Carroll scores again for reserves

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

DAVID Edgar added to his New Year's Day strike against Man United's first team with the opener in Wednesday's 2-0 victory over the Red Devil's second string.

The visitors received a warning of things to come when Edgar got on the end of Matty Pattison's corner to head just inches over in the 20th minute.

And three minutes later the Canadian defender fired the Magpies in front, side-footing home from close range after Andy Carroll helped on a long throw from skipper Kris Gate.

Carroll (26) doubled the advantage, skipping inside two challenges before lashing past Tom Heaton after Edgar returned the favour for his team-mate with a raking crossfield ball.

Newcastle were always in control, and Jonny Godsmark was unlucky not to add a third when Heaton beat away his delicate chip after Carroll released the winger in the 35th minute.

Carroll was denied a carbon copy second just moments later, Heaton diving at the forward's feet to gather after the forward had danced around two challenges inside the area.

James Marwood, making his first league start at Reserve level, went close with a dipping 25-yard effort after the break.

The visitors should have halved the deficit just after the hour mark, Dong rattling the post with a stinging effort from 25 yards, before Fraser Forster did well to beat away Phil Marsh's shot after the substitute seized upon the rebound from close range.

NgaLula connected with Jamie Mullen's resulting corner, but his header was cleared from the line by Gate.

Mark Doninger then stung the palms of Heaton in the 69th minute with a 20-yard free-kick, but Lee Clark's side comfortably held on to finish their home campaign on a high.

.cock

Would sooner like to see Carroll given a start that Shola this season, tbh. Would definitely like to see Ameobi come back, before the season's out, without a doubt - but i think it'd be great if we had the chance to give Carroll a start at St James'.

Guest nufc_geordie

Would it really hurt to play Carroll alongside Martins for the rest of the season? We are safe now and Dyer/ Le Sib are not contributing beside Martins anyway so there is nothing to lose. If nothing else he is given the opportunity and the experi3nce in the way clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool give their young players a chance when things are sealed and delivered in the seasons gone by.

Would it really hurt to play Carroll alongside Martins for the rest of the season? We are safe now and Dyer/ Le Sib are not contributing beside Martins anyway so there is nothing to lose. If nothing else he is given the opportunity and the experi3nce in the way clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool give their young players a chance when things are sealed and delivered in the seasons gone by.

Of course it would hurt. Firstly we are only 5 pionts of the Intertoto and we have games against our fellow Euro contenders like Pompey, Reading and Blackburn. Then there is the fact that every league place is worth £500,000, so if we drop 4 places we lose £2 million.

Of course it would hurt. Firstly we are only 5 pionts of the Intertoto and we have games against our fellow Euro contenders like Pompey, Reading and Blackburn. Then there is the fact that every league place is worth £500,000, so if we drop 4 places we lose £2 million.

But the other options -

Sib: not really up to it

Dyer: nowhere near a striker

Erm......oh, hang on -

Owen: not fit

Ameobi: utter shite

Martins on his own: does not work.

We need to do SOMETHING.

But the other options -

Erm......oh, hang on -

Ameobi: utter s****

We need to do SOMETHING.

Though Sib complimented Martins very well against Sheffield United. I'd start that pairing against Pompey.

But the other options -

Erm......oh, hang on -

We need to do SOMETHING.

Though Sib complimented Martins very well against Sheffield United. I'd start that pairing against Pompey.

He can't do it consistently, or even for an entire game. He was worth it for half a season, but he's past it now.

But the other options -

Erm......oh, hang on -

We need to do SOMETHING.

He can't do it consistently, or even for an entire game. He was worth it for half a season, but he's past it now.

What does Carroll offer though? Who knows how he'd handle a hostile and pressured enviroment like Fratton Park in a game we cannot afford to lose.

While I agree he needs to be broken into the first team soon I don't think Saturday is the right time ot do it.

But the other options -

Erm......oh, hang on -

We need to do SOMETHING.

What does Carroll offer though? Who knows how he'd handle a hostile and pressured enviroment like Fratton Park in a game we cannot afford to lose.

While I agree he needs to be broken into the first team soon I don't think Saturday is the right time ot do it.

When is, then? I suppose we could bring him on when Sib inevitably tires, but there is no-one ele i'd play.

If we were to give Carroll a start, something i'd really like to see us do, then i'd do it at home to Blackburn. He'd be at St James', therefore much more comfortable, and it would give him the chance to get into the game and show us what he can do - as Blackburn hardly have the most meanest of defences.

However, surprisingly enough, there is still Europe to play for - and you know that is in Roeder's mind. I can't imagine we'll see Carroll again this season, unless it is a ten minute appearance from the bench. Which - at this stage in the guys career - does nothing for him or for us.

Guest optimistic nit

if we were to break him into the first team it would have to be now. this season is as good as over, on current form we're very unlikely to get into europe. we don't have any good options up front apart from martins. next season we'll have owen as well, or if he goes then another striker. we will also then have something to play for. when will we get a better chance to bring him in?

if we were to break him into the first team it would have to be now. this season is as good as over, on current form we're very unlikely to get into europe. we don't have any good options up front apart from martins. next season we'll have owen as well, or if he goes then another striker. we will also then have something to play for. when will we get a better chance to bring him in?

The season isn't as good as over. Beat Portsmouth and we're two points off European qualification. And on current form, we've just picked up four very good points from our last two games.

If we were to give Carroll a start, something i'd really like to see us do, then i'd do it at home to Blackburn. He'd be at St James', therefore much more comfortable, and it would give him the chance to get into the game and show us what he can do - as Blackburn hardly have the most meanest of defences.

However, surprisingly enough, there is still Europe to play for - and you know that is in Roeder's mind. I can't imagine we'll see Carroll again this season, unless it is a ten minute appearance from the bench. Which - at this stage in the guys career - does nothing for him or for us.

I think he'd be better starting away, the expectations will be too high at SJP.