Newcastle / Sunderland Question

thewellander

I have a quick question about football culture in the North East. I'm not from Newcastle, and I've never managed to make it over there, so I only know about the football culture in the area based on what I read in these message boards, etc.

My question is this: Aside from the die-hard fans from the respective cities, are there people from the North East who cheer for both Newcastle and Sunderland, or are at least happy when either wins?

Thanks!

I think very few would support both these days. But it wasn't uncomon that older generations would watch both teams.

ive got a mate who is about 40 who had a season ticket for both clubs in the eightys when it was affordable but now he has a sunderland season ticket which i believe he has had for about 30 years ,he just liked watching football i guess at a higher level than non league or lower division stuff .he always supported the mackems first and stook by them so he is not a glory hunter i guess.

My family is split down the middle,

Mam's side all die hard Mackems,

Dad's Geordies (Granda used to work with Wor Jackie no less).

Mam's dad has had to take a 'passing' interest in both sides and due to family ties I don't dispise the dorty unwashed as much as most (mild hatred I'd put it as)

Exactly the same as me, mate - aside from the Milburn bit. I certainly don't mind the Mackems at all, especially when they're not beating us, and my Granddad (from Jarrow) supported Sunderland but had a lot of time for Newcastle, much like my Uncle does now.

Guest geordie01

My granda used to regularly go to Roker Park one week, and St James' the next between 1930 & 1950.

a lot of older folk did that, from what I can tell.

why was this the case. ive heard many say that the geordie/mackem rivalry dates back hundreds of years. this is hardly the case if 50 years ago it would have been deemed acceptable to follow both teams. this certainly wouldnt have happened in Glasgow or Liverpool

Certainly my dad and uncle both had less animosity towards other local clubs than you see nowadays.

It was more of a case that it would be great to see all North East teams do well. Having pride in the region rather than just the city.

My granda used to regularly go to Roker Park one week, and St James' the next between 1930 & 1950.

why was this the case. ive heard many say that the geordie/mackem rivalry dates back hundreds of years. this is hardly the case if 50 years ago it would have been deemed acceptable to follow both teams. this certainly wouldnt have happened in Glasgow or Liverpool

Maybe we're just more open-minded. Also 50 years ago, weren't there Protestant-Catholic divides in liverpool and glasgow?

In my family the S word was never mentioned

One uncle by marriage started to "support" them when we were going through a bad patch (well - another one) and started talking a load of s**** about "its the football I'm interested in"

Understandably he was scorned and avoided by one and all - even now he's long dead it still comes up whenever his name is mentioned as an example of his lack of principle and judgement

Guest Skittles

Cause back in the days, rivalry was great, people said stuff, loads of banter, had a laugh in the meantime, nowdays its all different.. Rivalry = New excuse to belittle and hurt people

Personally I've had a lot of time for the mackems this season. Load of twats, especially the manager, but all you can do is respect the way Quinn and Keane have turned the club around. I can actualy see them staying in the EPL at the end of next season.

Aye my great uncle used to work down the mines in cambois, must have been between the 30s and the 60s, and he used to tell us every week the pit would arrange a trip to the match, alternating between us and the mackems, so I suppose alot would end up supporting both. I assume it was the same for Ashington, Bedlington etc... Always thought that was canny interesting, was your grandad a miner like? might explain it.

But nah to answer the original question I dont know of anyone supporting both nowadays. Some stupid lasses or toffs who know fuck all about football might say they do, but noone whose opinion you'd take seriously.

It wasn't a case of supporting both teams, just watching them.  When it was the days of one week home, next week away, I went to WHL to watch Spurs win (hopefully) then Highbury to see the scum lose (hopefully). 

What was different in those days was that with no motorways and my old Ford Popular having 3 gears and a top speed of 40mph, it was a bloody pain to go to away matches!  As soon as the transport problems disappeared and cars got better, going to other clubs' grounds died out as well.  It was then supporting your team home and away.