Ashton, Bent, Tevez, Saviola...

KaKa

This summer there will be a number of very impressive strikers available, quite a few of who have premiership experience and who have proved they can produe in this league.

If the situation with Owen becomes a problem and a distraction and there are willing buyers, will it be a mistake to hold onto him, knowing he will not extend his contract and therefore we miss out on the chance to replace him with some very good players as he will then likely leave next summer anyway?

Another side to this is the fact that the first three strikers mentioned in this thread are almost certain to gel better with Martins as their styles of play match Martins' better. Also, these three have showed they can definitely get it done in this league.

Can we afford to miss out on this opportunity???

:undecided:

Tevez has the biggest potential by far of those on the list. And the best footballer out of them by a country mile. Would really like to see him here, hes someone we could build the team around better than we could Martins or Owen.

Even if hes not scoring, hes always a danger, is pretty creative, holds the ball up well, and takes good free kicks and corners. Good all round player with the effort, work rate and aggression to match, and if he manages to turn more of those "nearly" efforts into goals, which he looks to be already improving on steadily, hell be one of the best in the league.

IMO definately worth cashing in on Owen or Martins to get him, although wed need to rely on someone else for the more regular goals.

Tevez has the biggest potential by far of those on the list. And the best footballer out of them by a country mile. Would really like to see him here, hes someone we could build the team around better than we could Martins or Owen.

Even if hes not scoring, hes always a danger, is pretty creative, holds the ball up well, and takes good free kicks and corners. Good all round player with the effort, work rate and aggression to match, and if he manages to turn more of those "nearly" efforts into goals, which he looks to be already improving on steadily, hell be one of the best in the league.

IMO definately worth cashing in on Owen or Martins to get him, although wed need to rely on someone else for the more regular goals.

Not taking the piss.........but I would swap Owen or Martins for Tevez anyday. Sadly, there are people who like using the phrase "trophy player" such as you, that would no doubt think it applies. Particularly as you think that Duff is such a player, who as good as he was at Blackburn and appeared to be a bargain at 5m quid, isn't in the same league as Tevez.

This summer there will be a number of very impressive strikers available, quite a few of who have premiership experience and who have proved they can produe in this league.

If the situation with Owen becomes a problem and a distraction and there are willing buyers, will it be a mistake to hold onto him, knowing he will not extend his contract and therefore we miss out on the chance to replace him with some very good players as he will then likely leave next summer anyway?

Another side to this is the fact that the first three strikers mentioned in this thread are almost certain to gel better with Martins as their styles of play match Martins' better. Also, these three have showed they can definitely get it done in this league.

I'd be pleased to sign any of them - but ar'n't our biggest problems at the back.I think they want solving first.

I am sure we will end up with Pierre Boya in the last day of the transfer window..

never heard of him.

Just like most players we bought when we had a shit board.

I'd be pleased to sign any of them - but ar'n't our biggest problems at the back.I think they want solving first.

Of course, you are right. A left back willl stop us being dominated for the entire game by teams such as Wigan, Charlton and Portsmouth

Love Tevez too.

Robson enquired about him when he was manager and Roeder did enquire about Tevez last summer after the world cup but was told he wasn't for sale! So Tevez will at least be familiar with us. The great thing is he has also shown such committment despite being in a team that isn't going anywhere, so it is unlikely he would snub us unless a really top club came in for him.

Maybe if Owen leaves Glenn will be back in for Tevez? Although I can't help but think it is more likely we will go for a bigger striker with pace if Owen goes...so most likely Bent.

Bent and Martins would be something though...

I've always been a fan of Saviola, but after the season he's had he aint gonna be leaving Barca anymore. His goals while Eto'o was out injured have saved Barca imo.

NE5, why do you keep forgetting that Michael Owen - world class goalscorer in every way... and Shola Ameobi - one in two record under Roeder... are returning next season? There's no wonder we're not scoring many goals when we've only got one striker, who was always going to be touch and go this season, in the side.

Goes without saying that we will be sorting out pur defence this summer. However I am talking about Owen perhaps leaving and the options we would have to replace him with the money from his sale, as we would definitely have to replace him if he left, along with getting some defenders in.

Of course, you are right. A left back willl stop us being dominated for the entire game by teams such as Wigan, Charlton and Portsmouth

And you are right. A striker will stop us being dominated for the entire game :lol: How come West Ham are still being dominated week in week out with Tevez in their side??

And you are right. A striker will stop us being dominated for the entire game :lol: How come West Ham are still being dominated week in week out with Tevez in their side??

how come Newcastle were shite with Peter Beardsley in the team before he went to Liverpool ?

