My CD drive just isn't there :(

Guest Southern Geordie

Guest Southern Geordie

Today I noticed, when trying to put a cd in.. that I could just not open the disk drive..

I've got an acer aspire laptop.. I dunno how long its not been working but when going into my computer it doesn't appear to have my dvd drive! So annoying :(

Any ideas what to check to make it work or what not?

Does your Laptop show a POST screen? If so, then it will be listed there. Failing that find some way to go into the BIOS, and it should be listed.

If it's not, then it's probably broken (or a connector has fallen out somewhere along the line). I have no idea how you fix laptops, throw it away and buy another?

I had this problem. Have you recently uninstalled Nero or Easy CD or some program like that? Anyway, this is what fixed it for me:

1. Click on START button, the click on RUN

2. Enter REGEDIT and press enter

3. When REGEDIT starts, open up the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SYSTEM

CurrentControlSet

Control

Class

{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4. After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:

"Upperfilters"

"Lowerfilters"

Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

Then restart.

Guest Southern Geordie

Does your Laptop show a POST screen? If so, then it will be listed there. Failing that find some way to go into the BIOS, and it should be listed.

If it's not, then it's probably broken (or a connector has fallen out somewhere along the line). I have no idea how you fix laptops, throw it away and buy another?

Sorry, but none of that makes sense to me!  blueconfused.gif :)

Sorry, but none of that makes sense to me!  blueconfused.gif :)

Spam the F2 key while the laptop is starting up (from a full shut-down, not stand-by). That should work, although I have no real experience.

You'll then get a sexy blue screen with various options. I have no idea of your chipset, so just have a look round, for something about attatched IDE devices.

Guest Southern Geordie

I had this problem. Have you recently uninstalled Nero or Easy CD or some program like that? Anyway, this is what fixed it for me:

1. Click on START button, the click on RUN

2. Enter REGEDIT and press enter

3. When REGEDIT starts, open up the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SYSTEM

CurrentControlSet

Control

Class

{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4. After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:

"Upperfilters"

"Lowerfilters"

Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

Then restart.

Tried that.. No luck :(

Bugger. Did you have those 'Filter' settings or weren't they there at all? I assume you have rebooted since, yeah?

If that definitely didn't work, yeah, go into the BIOS as No Quarter says and see if the computer is detecting it at all. If not, it'll either be a connection problem or a hardware failure, neither of which is good news especially with a laptop.

Guest Southern Geordie

Yeah I have rebooted, twice.. and yeah the filter things were there when i deleted them...

and pressed F2 the second time..

I pressed F2 and it came up with my hard disk, cd dvd drive, network something and something else but the only one i could expand was my hard drive.

I assume thats bad news? :(

Another possible: go into Control Panel - System - Device Manager tab, open up all the + symbols down the left, and see if any of the devices have a yellow exclamation mark next to them.

Guest Southern Geordie

Something is going wrong with my laptop! Not serious but I can't open that file you've given me! so i cant even check the registry :(

Frig, well if you can manage it somehow, it still might be worth it, it's often something like Nero that does it (although I'm convinced it was iTunes for me).

There's also this: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

and plenty info here: http://www.siliconguide.com/qa/forum/messages/71.shtml

I was hopeful that the original fix would work. :(

Guest Southern Geordie

Did you get any error messages cos with mine it just doesn't appear.. i cant open it or it doesnt appear in explorer either.. So strange.

Complete bitch cos I need to start revision tomorrow.. and i didnt backup the lower or upperclass registry files :S

:(

I wouldn't worry too much about those registry files, it shouldn't affect anything else, least I hope not.

Don't think I got any errors as such, just suddenly noticed my drive wasn't listed in Explorer.

Guest Southern Geordie

Well I've just deleted all the Upperfilters registry keys (after a backup!) gonna reboot see if I get any luck :(

Guest Southern Geordie

This is a joke! Im on another computer now after rebooting my laptop and not being able to move the mouse, nor type anything in on a keyboard! Its not like I can reboot the computer either cos I don't have a) the disk with me (its in bristol) and b) even if I did have the disk Id not be able to put the fucking thing into my laptop!!!

I'm livid.. Its 4am and I can't sleep :(

Guest Southern Geordie

Right...  I need more help now. I went from having a minor issue to having a major one. When I log onto windows the only buttons I can press is the on and off one..

Oh and F2 when loading up windows.. I'm guessing I deleted something I shouldn't have however I did back it up

Is there any way I can get into the registry without typing it in in xp? cos I cant use the cursor nor type jack shit into the damn laptop :(

Any ideas? Im so stressed as today was meant to be revsion day.

Guest Southern Geordie

I can't even get onto safe mode now! I try and press F8 when its loading up but to no use.. so shit!

looks like there is literally nothing i can do.

I reckon (since Wullie added your laptop to the list of things he's borked) you're going to need to get a new CD/DVD-ROM drive somehow and reinstall windows. I don't think a USB one will work for installing windows (which would be so much easier).

For now, try plugging in a USB keyboard and mouse to see if that works.