Wenger "Newcastle have the same potential as Arsenal,"

Guest nufc 4 life

I cant find any links, but does anyone remember us appointing a fake dietician at the club? I remember, for a fact, that Freddy took her to court, and that she was convicted of fraud.

From what I remember, she was a housewife or something, who faked a CV when applying for the vacancy at the club. She had absolutely no qualifications or experience, yet she ended up deciding the diet of the players. I remember a few quotes from her after she was found guilty by the courts, one being that Alan Shearer's favourite pre-match meal was Spaghetti Bolognese which he ate two to three hours before some games, and the other that she was sorry for what she did but she did so because it was her "dream job".

Point being, at the time, my thought was "only at Newcastle". Only at our club could you get a fucking housewife with no clue about anything deciding what the players ate, which is about as important as you can get because it decides their fitness, stamina, energy levels, etc, as Wenger will tell you (do a quick search on his methods).

I cant find any links, but does anyone remember us appointing a fake dietician at the club? I remember, for a fact, that Freddy took her to court, and that she was convicted of fraud.

From what I remember, she was a housewife or something, who faked a CV when applying for the vacancy at the club. She had absolutely no qualifications or experience, yet she ended up deciding the diet of the players. I remember a few quotes from her after she was found guilty by the courts, one being that Alan Shearer's favourite pre-match meal was Spaghetti Bolognese which he ate two to three hours before some games, and the other that she was sorry for what she did but she did so because it was her "dream job".

Point being, at the time, my thought was "only at Newcastle". Only at our club could you get a f****** housewife with no clue about anything deciding what the players ate, which is about as important as you can get because it decides their fitness, stamina, energy levels, etc, as Wenger will tell you (do a quick search on his methods).

I remember that happening.  bluelaugh.gif

Point being, at the time, my thought was "only at Newcastle". Only at our club could you get a f****** housewife with no clue about anything deciding what the players ate, which is about as important as you can get because it decides their fitness, stamina, energy levels, etc, as Wenger will tell you (do a quick search on his methods).

I remember that happening.  bluelaugh.gif

It just goes to show how our club is ran. Cowboy club run by cowboys, with jobs for the boys.

I wonder if ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, even Bolton, would put the diet of their players in the hands of a housewife with no qualifications or experience at all.

Do you also think theyre the type of club that would have one of their players banned for 6 European games, then forget to register that player for those games, and ultimately having that player banned for a total of 12 games as a result of an "administrative mistake"?

A SELF-styled nutritionist who advised the England soccer players Alan Shearer, David Batty and Les Ferdinand on their diet is being investigated by police.

Sue Ready, 27, has been questioned after a public admission that she invented qualifications to obtain a job with Newcastle United, for which Shearer, Batty and Ferdinand played. When she joined the club in 1996, she became known as British football's first full-time nutritionist and sports scientist.

She claimed to have a degree in nutrition from King's College, London, and a post-graduate degree from the non-existent "University of Boston". But in a statement issued through her publicist, she says she "used forged certificates" to help her to get the job at St James's Park.

The disclosure comes at a time when the diet of England footballers has been subject of much discussion, stimulated by Paul Gascoigne's kebab-eating exploits. Glenn Hoddle enlisted the services of a nutritionist to prepare his squad for the World Cup. A ban on players eating baked beans before games followed.

And this probably explains why there wasn't much coverage in the Ronnie...

A local newspaper, which gave Ready a column on the basis of the credentials she claimed to have, is discontinuing its association with her.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/htmlContent.jhtml?html=/archive/1998/06/25/ncup25.html

STARS' DIETICIAN WAS A PHONEY

A BOGUS nutritionist who advised top footballers on their diets forged her qualifications.

Sue Ready was appointed as British football's first full-time nutritionist at Newcastle United in 1996 and had access to players such as England captain Alan Shearer.

But the 28-year-old wept yesterday as she pleaded guilty to charges of obtaining services by deception at a health centre and gaining a pecuniary advantage from a surgery.

Newcastle magistrates heard how Ready first worked as a nutritionist at the Natural Health Centre in Littlehampton in 1994 and at the Westcourt Surgery in Rustington in 1995.

In both cases the bogus dietician had falsely claimed to have a first class honours degree from the University of Sussex and other qualifications.

Ready, from Newcastle, who also pleaded guilty to eight charges of obtaining cash by deception, will be

sentenced on October 15.

http://archive.theargus.co.uk/1999/9/25/197200.html

You can't blame Shepherd for that one, I think it was before he took over.

NE5 can, though, as according to him the previous board is the same as the current one.

I've always said the major shareholders pre-1992 were worlds apart from those since.

You don't though.

Have you been in contact with your londun journo and dishing the dirt on the club again lately ?

hard to know what to say here.

What Wenger says is of course, true. But to say we haven't appointed any other decent managers other than SBR and Keegan is complete nonsense. The appointment of Dalglish, was every bit as ambitious and a statement of intent as appointing Wenger himself would be.

Gullit too, as at the time he was very much a successful manager looking like he was on the way up in the managerial stakes too.

