Oliver compliments Martins

Nicky

:o

Link

Toon show their Sheffield steel

Apr 9 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United finally found some bottle to leave Sheffield United bobbing around in the murky waters of relegation.

But the one complaint is that at times United did not manage to take the top off that bottle as they threw away not only some great opportunities, but also some great situations in front of the Blades' erratic keeper, Paddy Kenny.

However, this has to be a minor complaint in the city renowned for its steel. Glenn Roeder became the first visiting manager to win a Premiership match at Bramall Lane this year - the first United boss to do so since Joe Harvey in 1972-73.

His team followed his instructions to the letter to fight for the right to play their football.

As well as plenty of bottle, United introduced some much-needed steel into their side, and I have to say I thought young Steven Taylor put in a real terrific performance at the back - not to mention of course his match-winning goal.

I also have to say that when substitute Christian Nade knocked in Sheffield United's 74th-minute equaliser I felt there was only going to be one winner - and it wasn't Newcastle.

But I was wrong and you have to give Roeder and his team every credit for this victory against what was not, to be fair, a good Sheffield United team but at what is a very difficult place to win.

I found a bit of paper with a guess at Roeder's formation on in the home dug-out after the game and it could not have been more wrong with Stephen Carr at right back, Damien Duff at left-back and James Milner on the left.

Although I am always happy to see Kieron Dyer in United's starting line-up because of his ability to run at defences, there was nothing wrong with the manager's selection and tactics - something acknowledged by the Toon Army's chants of `Roeder, Roeder, give us a wave'.

But managers often wave goodbye to their jobs when players miss sitters like the one Oba Martins squandered in the last away game at The Valley, and the one Antoine Sibierski somehow managed to pass up at Bramall Lane in the second half.

A second goal would have killed the Blades off and, after some amazing play from Martins, the Frenchman had several options just 10 yards out with Kenny stranded by the corner flag.

But he took the only one that would have caused him to miss by blazing the ball over the top.

It was only Taylor's absolutely outstanding performance which stopped Martins from getting my man of the match, and there was certainly more urgency in the little Nigerian's first and possibly last display at Bramall Lane.

His 17th goal of the season - this time with his right foot - was scant reward for Martins, and it put him in sight of a nice round 20 in his first season as a Newcastle United player. And it only just stopped United extending their goal drought in the Premiership to another round figure - 400 minutes.

*faints*

Next he'll be demanding a new contract for Titus.

I found a bit of paper with a guess at Roeder's formation on in the home dug-out after the game and it could not have been more wrong with Stephen Carr at right back, Damien Duff at left-back and James Milner on the left.

Blatant lie.

Guest smoggeordie

Blatant lie.

I think we should plant a piece of paper saying "Alan Oliver is a tit. Signed: M Owen" and see if next weeks headline is "Roeder demands Owen sale" :lol:

Blatant lie.

I think we should plant a piece of paper saying "Alan Oliver is a tit. Signed: M Owen" and see if next weeks headline is "Roeder demands Owen sale" :lol:

:lol:

James Milner on the left? Why on earth would Warnock guess that when Duff and N'Zogbia are fit and Milner hasn't played on the left for ages?

Alan Oliver does it again. He can't help it can he?

Have to say, reverting to the initial subject, that Oliver should praise Martins when he has a good game, just like he slates him when he doesn't. Nice to see his apparent vendetta against him isn't past the point of no return yet. Thing is, he was probably trying to subtley take credit for it after his recent criticisms of him.

"Thanks to MY articles, Obafemi Martins played far, far better today than he has done for a long time."

Although I am always happy to see Kieron Dyer in United's starting line-up because of his ability to run at defences, there was nothing wrong with the manager's selection and tactics - something acknowledged by the Toon Army's chants of `Roeder, Roeder, give us a wave'.

What a load of rubbish. :lol: The fans also sang, "Saunders, Saunders give us a wave" at Loftus Road when we played Yeading a couple of years back.

Guest Gemmill

Blatant lie.

What the fuck was he doing picking up litter in the home dugout anyway the fucking tramp? :lol: Licking gravy off used pie wrappers tbh.

Guest BooBoo

Olivers back on Martins back tonight, claiming Oba was "back to his worst after being so lively at Brammel Lane".

Olivers back on Martins back tonight, claiming Oba was "back to his worst after being so lively at Brammel Lane".

I'd love for Oliver to be a journalist for Arsenal, it would have been most entertaining over the years to see him slagging the fuck out of their foreigners and blacks as they ran away with league titles.

Guest Gemmill

I'd love for Oliver to be a journalist for Arsenal, it would have been most entertaining over the years to see him slagging the fuck out of their foreigners and blacks as they ran away with league titles.

".....with the usually inept Michael Thomas somehow finding himself in a position to score a goal that won the league title for Arsenal.  Despite the crowd's celebrations, the Arsenal faithful are anything but stupid, and if he thinks this repays them for his usual performances, he's got another think coming."

Guest BooBoo

I think Oba has put in some crappy performance lately but not yesterday. He covered a lot of ground and as such was the no shows from Dyer and his replacement Zog, he had to continually forage for the ball, resulting in him getting the ball deep or out wide. I never thought i'd say it, but we really missed Sibierskis presence yesterday. It makes me wonder whether Oba and Owen is really going to be an effective pairing.

I think it was more a case of him playing upfront yesterday with either Dyer, Emre or N'Zogbia - none of which are strikers and don't really know what to do up there. Owen is a completely different breed, and playing upfront with a proper player rather than either an old, slow bald French bloke, a total waster or a central midfielder will make a whole lot of difference. He's having to do everything up there