowyer is another we made a profit on.

Profits can be worked out two ways.

The first is did the player cost more than he was sold for?

The second is that the transfer fee is spread over the period of his contract so if he costs £10 million and is on a 5 year contract we'll write off £2 million per year, if we sold him after 4 years for £3 million it would be classed as a profit, I think that's the right way to explain it but others will know better.  That's why Sir Bobby said we'd made a profit on Carl Cort, it was an accounting profit.

We should also factor in wages paid through the life of his contract, and the savings made on future wages not paid.

Guest stormrider

A more interesting question is "what is the sum we made in all those profitable deals since 1993?".

My guess it wouldn't exceed £10m.

we made a hell of a profit out of players like Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle.

Shame we don't make managers sell players like that anymore eh eh  mackems.gif

Les Ferdinand.

Les Ferdinand.

I miss him. :(

Les Ferdinand.

did they now ?

Don't you think the manager at the time considered him surplus to requirements and preferred your idol ?

Consider the facts. Keegan told Hall he didn't want to sell Ferdinand to Everton, so Hall Jnr said Ok we won't sell him. One of the first players out the door after keegan left was ............. ???????

Anymore ?

Why not tell us the top players we signed and didn't want to go, unless the whole tone of your initial post suggests you think the club should buy players then offload them for more money ie become a selling club, like we were when we had shit directors ?

Les Ferdinand.

I miss him. :(

He was one of my favourites too. Seemed a genuinely nice bloke as well as a top centre forward.