UFC Thread

Stacked should be class. Nog v Herring (Nog to win by sub) Tito v Rashad (Tito by ref stoppage, GNP) Sherk v Franca (Not sure on this one, probably Sherk though) and Anderson silva vs that guy whos name I've forgot. Silva to win though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
UFC LIVE on Setanta Sports 1

Setanta will be the only place to watch UFC 75, the first UFC super-card to take place in London in five years exclusively live throughout the UK this September.

The sold out UFC 75 will take place at London's O2 and will be headlined by the historic collisions between the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion, Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson and PRIDE FC counterpart Dan Henderson and is only available to Setanta Sports subscribers and is not available as a pay per view event.

UFC 75 will also feature an eagerly awaited grudge match as Britain's own undefeated UFC superstar Michael 'the Count' Bisping will attempt to settle an old score when he battles former Ultimate Fighter Season 3 teammate and bitter rival Matt 'the Hammer' Hamill in a three round light heavyweight contest.

Good stuff :)

Don't really understand this "MMA is better than boxing" lark like.... What do you mean better, and what specifically is better about it than the other? Some fights are more exciting.... Possibly, sometimes so, but not always. In my opinion to say this means you don't understand boxing or appreciate it for what it is. They're too different to compare, and financially MMA is still a long way off the size of boxing as a global spectacle and sport (although the less money involved is not neccessarily a bad thing!).

Don't really understand this "MMA is better than boxing" lark like.... What do you mean better, and what specifically is better about it than the other? Some fights are more exciting.... Possibly, sometimes so, but not always. In my opinion to say this means you don't understand boxing or appreciate it for what it is. They're too different to compare, and financially MMA is still a long way off the size of boxing as a global spectacle and sport (although the less money involved is not neccessarily a bad thing!).

What's better?  Everything.  Boxing is fucking boring, too long and has been ruined by criminals such as Don King.  Take the striking of boxing, add everything else in the world of combat sports and you have MMA.  There are so many different ways to win a fight and any fighter has the ability to beat another.  It just takes one mental slip to lose a fight. 

I don't really understand the lark about you giving an opinion on a subject you know nothing about?  Global spectacle, when was the last time a boxing match of importance was held anywhere outside the U.S.?  As for the financial aspect, the UFC will gross more from PPV than boxing this year.  Bet on it. 

:)

Sorry if I offended you - I wasn't trying to start some sort of pathetic online war with you. I'm just saying it's a matter of opinion on what you prefer. I personally think boxing requires more nous but that's just my opinion. I have a feeling a lot of these cage fights are between idiots pumped up on roids, with little to zero skill - with the only ability being a psychotic thug. If this works, great. And it sure can be fun to watch. However, you simply couldn't just put one of these idiots in a ring and expect them to be able to box for example. However as you are well aware though boxers can jump ship and be very competitive... this should say sometihng. A real master like Ali has grace, skill, nous, and conditioning. There are many boxers who have small brains but the greatest are not just thugs but clever fighters - it's not so much an all out brawl or grapple on the floor which UFC tends to be.

If you think boxing is "fucking boring" then you're not the best judge to compare are you! I do watch both, but just can't understand the sudden outburst of people like you who seem to NEED to shout it's better than boxing - why?

As for not knowing anything about the sport, I actually boxed with Empire in Blythe from the ages of 14 - 20 and was a northern junior ABA champion, national finalist, and senior Northern ABA Finalist.

And another thing I don't understand - why does the governing body of the UFC not allow the drugs monitoring team responsible for all main sports (including boxing - forget the name) regulate their fighers? Does this not make you ask some questions?

• 4 months later...

UFC 79 tonight.  Pretty good card with Liddell vs. Silva and Hughes vs. The French Karate God George "Rush" St. Pierre.  I'll be on pins and needles pulling for my fellow Francophone Countryman.  He demolished Hughes last time out, but hasn't had the same amount of time to train as Hughes as Serra had to back out. 

This is probably the biggest card in UFC history, hope it lives up to the billing.  :thup:

Not that anybody cares, but GSP just reassured the masses that he's the best welterweight fighter in the world.  Canaduh!!!  :thup:

Liddell Vs. Silva was a sick fight too!  A good battle to watch. 

I'd have loved to have seen Serra vs Hughes, but I think GSP has proved that Hughes isn't the force he used to think he was. Always comes across a complete prick on TV, so wanted Serra to teach him a lesson.

Not that anybody cares, but GSP just reassured the masses that he's the best welterweight fighter in the world.  Canaduh!!!  :thup:

Liddell Vs. Silva was a sick fight too!  A good battle to watch. 

I'd have loved to have seen Serra vs Hughes, but I think GSP has proved that Hughes isn't the force he used to think he was. Always comes across a complete prick on TV, so wanted Serra to teach him a lesson.

Hughes couldn't do anything against GSP, the farm boy was totally outclassed.  In the post fight interview GSP alluded to breaking Hughes arm and that he was sorry if it had popped.  I could tell by the smirk on his face that he was real sorry about it.  ;)

I think you'll still see Serra Vs. Hughes after GSP destroys Serra in the spring.  I could see it being and October retirement fight for both of them. 

Devastated the Axe murderer lost. GSP is awesome like.

Lost 3 out of 3 in the UFC now hasn't he? What is it with all of these Pride fighters looking poor in the cage? (apart from Jackson).

Can't see how Serra can beat GSP unless he catches him with a lucky punch again.

Wanderlei lost 2 fights in pride, and then against chuck in the ufc. I wouldnt say he looked poor to be fair, I thought he was class in the second round.

He ate some mean shots and gave a focused Liddell a run for his money.  He keeps fighting like that and he'll be back for sure. 

• Yorkie changed the title to UFC Thread