Toon Set For War Over Owen

Guest eyeball_tickler

Guest eyeball_tickler

MICHAEL OWEN is heading for war with Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd.

Owen, returning from a knee injury, is desperate to play in England’s friendly with Brazil on June 1.

But a Toon insider said: “Freddy is fuming about this.

"He doesn’t see why Michael should be able to go off and play for England when he has hardly figured for Newcastle.”

Striker Owen, 27, is expected to return to the Newcastle team for next Sunday’s home clash with Chelsea — his first game after suffering a serious knee injury at last summer’s World Cup.

Shepherd has been at loggerheads with the FA over compensation for Owen’s injury as Soho Square chiefs are only paying half of his £110,000-a-week wages.

Shepherd is in no mood to let Owen line up for England after spending so long on the sidelines.

He also reckons the striker is not showing enough loyalty to the club.

The insider added: “Freddy was never happy with the FA’s attitude to Newcastle’s position and this would just rub salt in the wound. It is likely to get nasty.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007170314,00.html

surprise surprise.

Can't really blame the Chairman for feeling that way, assuming that this story has a grain of truth about it.

I certainly don't think Owen should get an automatic return to England until such time as he's proven he's back to the highest possible level of fitness and form, either.

Can't really blame the Chairman for feeling that way, assuming that this story has a grain of truth about it.

I certainly don't think Owen should get an automatic return to England until such time as he's proven he's back to the highest possible level of fitness and form, either.

He shouldn't get an automatic return, but he will. You know he'll be selected just as soon as he can pass the physical, whether the club objects or no. Remember the flak this summer between Chelsea and the French national team over Makelele? Owen can be recalled to the national squad over our objections. I could be mistaken, but I'm not sure there's actually anything Freddy can do to prevent it.

Don't think he can actually stop him from playing though, can he?  :undecided:

If fat fred cannot stop him... just get rid of him... i guess

Yeah, lets get rid of our best player eh?  I'm sure due to our status in the game we can attract someone better.

Yeah, lets get rid of our best player eh?  I'm sure due to our status in the game we can attract someone better.

Best player my arse... when it happen?

The attitude towards Owen on this forum is beyond ridiculous.  He had a very serious injury, it wasn't his fault.  We all watched it happen.

So he makes all the right noises during his injury comeback about how much he wants to be at the club (and gets mocked for it on here), he looks happy enough in training, and there is no real indication that he wants to leave.  So why the hate?  He gets paid lots of money?  He wants to play for his country?  Is this club so blatantly insecure that we can't have a world class player in the squad without questioning his motive for wanting to be here?

This article is blantantly tabloid shit stirring, don't play along FFS.

Guest Ridzuan

I dont really want to believe this rumour,as it is from the Sun.But if it turns out to be true,then I dont think it is good for the club.Owen is our star player and if we make him unhappy,then there could be serious consequences.Nevertheless,being our star player doesnt necessarily means that he can get everything that he wants.Sometimes,he should listen to what we have to say and do as what he is told.

The attitude towards Owen on this forum is beyond ridiculous.  He had a very serious injury, it wasn't his fault.  We all watched it happen.

So he makes all the right noises during his injury comeback about how much he wants to be at the club (and gets mocked for it on here), he looks happy enough in training, and there is no real indication that he wants to leave.  So why the hate?  He gets paid lots of money?  He wants to play for his country?  Is this club so blatantly insecure that we can't have a world class player in the squad without questioning his motive for wanting to be here?

This article is blantantly tabloid s*** stirring, don't play along FFS.

Owen still don't concrete yet to be called our best player... that was the point that i take. If the story from sun not true i got no problem with him. But if it is true then owen will get my wrath.

Guest Gemmill

Why shouldn't he play in this England game?  If he gets a couple of games in for us with no reaction, then I'd sooner he played a bit over the summer to get him back into the swing of things.  Shepherd's in the wrong here.

Guest NIToon

Why shouldn't he play in this England game?  If he gets a couple of games in for us with no reaction, then I'd sooner he played a bit over the summer to get him back into the swing of things.  Shepherd's in the wrong here.

:clap:

Aye,agree with you

If he is 100% fit then there is no reason why he shouldnt play in this game

Whats the big problem?

Aye,agree with you

Whats the big problem?

See GM post

Guest Gemmill

Aye,agree with you

Whats the big problem?

See GM post

Yeah, GM's post is wrong.  If Michael Owen is fit enough to play for Newcastle, then England can and should pick him for a friendly.  Shepherd (if the article has any truth in it) is being a tit about this because he's bitter over the compensation issue.

Guest Micktoon

Totally agree. Why the fuck shouldn't he play in a friendly, it will help towards his match fitness. The amount of people who get the hump when the words Owen and England are mentioned beggars belief.

As for those who say sell him.....hmmmmm and replace one of the best goalscorers this country has ever seen with who?

This game is 6 weeks away, if he is already playing 70mins in behind the doors games and banging balls about in training like we saw the other day I struggle to see how he wont be fit to play unless he suffers a reaction between now and then.

If we don't want players going off on internationals we shouldn't fucking sign international players! Sell him and promote Shola, don't think we are in much danger of him getting many internationals any time soon.

Guest elbee909

What if it were Shearer instead of Owen in this position?  Oh, it'd have been different for him, wor Alan etc.  :uglystupid2:

Guest Bramble OG

Exactly, Why shouldnt he play!? People where saying on here the other day play him in the reserves to get fit? id sooner he played on the New Wembley pitch against Brazil than at Kingston park against the likes whitley bay, under the management of Lee Clark