Athletic Bilbao fans enjoyed playing against Newcastle (1994)

Guest Athletic

Guest Athletic

Hello Newcastle supporters,

We are Athletic Bilbao supporters and we remember the historical match betwen your team and Athletic Bilbao in the UEFA cup year 1994.

Do you remember that match and the good atmosphere between the two teams´ followers?

<No links to copyrighted football clips please. Cheers, Admin>

Guest Athletic

The atmosphere was great here in Bilbao. People of both teams were enjoying before and after the game, and it was quite good in St. James, too.

What do you think about Athletic?

I was at both games Athletic, and the treatment we got in Bilbao was the best I've ever experienced off any group of supporters ever. 

A lot of English people have too many preconceptions about Spanish people, but the people in Bilbao aren't like other Spanish people I've seen.  We couldn't buy a drink on the day in Bilbao, sangria was flowing, what a day, I think it coincided with some special day for Basques because nobody seemed to be at work.  I swapped my toon shirt for a rare greenish colour Bilbao third kit which they weren't allowed to wear in La Liga because, ETA was woven in to the body of the shirt.  The stadium itself was great, we were right at the back and there were other toon fans on the other side, but where we were it seemed like it was so steep if you stepped forward you'd fall on the pitch. 

As for the games themselves, we should've been comfortably through when we were 3-0 up, but our European naivety cost us.  In the return it was a cagey game, I thought Beardsley was going to equalise in the last minute, but it wasn't to be.  One of the best atmosphere's I've ever seen in my life though, seeing 50,000 people singing ole ole ole jumping up and down takes some beating.

Since that day, I've always looked for Athletic's results.  VIVA EUSKARDI

Funnily enough, I wasn't there, but our fans said exactly the same thing about Bilbao, that it was the best European away night ever, and that the friends were incredibly friendly, a night to remember by all accounts.

Later on in the competition, we played Atletico Madrid, which i did go to, and it was absolutely fucking dreadful, van loads of coppers driving around, jumping out and batoning our supporters, women and children included, at random. As we entered the ground, they were lined up at the side swinging randomly at us.

The exact opposite of Bilbao.

I've been a major fan of the Basque country ever since.