Would you appoint Roeder now?

Guest nufc_geordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest nufc_geordie

I saidafter as couple of games of Roeder's tenure that I like the way  the guy conducts himself and the way that the team play with freedom.. I woudn't be peronally dissappointed if he was offered the job,

I would not be disappointed either...But i at least hope we have "tried" for Hitzfeld, Hiddink and managers of those kind of class

I like Roeders style..it's calm..but changes things and tells one thing or another when needed..instead of go out and fight till you are dead..

As good as he's been I just think he will be amazing with the youth players and that is the future of this club so I see this as his ideal role. As some have said, he may be too ambitious for this and take a top job elsewhere; thus if the only way to keep him is to appoint him as manager I would do that, but also bring in a director of football above him.

I will, assuming the other choices are among Martin O'Neill, Allardyce and the like.

Newcastle under him play good football. He is a sensible person. He is from within Newcastle United (a bonus, not a must). He was/is a academy coach, so he knows the importance of young players.

Just that we don't know how skillful he is in player transfers. I know little of him when he was in charge of West Ham.

If Roeder was our 4th or 5th choice, and Hitzfield, O'Neill, Hiddink, etc. rejected us, then I don't see how anyone could be dissapointed with his appointment.  I think he could really push the top 4 if we're shrewd in the transfer market.

That being said, we'd have to have some sort of solution to finish out the end of the season.  We either have 1 or 2 games at the end, which have turned out to be very, very important.  So I hope some solution can be reached that will allow him to stay on the touchline.

Guest newcastle4life

if i knew what managers Freddy wants i could decide if Roeder would do better he deserves it it will have to be somebody good after the job he has done donvincing position moved to top 7 when relegation was possible under souness if only it was earlier he was caretaker manager

No - not until managers like ONeill, Scolari, Lippi, Svenn, etc, actually turn us down and all were left with are the likes of Ranieri, Mancini, Houllier, etc. Yes to him then, as those managers are damaged goods.

Decent manager, doing a good job, but lets face it, weve won most of these games under him simply because hes got us doing the basics right, ie playing with width, motivation, correct positions, etc.

If anything, hes an indication of just how bad a manager Souness was. Souness had the players to be where those same players are now, but he blew it.

Roeder would be an OK appointment if our ambitions are top 6 - even then were all pretty unsure how hed be in the transfer market. If our ambitions are CL, then we need better.

Guest Howaythetoon

It really depends on who the alternatives are.

Word.

Must say, I'm leaning towards Roeder for that very reason because the alternatives don't inspire confidence, not the likes of Pearce, Curbishley, Scolari (unproven club wise), Mancini et al whose names seem to be gathering momentum as the likes of Hitzfeld and O'Neill appear to fade.

Guest Steven_MB

If he gets us into Europe then yes, the Transfer market skill is really only important in finding players who aren't famous, and we all know that FS will do most of it.

Guest eyeball_tickler

would be neither delighted or disgusted. if he got the job i'd back him. if he doesnt, then we can look forward to when bruce/o'leary gets the sack and he takes over again

If he gets us into Europe then yes, the Transfer market skill is really only important in finding players who aren't famous, and we all know that FS will do most of it.

Thats why we need someone with a stronger CV so that Freddy wont do it.

Transfer market skill is arguably as important as anything else involved in management. Unless were talking about appointing a DoF also, then this would be a black mark against Roeder, who doesnt strike me as a man wholl know much about world football given that only a few months ago he was working at the Academy.

This is why Scolari is so appealing for me and probably others - hell know the ins and outs of all the good players of at least two nations, Portugal and Brazil - on top of the tactical and man management skills hes displayed at international level, hes a big enough character to not stand for any shit from Freddy.

With Roeder at the helm, I can see Freddy undermining him in the transfer department.

Guest Howaythetoon

That's my only concern with Roeder, well, aside from tactics and dealing with pressure. He doesn't look the most hardnosed of managers and we need someone who will challenge Shepherd, who can dictate to him and not the other way around.

Guest Steven_MB

Of course Scolari, Hiddink, Hitzfeld and the other TOP coaches are better but does anyone think we  will get any of them? Though Scolari looks like he's ready to lave and doesn't have anywhere to go?

Guest Howaythetoon

I hope no-one who said "no" or "don't know" EVER said 'give Souness more time', because that would be too laughable even for us NUFC fans.

Well, I unashamedly said give Souness some patience, does that count?

I hope no-one who said "no" or "don't know" EVER said 'give Souness more time', because that would be too laughable even for us NUFC fans.

Why?

Because someone felt that the best course of action would be to stick with someone who would cost about £3m to pay off rather then sack him immediatly, they're not allowed to express an opinion on who they want next?