Football violence

Guest smoggeordie

Guest NIToon

There seems to be a general problem with European police forces. although I have to say fair dues to the sausage eaters at the world cup, who actually seemed to be abit more relaxed than their reputation would suggest.

The thing that really gets me is that if it was English police the cries would be going out from all over Europe about heavy handedness and breach of Human Rights.  It seems that this is the only country where that applies and that European forces have free reign especially in Italy.  For every European match there should be a fairly large contingent of the local plod going out to act as liaison with Johnny Foreigner and explain the cultural differences beforer wading in with their tear gas and batons.  England has worked hard to clean up the problem of football violence, it's a about time the rest of Europe followed suit. [/rant] :police:

I got hit in the face and throat by a steward and a copper in Marseille, the fans were great though. We got a round of applause when we finally got out of the ground from the Marseille fans.

That said there are some dodgy area's around that place and we were threatened the day before (I think) by a group of lads.

There seems to be a general problem with European police forces. although I have to say fair dues to the sausage eaters at the world cup, who actually seemed to be abit more relaxed than their reputation would suggest.

The thing that really gets me is that if it was English police the cries would be going out from all over Europe about heavy handedness and breach of Human Rights.  It seems that this is the only country where that applies and that European forces have free reign especially in Italy.  For every European match there should be a fairly large contingent of the local plod going out to act as liaison with Johnny Foreigner and explain the cultural differences beforer wading in with their tear gas and batons.  England has worked hard to clean up the problem of football violence, it's a about time the rest of Europe followed suit. [/rant] :police:

A good idea, but then you get some forces in this country who are absolutely fucking clueless, and wouldn't be able to tell Johnny F how to police a Summer Fayre, never mind a match.

Until the filth in places like Italy end their relationship with the "ultras", its never going to change. The concept of polic no-go areas in certain grounds, organised ambushes and murder of police officers in any other country would lead to a clamp down by the rozzers. In Italy, they still turn a blind eye to the badness as long as there's foreigners to batter.

Mind, some of the travelling Man Utd fans can be utter cunts as well. But thats hardly an excuse to hit them with sticks.

anyone in milan for our game will know the way the local plod react to the behaviour of the home fans.strangly though for all the bravado in the stadium there was no sign of them outside by the time we got out.......wonder why.

best coppers abroad were in metz

Guest Gemmill

I got hit in the face and throat by a steward and a copper in Marseille, the fans were great though. We got a round of applause when we finally got out of the ground from the Marseille fans.

That said there are some dodgy area's around that place and we were threatened the day before (I think) by a group of lads.

Threatened by a French lad though.  Is that not like being challenged to an arm wrestle by an anorexic?

Guest NIToon

More eye witness accounts which would explain the chair wielding mancs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6528715.stm

Northern Ireland fans of Manchester United were caught up in the violence which marred Wednesday night's Champions League match against Roma.

There were clashes outside the ground and more trouble inside, with visiting supporters claiming that they were attacked with batons by Italian police.

BBC NI journalist Joel Taggart said he was punched to the ground by a Roma fan as he approached the ticket gate.

He said police also "took out" fans indiscriminately inside the ground.

He said three other fans he talked to entering the ground said they had been ambushed by Roma "ultra" fans, one of them being hit with a miniature baton.

Mr Taggart said the clashes with police happened after Roma scored their first goal and their fans started to taunt United fans on the other side of a perspex partition.

"I can only assume that the police felt there was a chance they were going to force their way through the fence and they just stormed down the stairwell on the United side of the fence knocking people over, basically trying to get in between the two sides," he said.

This then "provoked a response" among the United fans, Mr Taggart said.

"There was then 10 or 15 minutes of the police trying to regain ground and they just indiscriminately took out anybody who was in their way," he said.

"It was good fortune that we weren't in that particular area of the ground - we saw women being beaten out of the way, there were men, children - whoever was there was knocked out of the way."

He said some United fans then started fighting with the police - some throwing chairs - leading to about 10 minutes of sustained clashes.

This Northern Irish Utd fan said he was hit with a police baton while helping a female supporter

Mr Taggart said missiles had also been thrown by both sets of fans during the game, and the whole incident had been very frightening.

"It was so indiscriminate, I think that was the most frightening thing," he said.

"It sort of edged closer and closer towards you and you feared even a crush situation because the people who started the game standing in the stairwells, standing in the aisles, had absolutely nowhere to go."

Another Northern Irish fan at the match said he was hit on the head with a police baton while trying to help a female fan.  He also accused the police of indiscriminate attacks.

Rome police said 18 United fans and two Roma fans needed medical treatment as a result of incidents inside and outside the stadium.

UEFA has announced they will launch an investigation into the night's events.

Guest andynufc84

Just been listening to William Gaillard (UEFA director of communications) on SSN talking on this subject

He clearly didn't have a clue what was going on and what UEFA are going to do about this. When asked by the lad off SSN he was just coming out with 'err well err we have easter weekend coming up' he couldn't answer one question put to him with any clarity whatsoever.

UEFA have been weak imo, they should have announced immediately after the game that there would be a thorough investigation surely?

Guest Geordiesned

A good idea, but then you get some forces in this country who are absolutely fucking clueless, and wouldn't be able to tell Johnny F how to police a Summer Fayre, never mind a match.

