Same league position this time last year

LateRegistration

8th at best this season, I'd say. Still sticking with a prediction of 9th at the minute. Portsmouth's goal difference is 11 better than ours, I think, and they're 6 points ahead. Quite a tall order to topple with only 6 games to play.

There is the danger that our lads will see the season as being done now we've staved-off any relegation talk, today will be a good measuring stick as to how the other 5 games will go. If we win today, we could definitely scrape 8th (Reading do have an "easier" run-in than we do and we have to go to their place, mind) - although there are still some testing games to come - and I have to say it would be a fairly decent achievement in the end after enduring a mammoth European campaign and an appalling injury crisis.

I could be wrong, but if Man Utd/Chelsea contest the FA Cup final, then 8th equates to qualification for the Intertoto Cup, does it not?

...And, God forbid, would Tottenham winning the UEFA bump that down to 9th?

dont we only have to finish higher than blackburn for the intertoto ?  which mean them and us scrapping for 8th place

Portsmouth may still yet apply if they finish outside of the europe qualifying league positions, so we'll probably have to finish above them if they don't.

8th at best this season, I'd say. Still sticking with a prediction of 9th at the minute. Portsmouth's goal difference is 11 better than ours, I think, and they're 6 points ahead. Quite a tall order to topple with only 6 games to play.

There is the danger that our lads will see the season as being done now we've staved-off any relegation talk, today will be a good measuring stick as to how the other 5 games will go. If we win today, we could definitely scrape 8th (Reading do have an "easier" run-in than we do and we have to go to their place, mind) - although there are still some testing games to come - and I have to say it would be a fairly decent achievement in the end after enduring a mammoth European campaign and an appalling injury crisis.

I could be wrong, but if Man Utd/Chelsea contest the FA Cup final, then 8th equates to qualification for the Intertoto Cup, does it not?

Good points but we've still to play pompey next week, so we can close it down to 3 points. A lot will probably boil down to that game.

I hope we finish 17th. Roeder putting together a run of results, taking us into a European place, would probaly be the worst thing that could happen to this club - long term.

Guest TheOrder

I hope we finish 17th. Roeder putting together a run of results, taking us into a European place, would probaly be the worst thing that could happen to this club - long term.

Mug-tastic.

Mug-tastic.

I rate Matty Pattison over Emre. So fuck, that's not ludicrous, it's an opinion based on my footballing knowledge.

I'll take you disagreeing with me as a complement.

Guest TheOrder

Quite sad you actually researched that. Crikey. IIRC that was based upon my footbally knowledge of Pattison in the academy, anyway.

Once again, very forum-research-tastic :D

dont we only have to finish higher than blackburn for the intertoto ?  which mean them and us scrapping for 8th place

Portsmouth may still yet apply if they finish outside of the europe qualifying league positions, so we'll probably have to finish above them if they don't.

Good points but we've still to play pompey next week, so we can close it down to 3 points. A lot will probably boil down to that game.

This was discussed yesterday, and i believe our current position will be intertoto if it's a manu chelsea final, since apparently pompy and reading havent applied.

I think we can finish at 8th, especially if we can get a good result against Portsmouth on Saturday, and if Owen can come back strong. That will probably be good enough for Intertoto.

Roeder isn't getting sacked either way, so to hope we don't finish in Europe just so Roeder will look bad, isn't a good way to look at it. Getting Intertoto again this year might help us get better players, so I'm hoping for it. The other thing is, if we can put a good run together and some of our players who we know we are going to sell can start to look better than mediocre, we may be able to get more for them. I just don't see the logic in hoping that we lose.