Your favourite Quotes

Decky

i love quotes, its great to hear knowledge and opinions expressed in such a way. here are some of my favourites, all John Lennon for this first post

As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain.

I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?

I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong.

If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace.

It doesn't matter how long my hair is or what colour my skin is or whether I'm a woman or a man.

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Love the one above, my favourite of the bunch

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.

The basic thing nobody asks is why do people take drugs of any sort? Why do we have these accessories to normal living to live? I mean, is there something wrong with society that's making us so pressurized, that we cannot live without guarding ourselves against it?

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

will get some other people up later, some crackers like

A cracker:

More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Woody Allen

:lol:

"An eye, for an eye, makes the whole world blind." - Mohandas (Mahatma) Gandhi.

Perhaps if a few more people thought along these lines, we wouldn't be in the shit like we are!!

See, there's three kinds of people: dicks, pussies, and assholes. Pussies think everyone can get along, and dicks just want to fuck all the time without thinking it through. But then you got your assholes, Chuck. And all the assholes want us to shit all over everything! So, pussies may get mad at dicks once in a while, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes, Chuck. And if they didn't fuck the assholes, you know what you'd get? You'd get your dick and your pussy all covered in shit!

Lady Astor to Winston Churchill:

"Winston, if you were my husband, I would put poison in your tea."

Churchill in reply:

"Madam, if I were your husband, I would drink it."

Another Churchill one.

During his second term as PM:

Assistant: "Sir, the Chancellor and the Home Secretary are here to see."

Churchill: "Tell them to go and f*ck themselves....and whether or they decide to take my advice literally, I shall leave entirely to their own discretion."

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and just be my friend."

Albert Camus

"An eye, for an eye, makes the whole world blind." - Mohandas (Mahatma) Gandhi.

Perhaps if a few more people thought along these lines, we wouldn't be in the shit like we are!!

I demand revenge.

Guest Welsh_Geordie

another winston churchill

maid: sir you are drunk!!

churchill: madam i may be drunk but in the morning i will be sober, whereas you will still be ugly

I have a couple from movies:

There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed. My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone, in fact I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape, but even after admitting this there is no catharsis, my punishment continues to elude me and I gain no deeper knowledge of myself; no new knowledge can be extracted from my telling. This confession has meant nothing.
- Patrick Bateman (American Psycho).

"You are right, Mister Bond. That is just what I am, a maniac. All the greatest men are maniacs. They are possessed by a mania which drives them forwards towards their goal. The great scientists, the philosophers, the religious leaders - all maniacs."
- Dr.No

"I'll stare the Bastard in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him."
- Marv from Sin City

• 1 year later...
Guest LucaAltieri

"Autobiography is only to be trusted when it reveals something disgraceful. A man who gives a good account of himself is probably lying, since any life when viewed from the inside is simply a series of defeats." - George Orwell

"The history of every major galactic civilization has passed through three distinct and recognisable phases: those of survival, inquiry, and sophistication. Otherwise known as the ‘How’, ‘Why’, and ‘Where’ phases. For instance, the first phase is characterised by the question: 'How can we eat?' The second by the question: 'Why do we eat?' And the third by the question: 'Where should we have lunch?'” - Douglas Adams

Guest loufahlaw

"I myself have never been able to find our precisely what feminism is; I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat" - Rebecca West

Man has been here 32,000 years. That it took a hundred million years to prepare the world for him is proof that that is what it was done for. I suppose it is. I dunno. If the Eiffel tower were now representing the world's age, the skin of paint on the pinnacle-knob at its summit would represent man's share of that age; & anybody would perceive that that skin was what the tower was built for. I reckon they would. I dunno.

Mark Twain

I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live' date=' as the greatest he.[/quote']

Article can be read here, for context.

If you seek his monument' date=' look around you.[/quote']

There's some fantastic epitaphs around, and Wren's is a great example.

The world was all before them, where to choose

Their place of rest, and Providence their guide.

They hand in hand with wand'ring steps and slow

Through Eden took their solitary way.

The final lines from Paradise Lost, my favourite poem. I could probably fill this thread with stuff from Milton. Clever bastard.

Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says' date=' in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly.[/quote']

Needs no real explanation.