A Physical Quantification of the Progress of Newcastle United

Guest nufc_geordie

Guest nufc_geordie

Just wondering what the views of people on here are about how they would feel regarding the progress of Newcastle.

If there was a positive derivative of league position with repect to dt where dt is time in seasons would everyone be happy? By this I mean if Newcastle say finished 13th this season, twelth next season, eleventh the season after would you be happy? Or would you demand success in a quicker fashion?

Newcastle at the moment have a trend of a negative derivative and seem to be heading backwards with which I really am not happy, but for me as long as the overall derivative of success was positive no matter how slowly I would be happy.

Views?

Disregarding all that crap, you're asking would I be happy if we stayed mid-table for the next three seasons? No, not really. The kind of progress that manifests itself in a one position jump up the league table is barely progress at all.

I expect diminishing rates of marginal returns, with less effort required to increase league position at the lower end, and a huge amount of effort required to move from 2nd to 1st.

Guest elbee909

Just wondering what the views of people on here are about how they would feel regarding the progress of Newcastle.

If there was a positive derivative of league position with repect to dt where dt is time in seasons would everyone be happy? By this I mean if Newcastle say finished 13th this season, twelth next season, eleventh the season after would you be happy? Or would you demand success in a quicker fashion?

Newcastle at the moment have a trend of a negative derivative and seem to be heading backwards with which I really am not happy, but for me as long as the overall derivative of success was positive no matter how slowly I would be happy.

Views?

Pointless mathematical shoehorning.  Can only talk of these 'derivatives' in hindsight too, if we were improving at that sort of snail's pace then I'd be worried that we'd just as easily fall back down the table if any other club moved up a gear during the same period.

It is impossible to chart league positions over time, and create as model of us going up or down.

Sport is a random walk. We have a moving average, but it is unusual for us to match our average, instead finding ourselves in a position above or below, with probabilities determined by either a normal distribution or a negative skew.

No because our current position belies the resources we have at our disposal.

Whatever anyone says, it's not normal for one of the richest clubs in the world with the 2nd biggest (now 3rd) attendance in the land to wallow in mid-table season after season. Look at the foreign leagues, it doesn't happen often and it's a surprise when it does. Newcastle is not achieving its potential, so another few seasons of mid-table mediocrity simply isn't acceptable. There are no excuses given our resources and Shepherd and the people he has appointed must take responsibility for that.

I don't accept this "face it we're mid-table mediocrity now, 8th would be a good finish next season"  crap. I don't see any other clubs with the resources we have underachieving so spectacularly and so consistently. Not here, not anywhere. It's time to stop feeling sorry for ourselves when clubs like Everton and Bolton are challenging Arsenal for 4th. We should be up there and there's no reason why we can't be with the right management set up, Bobby Robson showed us that just a few years ago.

am not into statistics, but this debate is comon amoungst share traders......can data collection and analysis predict possible future price movements.  There is something called a moving average that shows over time the general trend...ie up or down!

If the position of a prem league club is directly related to income (1)  manager (2)  players (3)  board (4)  etc.  These variables could be given a number a relation to each other, their movement tracked. I guess you are creating an index.

There must be a simulation of this data behind the programming of the football manager series. 

ok thers a few random ideas for you!

Going by that, ours is most pleasing to the eye at least. Like the rolling hills of the Northumberland countryside.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You make my day Keefaz :p

I would prefer the Everton model. Progressing with stability without breaking the bank.

If it was the Eurovision, I was hoping for this

http://www.animalize.de/LORDI.jpg

but got this instead

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41669000/jpg/_41669078_dazbigafp.jpg