Until the filth in places like Italy end their relationship with the "ultras", its never going to change. The concept of polic no-go areas in certain grounds, organised ambushes and murder of police officers in any other country would lead to a clamp down by the rozzers. In Italy, they still turn a blind eye to the badness as long as there's foreigners to batter.

Mind, some of the travelling Man Utd fans can be utter cunts as well. But thats hardly an excuse to hit them with sticks.

English forces do travel to away European matches. There's always a contingent of undercover Northumbria police when we play in Europe. The idea is that they're obviously supposed to liaise with the local police however this doesn't always happen. In Palermo I have it on good authority that the Italian police told their English counterparts to "Fuck off home". Nice.

Threatened by a French lad though.  Is that not like being challenged to an arm wrestle by an anorexic?

:D I think some of them were immigrants aswell, and we all know immigrants are bad guys! ;)

Why are the Manc's innocent??  Both are tossers. 

Erm.  Did you see the way the Riot Police were all in the Man U end, just watching the Roma fans lobbing all sorts over?  That's provocation.  If the police had been on both sides, hell, just ROMA's side, this would have been a lot less likely to happen.  It was a typical "Get the English, they're the real trouble" mentality from the Italians.  More likely, though, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a deliberate move on the Police's part not to make matters worse and have a running battle between the Police and Roma fans.  Sort of "let them (Mancs) have it, we can then use the usual English are trouble story".

Can't believe you're blaming the Man U fans.  At all.  That guy with the chair, I'd have been doing that if I was there.  You're being attacked by the very people put there to protect you, cause they're too s*** scared to take on their own people.  f****** scum, the cops, the Roma fans, the whole lot.

I'm not blaming them, Bluf.  However, I don't think they're innocent of any wrong doing.  I said in the CL thread that the coppers over there are baton happy and especially towards the English.  The whole thing is a damn shame. 

Erm.  Did you see the way the Riot Police were all in the Man U end, just watching the Roma fans lobbing all sorts over?  That's provocation.  If the police had been on both sides, hell, just ROMA's side, this would have been a lot less likely to happen.  It was a typical "Get the English, they're the real trouble" mentality from the Italians.  More likely, though, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a deliberate move on the Police's part not to make matters worse and have a running battle between the Police and Roma fans.  Sort of "let them (Mancs) have it, we can then use the usual English are trouble story".

Can't believe you're blaming the Man U fans.  At all.  That guy with the chair, I'd have been doing that if I was there.  You're being attacked by the very people put there to protect you, cause they're too s*** scared to take on their own people.  f****** scum, the cops, the Roma fans, the whole lot.

I'm not blaming them, Bluf.  However, I don't think they're innocent of any wrong doing.  I said in the CL thread that the coppers over there are baton happy and especially towards the English.  The whole thing is a damn shame. 

To be fair, some Man U fans could take some responsibility.  Maybe not the ones in the stadium, but when you're advised not to go to the stadium alone, and then do so, you're asking for it, I'm afraid.

You're right though, damn shame.  Just seen the head of police, or something like, on the BBC.  The whitewash has begun, he said something along the lines of "It's a hobby for the English to blame the police", that as may be, but the rest of the world has eyes, too.  Fucking Italians.

To be fair, some Man U fans could take some responsibility.  Maybe not the ones in the stadium, but when you're advised not to go to the stadium alone, and then do so, you're asking for it, I'm afraid.

You're right though, damn shame.  Just seen the head of police, or something like, on the BBC.  The whitewash has begun, he said something along the lines of "It's a hobby for the English to blame the police", that as may be, but the rest of the world has eyes, too.  f****** Italians.

The worst part is that all this will come down to is a blame game and nothing gets done, as per usual.  I was watching the report on skysports.com (link below) and the police seemed to be sparked after the Manc's broke the line of security and ran to the dividing glass.  The question here is, why the fuck did the police beat the Manc's and not the Eyeties?  Neither are innocent, but was the beating called for? 

Beat the Mancs

Guest Micktoon

Makes me f****** blood boil watching that. Scum.

Me as well, f****** Italian coppers have hated the English since the 1990 world cup. Why the f*** was it only the Mancs that got a pasting, scared f****** shitless of upsetting there own. It's about time the f****** authorities did something about this. When was the last time someone was stabbed at a European game in England? Every f****** time an English side plays in Italy some poor bugger gets knifed. Cowardly f****** wops with weapons, hate the fuckers.

:D I think some of them were immigrants aswell, and we all know immigrants are bad guys! ;)

Marseille is a bit rough.

Working class port city like Liverpool or Glasgow but with tons of Moroccan and Tunisian immigrants

Guest Geordiesned

Marseille is a bit rough.

Working class port city like Liverpool or Glasgow but with tons of Moroccan and Tunisian immigrants

The Marseille stewards were just as handy as their fans over there! Most of them it has to be said were of African decent and the speculation was that they were seeking revenge for England fans causing bother in the 98 World Cup.

Most of them it has to be said were of African decent and the speculation was that they were seeking revenge for England fans causing bother in the 98 World Cup.

Although I know it shouldnt be... that was totally brilliant!! Shearer scored that header vs Tunisia and all hell broke loose :lol: