How many transfers have we actually made a profit out of in the last ten years?

OzzieMandias

I can think of only three -- Hamann, Jenas and Woodgate -- but I've got a feeling there may be one more...

we made a hell of a profit out of players like Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle.

Shame we don't make managers sell players like that anymore eh eh  mackems.gif

Les Ferdinand.

I miss him. :(

He was one of my favourites too. Seemed a genuinely nice bloke as well as a top centre forward.

One of the few times I've given a toss about a player from another team getting crocked was him, straight after he left us.

What a player he was. People shite on about Ameobi being a good enough striker, and Dyer contributing to the team, but there was a fella who WAS good enough, and contributed massively, and was a genuine asset to the team.

Guest JonnyRogers

Bernard? free from France, sold him for £600,000 to Southampton

Ruel Fox - £2.5m from Norwich - £4m to Spurs (just out of the ten years)

Darren Ambrose maybe?

At the end of the day, if clubs keep thinking Newcastle will pay over the odds for players, then they'll keep charging us them, and Shepherd will just keep paying them.

I can think of only three -- Hamann, Jenas and Woodgate -- but I've got a feeling there may be one more...

Les Ferdinand.

He was one of my favourites too. Seemed a genuinely nice bloke as well as a top centre forward.

One of the few times I've given a toss about a player from another team getting crocked was him, straight after he left us.

What a player he was. People shite on about Ameobi being a good enough striker, and Dyer contributing to the team, but there was a fella who WAS good enough, and contributed massively, and was a genuine asset to the team.

I remember watching an interview with him, sometime after he'd gone. He was asked about it and seemed saddened it had happened. He then said something like "But you have to learn that in this business you're just a commodity."

It made me think about the fact that this was the other side of the coin from the issue of some players not caring about clubs much beyond the size of their wage packets.

Not that anyone could have ever levelled that complaint against Sir Les.

Darren Ambrose maybe?

At the end of the day, if clubs keep thinking Newcastle will pay over the odds for players, then they'll keep charging us them, and Shepherd will just keep paying them.

Didn't we have to pay £500,000 for Bernard? Not as a transfer fee. It was some kind of compensation.

Darren Ambrose maybe?

Didn't we have to pay £500,000 for Bernard? Not as a transfer fee. It was some kind of compensation.

I thought that was The Zog? Maybe i'm mixing them up, they all look alike to me.

The French, i mean.

Les Ferdinand.

I remember watching an interview with him, sometime after he'd gone. He was asked about it and seemed saddened it had happened. He then said something like "But you have to learn that in this business you're just a commodity."

It made me think about the fact that this was the other side of the coin from the issue of some players not caring about clubs much beyond the size of their wage packets.

Not that anyone could have ever levelled that complaint against Sir Les.

Not if they'd ever watched a game where he played for us, no.

Guest JonnyRogers

Aye yes we did actually, still maybe a profit there although not entirely sure on how much we sold him for.

I suppose that at least it shows we aren't a selling club though, but looking through a list of players it shows we are just very poor on signing players, especially from abroad.

Guest smoggeordie

Shearer - Paid £15,000,000 and roughly £5,000,000 a year in wages. So he cost us £65,000,000

I heard he earned the club over £100,000,000 in his ten years in shirt sales, image rights, goals that helped us progress etc  ;)

Shearer - Paid £15,000,000 and roughly £5,000,000 a year in wages. So he cost us £65,000,000

I heard he earned the club over £100,000,000 in his ten years in shirt sales, image rights, goals that helped us progress etc  ;)

Where did you hear that, then?

Guest smoggeordie

Can't remember, but it can't be far off ;)

Can't remember, but it can't be far off ;)

Can't it? A hundred million quid?

I'd love to see the calculation.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I believe there was some guy in 1907 who we bought for thirty bob and sold for five guineas...

Martins

but look, we've all apologised for the slave trade, let's move on...

Pretty sure we made a loss on Faye. Think we bought him for £2.5m and sold him for £2m. Could easily be wrong, but that's what the brain's giving me at the moment. Also, didn't we get half a mill for Rob Lee from Derby or thereabouts? Could that have snuck into profit?

Pretty sure we made a loss on Faye. Think we bought him for £2.5m and sold him for £2m. Could easily be wrong, but that's what the brain's giving me at the moment. Also, didn't we get half a mill for Rob Lee from Derby or thereabouts? Could that have snuck into profit?

I think you're right about Faye. I think we sold him for about 2million times his actual worth, but i'm sure we paid more than that for him.