I expect you won't believe this actually happened, as we won trophies galore and the current board are totally to blame for us falling behind all the 80-odd clubs that we were better than for 50 years before they took over, but sadly it did.

how come Newcastle were shite with Peter Beardsley in the team before he went to Liverpool ?

I expect you won't believe this actually happened, as we won trophies galore and the current board are totally to blame for us falling behind all the 80-odd clubs that we were better than for 50 years before they took over, but sadly it did.

Fuck's sake.

NE5, why do you keep forgetting that Michael Owen - world class goalscorer in every way... and Shola Ameobi - one in two record under Roeder... are returning next season? There's no wonder we're not scoring many goals when we've only got one striker, who was always going to be touch and go this season, in the side.

My comment is what I think. The problem with Newcastle is how I see it. From a tactical point, I agree with your comment that playing one striker is not very good, but I also think it impacts on the defensive side of the team, the overall shape of the team, as well as the attacking threat [obviously]

I can't believe anyone thinks Ameobi will make a signicant difference to the team - a small one perhaps - and I don't think that the question of Owen and Martins even applies, as I can't see any way in the world they will form an effective front 2 partnership.

Sorry like.

Fuck's sake.

Well, if that isn't directed at Delima, it should be.

An answer from him would be appreciated, as the situations of Tevez and Beardsley are identical. If you don't believe that, then that is your hard luck.

how come Newcastle were s**** with Peter Beardsley in the team before he went to Liverpool ?

:lol: we are talking about striker preventing a team being dominated or the board and their glorious achievements? :lol:

So will a striker, be him Henry, Rooney, Berbatov or Tevez, prevent us from being dominated? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

My comment is what I think. The problem with Newcastle is how I see it. From a tactical point, I agree with your comment that playing one striker is not very good, but I also think it impacts on the defensive side of the team, the overall shape of the team, as well as the attacking threat [obviously]

I can't believe anyone thinks Ameobi will make a signicant difference to the team - a small one perhaps - and I don't think that the question of Owen and Martins even applies, as I can't see any way in the world they will form an effective front 2 partnership.

Sorry like.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5162/fascinatingem7.jpg

how come Newcastle were s**** with Peter Beardsley in the team before he went to Liverpool ?

:lol: we are talking about striker preventing a team being dominated or the board and their glorious achievements? :lol:

So will a striker, be him Henry, Rooney, Berbatov or Tevez, prevent us from being dominated? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm simply pointing out that Tevez is massively preferable to either Owen or Martins dear boy.

YOU inferred the statement that having such a good player guarantees you won't struggle. So MY question to YOU is how exactly did NUFC struggle when they had Beardsley, and then he improved Liverpool ?

I realise you may not be able to answer this.

MY point, is that I am making  a judgement of a footballer, but I realise some people can't do that, especially those who think we would be better off signing a left back. Perhaps you could tell us when exactly a left back made a significant difference to a team that finished in a mid table league position ?

If you care to read the posts, I have said on numerous occasions that a striker/forward and an attacking midfield player is what this team needs to transform and improve it. I've said it since August and I still think it applies.

I am pleased for you that you are one of those who appear to believe that a left back will transform the pattern and shape of the team so much that we will be enforcing oursleves on the opposition next season. Presumably you think when he plays the ball out of defence, or runs with it, he will pass it forward to himself, where he will hold the ball and enable the team to push forward and take the initiative and dominate the pace of the game. Then he will also support the front men when they run wide to take the ball, make runs into the box, and get back into our own half of the field in a few seconds to mark the likes of Ronaldo, Robben, or Lennon, if, or when, the move breaks down, due to lack of ability of the front men to hold the ball and enable the midfield players or midfield player --- oops sorry his left back --- to support him.

I'd love it if we signed Tevez, but not as a striker. Convert him to a CM/AM and play him with Parker or even Emre against lower-standard teams and at most home-games.

waste of talent mate.

Are there willing buyers?  Not decrying the lad because I really think with Drogba he is the best 'ball in the net' striker in the premiership.  But with his injuries he comes with baggage and I'm not sure just how many clubs would want him unless Newcastle were contemplating taking a heavy loss.

Tbh, and i know we're holding out a lot of hope for Owen and i persoanlly believe that he'll come good for us, but anyone wanting to spend a significant amount of money on him at this time would be off their head. It's touch and go as to whether he's still got the world class ability, and the chances are that his injury record may not improve.

Fred would accept nothing less than £10m for Owen. No one in their right mind would pay that at this moment in time. So no - i doubt there'll be many willing buyers.