Cristiano Ronaldo pens new 5-year contract

Lagerstedt

I know it's has nothing to do with us really, but it still quite big news.  Will Real Madrid withdraw their interest or will they be daft enough and bid for him in the summer?

"Cristiano Ronaldo has signed a new five-year contract with Premiership leaders Manchester United.

The 22-year-old Portuguese winger has ended speculation over his future after being linked with a move to Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona.

"I am delighted. I spoke with Sir Alex Ferguson about my future and everyone knew that I wanted to stay," he said.

"I am very happy at the club and I want to win trophies and hopefully we will do that this season."

United boss Ferguson added: "It is fantastic news, it emphasises the point that Cristiano is happy here and that he is at the right club.

I'm extremely pleased to see he is staying in the Premiership. He is one of the most exciting players I have ever seen

MJ

"He has a great relationship with the team, staff and the fans and he will go on to be one of Manchester United's great players."

Ronaldo has been in scintillating form for United this season as they aim to win the treble of the Champions League, the Premiership and the FA Cup.

He is also the favourite to win the PFA Player of the Year award.

Ronaldo joined United from Sporting Lisbon for £12m in August 2003, on a five-year contract which he extended by a further two years in November 2005.

He was strongly linked with a move following the World Cup, where he was involved in controversy with his involvement in Wayne Rooney's sending-off in Portugal's quarter-final win over England.

But Ronaldo has returned to England to lead United's charge on the treble."

Guest Stephen927

If Real Madrid did still go in for him, they'd have to fork out at least an extra £15m because of the length of this new contract.

Shit, hoped we finally got rid of him when. Afraid he will stay now... Well, lets hope he break his legs or something else terribble happens to him so he can't play  :)

Hate that kind of players. Wear lots of make-up, dive and cries when he don't trick the refs. Though I must admit he is one of/the best player(s) in the world, even though I like it or not.

Guest optimistic nit

one of my favourite none nufc players. you can say what you like about manu, and i'll agree, but they've had some of my favourite ever players playing for them, even if their fans, manager and the rest of the squad are a bunch of wankers.