What would people do if Wenger came to Newcastle and failed to match SBR and Keegan, never mind exceed them ? Would you still say that we are being "raped by ineptitude and bad managerial appointments" ?

Before anyone sees this as defending anybody, it isn't, I'm only correcting the blatant misappropriation that is posted by people, again.

BTW, I have been saying for ages that if this club had 5m or 10m quid to spend on anybody, I would use it to buy out Wengers contract and bring him to Newcastle, before ANY player.

Comparing the appointments of Dalglish and Gullit with the appointment of Wenger is laughable.

Dalglish and Gullit had proved that they could win trophies in England, were established names, and management style was to splash the cash on players good enough to bring success. They were ambitious, and they were a statement of intent.

In contrast, although he had some success abroad, Wenger was greeted with 'Arsene Who?' headlines. He did not have the name to attract the world class players that Newcastle or Chelsea were signing at the time, and he wasn't even big enough to win his own players. There seemed to be no short term vision of ambition, no apparent intent to turn the corner. Instead, it was a long term decision to revolutionise the club from its roots.

In the end, it was the move to change things long-term that was going to ensure a prolonged spell of success, whereas Newcastle, with their short term ambition, have stagnated and declined.

We are still waiting for our revolution. And we wont realise our potential until our chairman puts it in place.

Or, more likely, another chairman is put in our current chairman's place.

such as Bob Murray ?

:idiot2:

What Wenger says is of course, true. But to say we haven't appointed any other decent managers other than SBR and Keegan is complete nonsense. The appointment of Dalglish, was every bit as ambitious and a statement of intent as appointing Wenger himself would be.

Gullit too, as at the time he was very much a successful manager looking like he was on the way up in the managerial stakes too.

What would people do if Wenger came to Newcastle and failed to match SBR and Keegan, never mind exceed them ? Would you still say that we are being "raped by ineptitude and bad managerial appointments" ?

Before anyone sees this as defending anybody, it isn't, I'm only correcting the blatant misappropriation that is posted by people, again.

BTW, I have been saying for ages that if this club had 5m or 10m quid to spend on anybody, I would use it to buy out Wengers contract and bring him to Newcastle, before ANY player.

Comparing the appointments of Dalglish and Gullit with the appointment of Wenger is laughable.

Dalglish and Gullit had proved that they could win trophies in England, were established names, and management style was to splash the cash on players good enough to bring success. They were ambitious, and they were a statement of intent.

In contrast, although he had some success abroad, Wenger was greeted with 'Arsene Who?' headlines. He did not have the name to attract the world class players that Newcastle or Chelsea were signing at the time, and he wasn't even big enough to win his own players. There seemed to be no short term vision of ambition, no apparent intent to turn the corner. Instead, it was a long term decision to revolutionise the club from its roots.

In the end, it was the move to change things long-term that was going to ensure a prolonged spell of success, whereas Newcastle, with their short term ambition, have stagnated and declined.

We are still waiting for our revolution. And we wont realise our potential until our chairman puts it in place.

such as Bob Murray ?

Because that's what he was implying...

Its fair enough to say that there were good reasons to appoint Dalglish and Gullitt - a blind look at their CVs would suggest that they were good managers at the time we appointed them. Of course, different people have different opinions about the ability level of those managers at the time we appointed them, eg Ive always wanted a manager with a successful continental CV, ie success both domestically and in European competitions, building a side that you can visibly see has the markings of a good manager (eg Fergusons team all have movement, Wenger's technical ability, Rafa and Mourinho defensive organisation and drilling, etc etc) but thats a different arguement.

So, for the sake of agreement, lets just say that Shepherd had done a decent job up to and including the appointment of Sir Bobby. He appointed managers with strong CVs, secured a higher amount of income by carrying out the stadium expansion plans from the previous board/chairman, backed his managers in some seasons with cash, eventually took us to a top 4 spot after two failed managerial appointments and finally landing a good manager.

What you cant ignore though is the downward spiral of the club under Shepherd's stewardship a few years into Sir Bobby's reign.

11th, 11th - first 2 seasons, then 4th, 3rd and 5th suggests differently. Keep making things up though if it makes you happy.

Ref my post to you somewhere else about you harping on about "trophy players", have you told us who they are yet ?

undermining his manager, then failing to replace him when everything went stale and even our competitors at the time, Liverpool, went about replacing theirs despite finishing above us and having a very similar season under a manager who won plenty of trophies with them.

I agree, we should always change our manager at the same time as Liverpool. In fact, everybody should, then everybody would be as successful as they have been. We should always choose trophy winning managers too, just like Liverpool, and everybody else should do the same too. Oh, wait - we HAVE appointed trophy winning managers. Souness was one, Liverpool appointed him. Dalglish too, we appointed him after he won cups at Liverpool.

The sale of Woodgate behind his manager's back without any replacement lined resulting in a terrible start to the season, the dismissal of Sir Bobby without any replacement lined up at a silly time of the season to sack the manager,

how do you know someobdy wasn't lined up who changed their mind about joining the club after agreeing to do so ?

the appointment of Souness, a manager who was a national laughing stock with every set of fans thinking him shiite, yet Shepherd decided hed be a good appointment, the backing of Souness with huge amounts of cash, the signing of an injury-prone centreforward for a huge amount of money despite having a weak squad, the refusal to sack Souness whilst the transfer window was still open, the statement of intent when talking about going abroad in looking for a top manager and admitting this was his last chance, the appointment of Roeder, a man with a track record of mediocrity.

