Chronicle editor answers criticism in regards to recent NUFC coverage

Syrette

http://forums.icnewcastle.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=72

Let me say first off that we share your frustration at the current situation at NUFC - we too are mostly fans. I am a personal season ticket holder and have been for many years prior to my appointment as editor.

We try to give everyone connected with NUFC - fans, players manager, chairman - the opportunity to air their views. It is our job to report all sides and no newspaper gives as much space to Newcastle United and fans whether it be in print or online than the Evening Chronicle.

I think if you looked objectively our coverage through our main writers, Alan Oliver, Lee Ryder and John Gibson - each of them with the club at heart - they try to give an honest assessment as they see it. There is a big difference between criticism and personal abuse.

No-one is above criticism and I am happy for a debate about our coverage to be aired. The problem is when it gets personal about any individual writer or character at the club. I will not air publically many private conversations between people at the club and the Chronicle suffice to say we quite often don't see eye-to-eye on our coverage.

Some of the coverage of the abject performances at Alkmaar, Charlton and home to Manchester City was very critical. I can take you through our archives and point you to numerous occasions when we have analysed what has been going on at the club.

At the end of last year we put questions of fans - all of them - to the chairman some of them very uncomfortable for him but he answered them. As did Graeme Souness until he fell out with Alan. Glenn Roeder answered fans questions more recently.

As I have said on many occasions we do not pick the team, decide the tactics, the manager or the transfer policy. We aim to reflect all views. When things go wrong it seems convenient to have a pop at individual writers.

These are people with unrivalled contacts who have covered the club for years and provide a depth of coverage which sees the nationals, and skysports turning to us every day to find out what is going on at the club.

I have no problems with intelligent criticism of our coverage - football is a matter of opinions. But when the criticism gets sneering, personal or abusive then that is something we cannot tolerate.

Our policy is simple - tell it as it is, tell it as we see it and report all sides of the debate through our range of writers, contacts and fans. We are never going to please everybody all of the time and it will be interesting as the season draws to a close to see what will happen in terms of transfer or season tickets.

Paul Robertson

Editor, Evening Chronicle

http://forums.icnewcastle.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=72

At the end of last year we put questions of fans - all of them - to the chairman some of them very uncomfortable for him but he answered them. As did Graeme Souness until he fell out with Alan. Glenn Roeder answered fans questions more recently.

Proof of the hilariously pathetic journalism technique used. Professional?

Friend - positive articles.

Not friend - negative articles.

It's like being at school.

Personally, I think Anal Oliver invites "personal attacks" as he involves himself in the stories he writes - "I understand" and "Roeder/Shepherd has told me" is appalling journalism, makes him look like a club stooge and attempts to make himself part of the news.

Writing in this manner is pure ego, and thus invites attacks personal attacks...

Personally, I think Anal Oliver invites "personal attacks" as he involves himself in the stories he writes - "I understand" and "Roeder/Shepherd has told me" is appalling journalism, makes him look like a club stooge and attempts to make himself part of the news.

Writing in this manner is pure ego, and thus invites attacks personal attacks...

Exactly. A lot of his 'journalism' appears very opinion-based, and as such it's natural that things will get personal when it comes to criticism of the man because it's his views/thoughts that are being aired. Oliver rarely just reports without mentioning something on a personal level.

Guest HGB1892

A mate of mine has been banned 3 times from that site for calling Anal Oliver an inbred racist for is scandalous comments about Martins when cunts like Dire get off scott free.

A mate of mine has been banned 3 times from that site for calling Anal Oliver an inbred racist for is scandalous comments about Martins when c***s like Dire get off scott free.

Dyer's Black. :D

Guest HGB1892

A mate of mine has been banned 3 times from that site for calling Anal Oliver an inbred racist for is scandalous comments about Martins when c***s like Dire get off scott free.

Dyer's Black. :D

I know but Martins doesn't give 300 quotes a week for Oliver to use. Hence the racist undertones of his reports.

surely the answer is stop buying the f****** newspaper!

if no one bought it to catch up on what keiron thinks or how gutted steven taylor is that they've "let the fans down" again then changes would have to be made.

the chronicle now offers nothing in terms of knowing whats going on at OUR club!

Guest Spook

I stopped buying it months ago.

The sports section was the only reason I ever bought, now its the reason I don't buy it.

The sports section was the only reason I ever bought, now its the reason I don't buy it.

I can understand that, it's the same for me, I only get it now on a Thursday.

[

I can understand that, it's the same for me, I only get it now on a Thursday.

for the jobs section.......

wanted manager for underachieving football club..... experience not necessary......  being a geordie a distinct advantage