Man U to make Owen bid

Guest smoggeordie

Guest eyeball_tickler

MANCHESTER UNITED are ready to make a sensational summer move for Michael Owen.

Sir Alex Ferguson has focused his search for a striker on Newcastle's 27-year-old England star, who has a £12million release clause in his contract.

Owen has been out with a serious knee injury since last summer's World Cup finals but scored in a friendly game against Gretna last week.

Pleading

He has been pleading with Toon boss Glenn Roeder for a chance in the first-team and could make his comeback against Chelsea next week.

Ferguson will only launch a bid if he is fully satisfied Owen has recovered from the knee operation.

A well-placed United source told us: "It is no secret that Sir Alex wants another striker and he is bound to be attracted by someone of Owen's pedigree at such a competitive price. Naturally we would have to be certain he has recovered from his injury and that is why his return will be closely monitored.

"Ideally we want to see him in action for several games between now and the end of the season."

United's interest is certain to appeal to Owen, even though he still feels a debt to Newcastle after they paid £16m to sign him from Real Madrid nearly two years ago.

Owen still has his main home in the north-west, near Chester, even though he has a property in the north-east.

He is itching to get back into Premiership action and has also earmarked England's Euro Championship qualifier against Estonia in June for his international return.

Lets be serious, £12 million and we should snap their hands off

Erm, why? If I could trust us to spend that money wisely I might be more inclined to agree with you but even so I wouldn't want him to go.

Erm, why? If I could trust us to spend that money wisely I might be more inclined to agree with you but even so I wouldn't want him to go.

Owen is consistantly injured, dont get me wrong, right now with no bid he is our savour, but a bid of £12million is a loss of £5million, yet it takes £110k off the wage bill every week. Martins is our main man now, hes playing in a s*** team all season, he is on the brink of 20 goals, he rarely gets injured, HE is the man we need to build this team around, with £12million we could sign another striker who will get 20 goals or more a season but wont be injured half as much as Owen. Look at the facts, Owen has been here 2 years and has made something like 11 appearences, THAT IS SHOCKING, world class or not we dont need a player who costs us so much money every week when he doesnt play. Like i said right now Owen is coming back and he is our saviour, but with his injury record, and with the fact that in a year and a half he is a free agent, plus the fact that he could jump to Liverpool any second, all these facts mean that right now if we got £12 million for him we should be laughing!

I understand the whole Roeder thing, but lets not forget Roeder gave us Martins, im not defending Roeder or anything, but the fact that he gave us Martins makes me trust him somewhat in the transfer window in regards to buying a striker.

Dont get me wrong btw, im a huge Owen fan and i love him being here, but £12million, guys i just cant stop thinking that his contract is up in 2 years and that he might stall on signing a new one. If we lost him to a free transfer id be gutted, even next summer clubs would be reluctant to bid high for him due to his contract ending. If this is true this will be the highest we will get for him should he want to leave, i think Shepherd needs to talk to Owen, find out weither or not he will sign a new deal. If not then sell.

Owen is consistantly injured, dont get me wrong, right now with no bid he is our savour, but a bid of £12million is a loss of £5million, yet it takes £110k off the wage bill every week. Martins is our main man now, hes playing in a s*** team all season, he is on the brink of 20 goals, he rarely gets injured, HE is the man we need to build this team around, with £12million we could sign another striker who will get 20 goals or more a season but wont be injured half as much as Owen. Look at the facts, Owen has been here 2 years and has made something like 11 appearences, THAT IS SHOCKING, world class or not we dont need a player who costs us so much money every week when he doesnt play. Like i said right now Owen is coming back and he is our saviour, but with his injury record, and with the fact that in a year and a half he is a free agent, plus the fact that he could jump to Liverpool any second, all these facts mean that right now if we got £12 million for him we should be laughing!

I understand the whole Roeder thing, but lets not forget Roeder gave us Martins, im not defending Roeder or anything, but the fact that he gave us Martins makes me trust him somewhat in the transfer window in regards to buying a striker.

Dont get me wrong btw, im a huge Owen fan and i love him being here, but £12million, guys i just cant stop thinking that his contract is up in 2 years and that he might stall on signing a new one. If we lost him to a free transfer id be gutted, even next summer clubs would be reluctant to bid high for him due to his contract ending. If this is true this will be the highest we will get for him should he want to leave, i think Shepherd needs to talk to Owen, find out weither or not he will sign a new deal. If not then sell.

Spot on... similar situation to ronaldo at inter milan