Toon's greatest ever CB

Guest given take

Woodgate, if he had the injury record of someone like Lampard we would be a completely different team now! (although we probably wouldn't have been able to afford him!)

Agree. Though if he had an injury record like Lampard he'd of been away to one of the top four a long time ago tbh.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I would be very surprised if Moncur had the ability level of Woodgate. Fact is on ability Woodgate is the best we've had. FACT.

Moncur was a leader and strong, Woodgate was quicker and more assured on the ball, a close call but Woodgate would just shade it as the better player, but for contribution to the club it is Moncur without question as Woodgate wasn't here long enough.

I thought Steve Howey at his peak few years was a better defender than Albert.

Ollie Burton also played alongside Moncur, and was very underrated. He made the switch from being a defensive midfield player to a centre half, played in the Fairs Cup Winning team and the settled back four of Craig, Burton, Moncur, Clark played most of the games when we set our defensive record and played in the best overall defence we have had at Newcastle in my time.

However, Irving Nattrass played most of his time at right back, like Ollie Burton he was versatile, but he should have played centre back because when he DID play there, he was the best IMO. When Gordon Lee was manager of Newcastle he saw this and tried to buy John Gidman from Villa to play right back and Nattrass in central defence, but he couldn't get Gidman so it didn't become a permanent switch like Burton did.

Best I ever saw was Woodgate, but he wasn't around long enough to be described as the "greatest".

Moncur, on the other hand, played 296 games in black and white, captained both Newcastle and Scotland, and led the Toon to victory in the Fairs Cup, scoring three goals in the two-legged final before hoisting the trophy – the only goals he ever scored for us.

Can you compare his game to Woodgate's? I dunno. I saw him often enough when I was a kid, but memory dims. He was my hero back then, though. And Joe Harvey described him as "the supreme sweeper and a most valuable asset both to Newcastle United and Scotland".

Guest Knightrider

Bill McCracken - the man who invented the modern off-side trap.

Woodgate is by far the best defender I've seen in a Toon top and of any defender live at close quarters, simply an outstanding all-round defender.

Bill McCracken - the man who invented the modern off-side trap.

Woodgate is by far the best defender I've seen in a Toon top and of any defender live at close quarters, simply an outstanding all-round defender.

Indeed, like you mate I am interested in these old players, I would also like to have seen Frank Brennan, shame they don't have video clips.

Guest Knightrider

Aye, they reckon Brennan was a beast of a defender, a very tough man by all accounts. Read the stuff about him in the book of heroes? Fabulous stuff.

Aye, they reckon Brennan was a beast of a defender, a very tough man by all accounts. Read the stuff about him in the book of heroes? Fabulous stuff.

Do you mean the copy of "Cult Heroes" that I have signed by Tony Green and Malcolm Macdonald  8)  ;D

Actually - not yet !!!!

Guest Knightrider

McCracken is a good call, he was a right back though not a centre half

Right half actually, i.e. right sided centre-back.

Guest Knightrider

Do you mean the copy of "Cult Heroes" that I have signed by Tony Green and Malcolm Macdonald  8)  ;D

Actually - not yet !!!!

It is a good read, very interesting.

I would say that Woodgate was better than Moncur but Moncur was more important to our history because of the games he played and what he won.  I guess it would depend on how you came to the conclusion that one was better than the other.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

ie a right back.

ie a right back.

Wasn't this in the days when they played 2-4-4? Surely they only had two defenders?