Since 2003, the club have gone backwards and backwards under Shepherd as hes made poor decision after poor decision. Clearly, the man is an idiot if he thought Souness to be a good manager, and only an idiot would have thought Souness to be a good appointment (can guarantee you that rules out 99.9% of our fans, all of whom probably felt sick when the appointment was announced). And what on earth makes Shepherd think Roeder can coach or build a CL side, which surely is our goal?

Maybe some wise heads have left the board since those early years when he made the appointments of Dalglish, Gullitt and Sir Bobby, and as Shepherd's influence has grown without anyone there to give some decent perspective to him, the decision making has gone downhill spectacularly. Or maybe hes undermined one too many a manager, and noone with an ounce of credibility wants to work for him. Either way, hes failing badly to do what hes supposed to, and its unfair that he gets the wield the axe on others, managers or players, yet theres noone there to oust him.

I am in agreement about the appointment of Souness. However, the great Liverpool appointed Evans, with no managerial experience whatsover. Oh, wait, that can't be right, we are the only club who make such appointments, and the great Liverpool wouldn't dream of doing such a thing. In fact, neither would the great steve Gibson, who numerous people have said runs his club brilliantly and makes good decisions. The fact is, Roeder could have worked. His situations at West Ham and Watford were totally different to the situation at Newcastle, and the Watford fans don't blame him for being relegated. The West ham fans may do, bless their little cockney socks, but I don't give a stuff about them and it was also the time when he was, or became, a very ill man.

Ref your remarks about the appointments of Dalglish, Gullit, Robson etc....I have posted here before excerpts from Keegans book saying quite clearly that it was Shepherd, Hall Jnr and Fletcher who persuaded and chose him to become manager of Newcastle, not sir john Hall.

Now. About these "trophy" players. Who are they, and who exactly would you prefer the club to have signed instead of them ?

Take your time. And consider the fact that while you are moaning on about the club signing "trophy" players, that the teams you think we should be catching are also brimming with them.

such as Bob Murray ?

Because that's what he was implying...

Well, as he's a mackem WUM, you're probably right.

Have you been in contact with your londun journo and dishing the dirt on the club again lately ?

Please stop confusing me with Freddie Shepherd and Dougie Hall.

no, you've got it wrong, it was you who emailed the reporter and volunteered info attempting to dish the dirt on the club.

Do you still think we are better off without Craig Bellamy too ?

We are discussing Shepherd's failings as a chairman. While these of course include characterising supporters as mugs and describing Geordie women as dogs, that is not the main issue here.

Well, Martins Edwards was caught in a scrape or two and it didn't stop manure winning a cup or two.

But as you say, this is is not the main issue

Were you upset at being called a mug Ozzie ? Does the truth hurt ? Because, tbh, I can understand how all the Keegan bandwagon jumpers would feel at having spent all that money jumping on the bandwagon thinking they were going to win trophies, then realise it was all for nothing and they had a chairman they didn't like - unlike the previous ones .........  mackems.gif

We are discussing Shepherd's failings as a chairman. While these of course include characterising supporters as mugs and describing Geordie women as dogs, that is not the main issue here.

Well, Martins Edwards was caught in a scrape or two and it didn't stop manure winning a cup or two.

And as I say, while Shepherd obviously has zero respect for the supporters and the people of Newcastle, and will happily bad-mouth them to anyone that he thinks might give him some more cash, this is not the main reason why he is taking the club steadily backwards.

Shepherd wanted Bellamy out as well, didn't he? :lol:

Did he  ? Did he tell you that ?

Too lazy to go and find the quotes but I am 99% certain Shepherd came out and slated Bellamy on a few occasions during that saga. Think it would be fair to say he isn't his biggest fan!

Certainly remember something along the lines of "he will never play for this club again"

Were you upset at being called a mug Ozzie ? Does the truth hurt ? Because, tbh, I can understand how all the Keegan bandwagon jumpers would feel at having spent all that money jumping on the bandwagon thinking they were going to win trophies, then realise it was all for nothing and they had a chairman they didn't like - unlike the previous ones .........  mackems.gif

Make your mind up. Only a moron could consider someone to be both a "Keegan bandwagon jumper" and a "mackem wind-up merchant".

Shepherd wanted Bellamy out as well, didn't he? :lol:

Did he  ? Did he tell you that ?

Too lazy to go and find the quotes but I am 99% certain Shepherd came out and slated Bellamy on a few occasions during that saga. Think it would be fair to say he isn't his biggest fan!

Certainly remember something along the lines of "he will never play for this club again"

Well, his manager said that. But don't think for a moment that the chairmans job is to defend his manager or anything.

Make your mind up. Only a moron could consider someone to be both a "Keegan bandwagon jumper" and a "mackem wind-up merchant".

Only a moron could fit both criteria