Best non-NUFC game you've ever seen.

Mowen

Well, what do you reckon?

There have been some great games over the years that have entralled me as a neutral, although really I should be giving this thread more thought as I can only remember games from the last few years at the moment.

One that springs to mind for me is a fairly personal one: Netherlands 0 -1 Portugal in the WC this year: an amazing match, 4 red cards, how the Netherlands didn't score is beyond me. It also sticks in my mind as it was the first night of a month long travelling holiday round Europe and there were some mental Dutch fans in my Roman campsite, atmosphere was awesome.

A couple of others that spring to mind instantly are last years FA Cup final, teh Real-Barca 3-3 a couple of weeks ago was class and I think the Czech's beating Netherlands 3-2 at maybe Euro 2000? Amazing. Obviously there will be loads I've missed, will be good to remember matches I've forgotten and hear about matches I wasn't alive enough to experience. Get posting!

Guest woffy_27

sunderland getting beat in the playoff's v charlton, oh how i laughed so much when the much loved mickey gray missed that pen

Best spectacle:

I'd go for Charlton 4 Sunderland 4, it was relentless, enthralling, fantastic, and wonderful.  The whole game I was sure Sunderland would win even when they went 1-0 down.  Sunderland came back and went 2-1 up and I thought that was it, then they equalised again, only for the mackems to quickly go in front with a Quinn header.  3-2 to the inbreds going in to the last minute all over surely now, but no somecunt else equalised, I can't remember who.  3-3 Extra Time.  The mackems went ahead again in extra time, but in a storyline JR Hartley couldn't have written Mendonca a born and bred raised on Queerside, mackem accent, mackem c*** made it 4-4 completing his hattrick, it was great :D.  All that was good enough, but for the captain of Sunderland, raised in deepest Pennywell, to step and miss the penalty that made them all suffer for a year, absolutely astonishing, one of the best non toon experiences ever.

Aside from that, people might laugh here, but England 3 Argentina 2 18 month ago was one of the best games I've ever seen.

Best achievement:

Juventus 2 Man Utd 3

It's difficult to argue that Juventus weren't the best team in the world over a 4 or 5 year period, they really should've won the Champions League in 1997 and 1998 to go with their 1996 triumph in Rome.  Given the fact no club in Europe had ever been to Turin and won in the history of Juventus, going 2-0 in 10 mnutes, backs against the wall, to come back and win 3-2, but not only that, play them off the park, was a marker for our football I think.

Guest andynufc84

Spurs V Man City a few years back in the FA cup at White Hart Lane

Spurs 3-0 up at half time, City came back and won it 4-3. Not the best quality, but a truly astonishing game. Man City managed by KK

France 1 - 1 Brazil     (4-3 on pens) QF World Cup 1986 stands out but I was just a bairn.

Used to love that French team. f****** class.

What a game that was.  There was a goal hit the post hit the keepers back and went in, forget the details anyway, but France had the best team in that tournament, France v Brazil was worthy of the final, and it was a shame kraut effieciency over came French craft in the Semi.

Guest Hibbits left foot

1970 World cup Brazil v Italy greatest game in the history of the world bar none guaranteed next ...

Charlton - Mackems was a great match in itself, never mind seeing the cunts lose after going through all that.

There was a game in the world cup last year which was class, was in quaters i think. Can't remeber for the life of me who was playing, but was class cos' the ref just the game flow, was the complete opposite of Holland V Portugal.

Man U the other night has to be mentioned just because it was so good to watch, not a good or close match, but was pure eye-candy the whole game.

1970 World cup Brazil v Italy greatest game in the history of the world bar none guaranteed next ...

People walking around in 110 degree heat.  That game was obviously a classic, but there used to be a song on Fantasy Football League that went "Old football was crap, Old football was crap, Old football was crap, Old football was crap, Old football was crap etc...."  I've watched the 1966 World Cup Final in full, players made mistakes in that game that would be unacceptable in the Conference now.  That memorable goal by Carlos Alberto wouldn't have even been conceded by a back four of Carr Bramble Ramage and Huntingdon now.

Guest BooBoo

Spurs 4 Arsenal 5 from a few seasons back was one that sticks out in the mind

For best achievment would probably be Liverpools win over Milan in Turkey. Honorable mention for Cameroon beating Argentina 1-0 in Italia 90.

Spurs V Man City a few years back in the FA cup at White Hart Lane

Spurs 3-0 up at half time, City came back and won it 4-3. Not the best quality, but a truly astonishing game. Man City managed by KK

Not only that but City had a player (Barton?) sent off at half time when 3-0 down. As Keegan walked to the dressing room at half time he stopped to as a fan if they knew the way to the job centre!

People walking around in 110 degree heat.  That game was obviously a classic, but there used to be a song on Fantasy Football League that went "Old football was crap, Old football was crap, Old football was crap, Old football was crap, Old football was crap etc...."  I've watched the 1966 World Cup Final in full, players made mistakes in that game that would be unacceptable in the Conference now.  That memorable goal by Carlos Alberto wouldn't have even been conceded by a back four of Carr Bramble Ramage and Huntingdon now.

That may or may not be so, but it's one of my favourite goals of all time. Love watching it.

Guest woffy_27

Liverpool Vs Milan CL final was a great match.

yeah remember jamie carragher totally knackered and had cramp, was still tacking people whole hearted

Also England V Scotland in Euro 96 and that Gazza goal, followed up with 4-1 win over Holland with Shearer & Teddy both scoring 2.

Both were simply amazing England moments, ranked up there with 5-1 & the 1-0 Becks pen over Argentina.

More of that, but we won't see it with the balding ginger sad act in charge.  :'(

That may or may not be so, but it's one of my favourite goals of all time. Love watching it.

I think it is probably the most perfect piece of football ever, it really does make the hair on the back of my neck stand up every time I see it. Especially when you watch the whole build up.

If anyone wants to know why football is the beautiful game, point them at that goal.

Carlos Alberto talks through it here:

(apols to mods and please delete if youtube link not allowed)

Guest woffy_27

Also England V Scotland in Euro 96 and that Gazza goal, followed up with 4-1 win over Holland with Shearer & Teddy both scoring 2.

Both were simply amazing England moments, ranked up there with 5-1 & the 1-0 Becks pen over Argentina.

More of that, but we won't see it with the balding ginger sad act in charge.  :'(

yeah your right, ive stopped watching england since he's been in charge, the football is painfully boring

those 2 games at euro 96 v the jocks and holland were up there, the atmosphere was electric, definatley the 12th man out there

The Charlton 4-4 Sunderland obviously, just a great game, even taking the result into account.  Up there with our 4-1 and 4-2 Demolitions of Chelsea a few years back.

But Mexico vs. Argentina in the 2006 WC was a fantastic game.  Argentina won 2-1 but it was a game full of quality, that I fully enjoyed.