formatting hdd

Cristov

Aye i was thinking of formatting myself.. but i do not have an XP disk... i bought the PC legit with a registered copy of windows on it.. Is there a way of downloading a copy from the windows site seeing as i have an original one installed?

Aye i was thinking of formatting myself.. but i do not have an XP disk... i bought the PC legit with a registered copy of windows on it.. Is there a way of downloading a copy from the windows site seeing as i have an original one installed?

Do you have the registration key for it? you could borrow someone elses cd of the corresponding version (home or pro) and use your key.

Hmmmm i don't think i have it written down... Is there a way of finding it from your PC? Surely PC World would of given us a Registration Key seeing as their PC's f*ck up all the time..

Well fook me lol... All this time i've had the PC and its written on a sticker on the side of it  :)... Cheers mate, although i can't believe i didn't think of it myself... So would it be legit if i were to download a copy of XP.. Then put it onto disk,  format and install using my product key?

It should be. I can't say for sure because I've never done it, but as long as it's the right version then I can't see why not.

You might have to phone microsoft up for a special key after you've installed it too, for their registration key authorisation.

when u got the pc, there should be an application in programs menu (pc help and tools), then select (recovery cd/dvd creator). this should enable you to shutdown pc with recovery cd in it, then do a full recovery. everything will be retored to  like when you bought computer. only reason i know is i've got a pc world computer, and i recovered my pc just a couple of days ago.

• 1 month later...
Guest j.smith1981

I do that on my computer got mine like a geek but Im not haha.

Ive got 3 partitions on my computer, C:\ (WINDOWS and programs), D:\ (Documents) and E:\(backup) where on backup I have a full working version of XP Professional, so all I do is run an ASR (automated system recovery)

But ya, usually its the OEM sticker thats on your computer they put it there so they think it makes it harder to copy windows xp from another computer, like on 2 but I just because ive done some moderations to my computer and messed it up a few times.

They usually ask why if you phone the activation line up why you have done it, just lie thats what I do haha, like say the MBR got corrupted or something (Master Boot Record) their like what after that its kinda funny haha!!