If we hadn't have bought Shearer, who would you have liked?

Guest JonnyRogers

Guest JonnyRogers

After watching the Premiership years recently, i was wondering if Shearer had gone elsewhere when we bid for him, who would we have signed instead? Personally I would have liked us to have brought in Sheringham back in 1996 as Spurs were going nowhere at the time, and feel we could have got him. If not him, maybe Dwight Yorke, or maybe even Zola  before he'd moved to Chelsea. What do you guys think?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Douglas Hall went to Juve and tried to get Baggio and Bergkamp in one deal, didn't get very far :lol: Would have liked to see that happen though

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Douglas Hall went to Juve and tried to get Baggio and Bergkamp in one deal, didn't get very far :lol: Would have liked to see that happen though

Huh? Bergkamp played for Inter...

Like I said, he didn't get very far with the deal... turned up at Juventus with no appointment and said "I'm here to sign Baggio" they told him to wait and he did for a few hours before he realised they weren't going to sell him :lol:

Guest JonnyRogers

what about Ravenelli actually? He had a great season for Boro despite them getting relegated but 20+ goals for them!

Guest Sniffer

This is a fascinating thread.

Led me to wonder, if we had not signed Keith Kettlebrough who would we have signed?

this has reminded me, there was a lot of good strikers back then, many the equal of shearer. remember when we sold andy cole to man utd, that romario moved on the same day, and SJH placated the fans by saying "romario's just gone for £2m, we could buy 3 romarios with this money!"

this has reminded me, there was a lot of good strikers back then

agree, these days there seems to be less top class strikers IMO especially compared to the 90's era and before that even

I blame France 98, they won the world cup without a striker. the game has developed so that we see more lone strikers and forwards with mobility, there's not as much out and out goalscorers or poachers but forwards who work hard and contribute to overall play. in some ways it is better as the players these days have to be more skilful/quicker/less selfish. the best these days (etoo, henry, any others?) score as many as the likes of bierhoff, batitusta, stoichkov, shearer while being a lot more creative. Ronaldo still the best forward the modern game has thrown up, though, and ahead of his time.

Almost hindsight driven this but two forwards/strikers of comparible ability at the combined price - ie. 15m - who could have been offloaded and recycled when their respective days of productivity had clearly passed them by, instead of drafting in an 'object of worship', whose romantic move back to the North East due to his obvious ties with the area which resulted in him being fawned over by supporters immediately and the board alike, held during his mid-late career here and still does hold too much influence at the club.

• 2 years later...
Guest firetotheworks

At that time, Bergkamp or Ronaldo. They would have been fucking immense. The thought of either of them with Ferdinand is jizztastic.

Guest firetotheworks

Martins was probably about 17 in 96 right?

He was exactly the same age as me in 96 (we share the same DOB) so he would have been 11/12