Emre: I'm gannin neewhere

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Emre happy to continue his career in Toon

Apr 5 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Emre has pledged his future to Newcastle United even though he admits there have been offers for from German clubs Bayern Munich and Hertha Berlin, (writes Alan Oliver).

But, perhaps significantly, the Turkish midfielder says that if United would benefit from him moving he would "think about it".

Emre is hoping for a place in United's starting line-up against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on Saturday after being left on the bench against Manchester City.

He is desperate to thank Newcastle for the support they gave him in the charge of racist abuse - a charge that was deemed by the FA Disciplinary Commission to be "not proven."

And he says: "My plan from now on is to best serve Newcastle United for the way they gave me such support.

"I have a contract at St James' Park until 2010 and I am happy with my life here. I would like to stay now I have been cleared of those charges.

"But if the club say they would benefit from my moving then I would think about it."

Bayern Munich's interest in Emre has been known for some time, and the Chronicle revealed on March 19 that Hertha Berlin were also keen on the 26-year-old Turkish international.

It was in the summer of 2001 that a then 19-year-old Emre left Turkey in a move from Galatasaray to Inter Milan, but he still suffers from a bit of homesickness.

That's one of the reasons why United brought his Turkish compatriot Erol Bulut, who shares the same agent as Emre, across to St James' Park for a couple of days' training this week. But United have absolutely no intention of signing the 32-year-old Turk, even though he can play in the position they need to fill more than any other in the close season - left-back.

Indeed, Glenn Roeder told me today: "I am looking to bring in players who are under 25 and whose best days are in front of them, not behind them."

www.chroniclelive.co.uk

Guest andynufc84

So this is the reason why we brought this Turkish left back to the club, because Emre is homesick. BUT they have no intention of signing him?? And becasue he shares the same agent as Emre WTF??

Guest andynufc84

So this is the reason why we brought this Turkish left back to the club, because Emre is homesick. BUT they have no intention of signing him?? And becasue he shares the same agent as Emre WTF??

Yeah, sounds pretty mad.

This club is becoming more and more of a joke FFS

I actually thought you had added that but I've just been to the site and it really says that, unfortunatly with it being a fight between Newcastle telling the truth or the Chronicle I have really don't have a clue who to believe.

Yeah, sounds pretty mad.

Rather this reason than to sign him.

IT worked before, the guy wanted away for a few days himself, Emre needed a pal, and we got a chance to look at a player and he might of just done a job, but no harm looking.

Can't see any harm in what we've done, it will of cost a plane ticket if that.

Well, if he's pining for Turkish company he'll be happier in Germany, where there are loads of Turkish immigrants. Berlin has the biggest population, and counts as the fifth largest Turkish city in the world, but I don't know if any Turks play for Hertha.

Haha, Emre needs Rent-A-Friend.  What a billy no mates!

Martins was his only other mate, but he's scarpered since he found out Emre randomly racially abuses people without meaning to. Some sort of racist tourretes.

Allegedly. ;)

Well, if he's pining for Turkish company he'll be happier in Germany, where there are loads of Turkish immigrants. Berlin has the biggest population, and counts as the fifth largest Turkish city in the world, but I don't know if any Turks play for Hertha.

Yıldıray Baştürk plays with Hertha but I think he may be out of contract at the end of the season.

Guest Albert Ayler

Yeah, sounds pretty mad.

Taking care of our better players and trying to keep them happy, good man management by Roeder.

Wonder what wage they pay for "players mates", could be a career opportunity there like :D

I could pass for Turkish (apparently) could brush up on my accent and take a few Turkish history lessons for £20,000 a week.

Yeah, sounds pretty mad.

Taking care of our better players and trying to keep them happy, good man management by Roeder.

how long should we keep someone random around to keep a very ordinary, oft-disappearing midfielder happy?

Are there no turkish people in Newcastle he could make friends with??