PC is f**ked!

Ally

Reet

After fiddling around trying to get the internet to work, I have accidently broken the fucker!

I turn it on, it gets to the black screen with the Windows XP logo on, and it simply resets itself and goes on like that in a cycle.

What have I done?!  bluebigeek.gif

Guest Snoopy

What was wrong with the internet to start with? Let me know as that is where my problems started with my old pc which went the same way as yours with it keep on restarting itself after I tried to fix the internet problem.

Guest Snoopy

I have looked at your hijackthis log on that thread and the problem is what I thought it was.

The file called "lsass.exe" is a virus unfortunately and is the same virus as what I have on my other pc. My internet started going weird and then one day the whole system crashed. I have tried all kinds to try and fix it but up until now I have not been able to fix it, and am therefore unable to get into my other pc.

I get as far as the Windows loading logo and the system restarts itself, the cycle just goes on and on, restarting itself and Windows won't load in.

I have looked for programmes to get rid of "lsass.exe" but stupidly enough, the only ones I have found are ones where you have to be IN Windows to load it in, so I am just as stuck.

But your problem is this "lsass.exe" thing, if you search it on Yahoo or Google, you will see what a bugger of a virus it is! :(

Guest eyeball_tickler

I have looked at your hijackthis log on that thread and the problem is what I thought it was.

The file called "lsass.exe" is a virus unfortunately and is the same virus as what I have on my other pc. My internet started going weird and then one day the whole system crashed. I have tried all kinds to try and fix it but up until now I have not been able to fix it, and am therefore unable to get into my other pc.

I get as far as the Windows loading logo and the system restarts itself, the cycle just goes on and on, restarting itself and Windows won't load in.

I have looked for programmes to get rid of "lsass.exe" but stupidly enough, the only ones I have found are ones where you have to be IN Windows to load it in, so I am just as stuck.

But your problem is this "lsass.exe" thing, if you search it on Yahoo or Google, you will see what a bugger of a virus it is! :(

i had the same thing. i hate to say this but thats why im sitting at a new computer.

It's not a virus, well, not in all cases.  lsass.exe that is.  I've got it in my process list, and have done since day one.  It's fine, however, it can be used by certain virus/trojan programs.  It itself is not a virus though.

Guest Snoopy
i had the same thing. i hate to say this but thats why im sitting at a new computer.

Aye I know, I really do not think that there is much you can do unfortunately. :mad:

I cannot see much hope of getting my old pc back now as the unit is not even switching on at all now, I think Sasser has well and truely worked and buggered it!

I just keep my laptops and other working pc up to date with the latest Microsoft Downloads and AntiVirus scans and my Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool now, as I do not want a repeat of that sodding lsass.exe again!

I have it on my computer. Everyone who has windowsXP does, it's a system file. The virus is I(i)sass, but the one we are meant to have is l(L)sass. You just have to check the first letter by looking at it alphabetically or changing the font. If it begins with L(l) it's cool, I(i) it's bad.

The point of the trojan (from the point of the designer) is that to a typical user it looks the same as the process. I can't tell you how many times people have told me they think they have a virus because someone told them lsass was a trojan, and they're going hysterical backing everything up (which is a good idea even without a virus) and complaining to me (never a good idea).

Guest Snoopy
I have it on my computer. Everyone who has windowsXP does, it's a system file. The virus is I(i)sass, but the one we are meant to have is l(L)sass. You just have to check the first letter by looking at it alphabetically or changing the font. If it begins with L(l) it's cool, I(i) it's bad.

The point of the trojan (from the point of the designer) is that to a typical user it looks the same as the process. I can't tell you how many times people have told me they think they have a virus because someone told them lsass was a trojan, and they're going hysterical backing everything up (which is a good idea even without a virus) and complaining to me (never a good idea).

I looked it up on the internet and in my computer magazines and have read many times that "lsass.exe" is a virus so I am confused now!

My old pc is definitely buggered though! :(

Guest Snoopy

Trust me, lsass.exe is a legit file. It's a necessary system file for WinXP.

Yeah I know that there is a legit file with that name, but there is a virus which exploits it and knacks it up.

Guest Snoopy

Windows uses an utterly stupid font where capital I's look the same as little l's. You really have to have a process beginning with j to find out (Jusched.exe for java is the one I have separating I and L).

Aye I know, that font really gets up my nose, can be very confusing!

This is where I got some info on lsass.exe: http://ask-leo.com/what_are_lsass_lsassexe_and_sasser_and_how_do_i_know_if_im_infected_what_do_i_do_if_i_am.html

So that is how I thought it was that causing me bother on my other pc! :( I haven't a clue what to do with it!

Guest eyeball_tickler

Also this: http://www.microsoft.com/security/encyclopedia/details.aspx?name=Win32%2fSasser on the Microsoft website.

Does anyone know how to fix the problem to help me and Ally with both our pc's? Bear in mind that neither of us can get onto Windows XP anymore!

Its so annoying!

i had a program that got rid of it but like you said before, its no use if you cant get to it.

Guest Snoopy

Reinstall windows over the top of it (my answer for everything). A full format would be preferable, but if you aren't in a position to do so then don't.

Aye I was going to just reinstall Windows when my ps first got infected, it seems like the only solution, I was only holding back on doing it because I didn't really want to lose my whole hard drive. But its the price I shall have to pay to get it working again I suppose. :(

Guest Snoopy
i had a program that got rid of it but like you said before, its no use if you cant get to it.

Aye, its no use at all unfortunately!

I mean I did get into Windows again by running the "chkdsk" option when booting my system up but then it just buggered up again before I could install removal software and now Windows will not load at all. :mad:

Its so annoying, why these gits who make these viruses want to ruin other people's stuff is beyond me!

Guest Snoopy

If there's anything on there you really want it would be possible to back it up (since you appear to have a second PC).

Also, are thread titles supposed to say "fucked" in them?

Well I do have a few things I wanted off there saved on disk, like my photo's luckily but since I cannot even get into Windows at all I do not know if it would be possible to do back up. When I run "chkdsk" now it says there is nothing wrong and proceeds to try and load Windows in....then it retstarts the pc, so I think its well and truly knackered!

Well, no, titles are not supposed to contain swearing but its admin who posted so maybe he can! ;) And plus he is very angry with his pc problem so I do not blame him! :lol: