Time to upgrade graphics card and RAM

BlueStar

For a graphics card I was thinking of this little bugger, AGP cos I haven't got a PCI-E slot and cant be bothered to get a new motherboard.  Think it'll do the trick?

As for another 512 ram, is there an easy way to find out what kind of ram I need?  It it just as simple as whipping it out and shoving it in and *bang* faster PC?  Is ram just ram, or are there better flavours?  It's ages since I bothered monkeying around with PCs rather than buying one out right, wating till it was ready for Bemish and getting a new one.

My processors not brilliant, AMD Semperon 2800 - but am I right in thinking games nowadays are much more reliant on graphics card and ram than the speed of your processor and it wont matter too much?  Could I just leave that as is without it holding back my new purchases?

I'd say, that's the best AGP card you can buy (although very overpriced in comparison to PCI-E cards, you can get far faster PCI-E cards for £40 less). RAM, just get any value-type RAM (eg http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10279842&pid=207&rstrat=3115 ), if you're not overclocking then there's no need for anything expensive. The processor would probably cope with Oblivion.

If I was you, I'd save up another £170+ and buy a socket 939, nforce4 Athlon64 + Motherboard, then buy a 7900GT graphics card.

Of course you don't need to, but you'll be buying an obselete graphics card you won't be able to use on any new motherboard should you decide to upgrade in 6 months.

Guest Lazlo

For a graphics card I was thinking of this little bugger, AGP cos I haven't got a PCI-E slot and cant be bothered to get a new motherboard.  Think it'll do the trick?

As for another 512 ram, is there an easy way to find out what kind of ram I need?  It it just as simple as whipping it out and shoving it in and *bang* faster PC?  Is ram just ram, or are there better flavours?  It's ages since I bothered monkeying around with PCs rather than buying one out right, wating till it was ready for Bemish and getting a new one.

My processors not brilliant, AMD Semperon 2800 - but am I right in thinking games nowadays are much more reliant on graphics card and ram than the speed of your processor and it wont matter too much?  Could I just leave that as is without it holding back my new purchases?

The 7800 is a great card. I built a 3800+ athlon 64 with one of those (but pci-e) and it runs f.e.a.r & quake 4 on highest settings at about 60fps at 1024x768 but like everything else it depends on your other specs. Cpu, mem etc

The best way to figure out your ram spec is to take it with you if you're not sure (or look in bios)

The different flavours you speak of depend on c.a.s latency or cl, 2 being the fastest and 3 the slowest, look for this when you buy. Good ram vendors are corsair,ocz and kingston.

Your processor size is relative as anything else but in your case i wouldn't bother upgrading unless you were going to get a 64 bit processor and motherboard, a higher clocked sempron wouldn't make much difference. Remember if you are thinking of upgrading in the future most new motherboards don't have agp so you're going to be stuck with buying another gfx card.

For about £150 you could have a 64bit athlon & a decent m/b, just a thought  bluecool.gif

Well this sytem scanner wotsit says I've currently got 512 megs of Non-parity DDR PC3200 184-pin DIMM flavour ram.  Although I'm still a bit unsure what kind of ram that means I should plump for.  Was going to order some from www.aria.co.uk cos I've bought some stuff off them before, but there's just pages and pages of stuff to chose from  bluedead.gif

http://www.aria.co.uk/productslist.asp?Submit=search&Category=27

A stick of "Corsair Value Select 512MB PC3200" that'd do the trick?  I've seen people saying not to mix and match different types of memory, would it be better to get 2 of the same brand and replace the lot rather than just putting one stick of this in alongside my generic ram, or are they just trying to sell me more stuff?

Cheers for the help mate!

Well my PSU hasn't really got enough juice for that card - something which set in motion a chain of events which is rapidly seeing my upgrade plans spiralling out of control  :lol:

Thought if I was going to have to install a new PSU I might as well get a PCI-E motherboard cos I'll have to do it eventually anyway.  And if I get a new motherboard, I either hold it back by getting one compatible with my CPU, or get a new CPU.  And now I have a PCi-E slot so I might as well get a decent PCI-E graphics card etc. By which point I was thinking "Well, pointless getting that graphics card if it's going to be held back by the memory" etc until i ended up with this monumental shopping list:

Memory £130:

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS3 (MY-039-CS)

Motherboard £58:

Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard

PSU £24:

Q-Tec 650W Triple Fan Gold PSU

Processor £130:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm (Socket 939)

GFX Card £170:

PowerColor ATI Radeon X1800 GTO 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Extra HDD £53:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB

Which comes to a wallet busting total of £565  blueeek.gif

However it would leave me with a PC that I can upgrade to a dual core processor, bewer PCI-E graphics cards etc, so hopefully that's the painful bit over with and future upgrades will be more minor.