Goalkeepers next season

Guest FlapjackJoe

Guest FlapjackJoe

I know goalkeepers are the last area we should be worrying about, but...

At the moment, our keepers (from top choice down) are:

- Shay Given

- Steve Harper

- Pavel Srnicek

- Tim Krul

- Fraser Forster

- Mark Cook

Now, I'd assume Srnicek will leave at the end of the season.  And Tim Krul has been widely reported as going on a season long loan (which I think is a great idea).

But if either Given or Harper gets injured, who exactly will be on the bench?  Fraser Forster (who was on the bench for the Frankfurt game this season)?

Or are we going to sign some other 3rd choice keeper for a season?

Or just do what other clubs do and defy every single transfer window law by claiming there's a goalkeeping crisis and just sign some random Championship player on loan for a few weeks???

Guest FlapjackJoe

Think Srnicek signed an initial 6-month deal, that got extended another 6 months.  Doubt he'll be here next season.

Let's just hope Fat Fred remembers to include the recall clause then...

Pav has been great but not a sensible long term option, Krul with a recall clause is the way to go

Aye, he was class against Bolton wasn't he.

And, in regards to Gejon's statement - Pavel Srnicek teaching Shay Given how to be a goalkeeper makes me smile, tbh.

Bored, sick, tired of this sentimental shite around the place. It does us no good.

Given is first choice

Harper his back up

And if someone of them gets injured recall Krul from his loan spell and use him

In about 2-3 years time i think Krul has to be our number 2 goalkeeper after Given

By then Harper will be 34-35 and Krul will be ready to take his place

Keeping Harper, Given and Srnicek seems sensible if Roeder wants TIMMAH! to go out on loan for the entire season. I cannot see it making sense sending him out on loan, only to recall him if one of the senior players gets injured. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to look at getting a better 3rd choice than Pav, mind, plenty of clubs have a decent 3rd 'keeper. Very unlikely with everything else we'll be doing, of course.

Not necessarily "all" teams:

Arsenal have Lehmann, Almunia, Poom on full-time contracts. Chelsea have Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Hedman on full-time contracts (although Hedman was obviously an emergency buy) and the Blues probably can't be considered "sane". The likes of Everton, Tottenham, Portsmouth, Villa, Reading and Bolton have 3 or more senior 'keepers each, as well (or at least full-timers). I can't be arsed to look into the rest of the league (outside of the top ten), but I'd assume most teams have at least 3, while Liverpool and Man Utd are two high-profile ones that do not.

Makes sense to me to keep Srnicek instead of risking wrecking Krul's loan spell or having to bring in some other dodgy 'keeper on loan at the last minute.

Pav has been great but not a sensible long term option, Krul with a recall clause is the way to go

Aye, he was class against Bolton wasn't he.

And, in regards to Gejon's statement - Pavel Srnicek teaching Shay Given how to be a goalkeeper makes me smile, tbh.

Bored, sick, tired of this sentimental shite around the place. It does us no good.

So you have to have been world class player to be a good coach?

Maybe we just keep Given and Harper, and if we're desperate need for another, we loan one. Like all of the sane Premiership clubs do.

Exactly. No need for another keeper. If Given or Harper are injured recall Krul. Failing that you are allowed to bring keepers in outside the transfer window.

What can Pav teach Given that Given doesn't already know?

What could anyone?

You need goalkeeping coaches, and for all any of us know Pav could be up there with the best.

Given has been one of the best two or three goalkeepers in the Premier League for about the past 5 years, and Harper (granted he's not as good as he used to be), has been one of the best understudies and still puts in a more than decent shift when called upon.

History tells us that the sentimental garbage that we put upon ourselves doesn't work. Clark, MacDermott, Roeder.

I say we stick with the current goalkeeper coaching set-up.

What can Pav teach Given that Given doesn't already know?

What could anyone?

You need goalkeeping coaches, and for all any of us know Pav could be up there with the best.

Given has been one of the best two or three goalkeepers in the Premier League for about the past 5 years, and Harper (granted he's not as good as he used to be), has been one of the best understudies and still puts in a more than decent shift when called upon.

History tells us that the sentimental garbage that we put upon ourselves doesn't work. Clark, MacDermott, Roeder.

I say we stick with the current goalkeeper coaching set-up.

The world class keeper that is Adam Sadler was coaching Given before and Shay sung his praises.

Its quite common for top coaches/managers not being great players in their past. That said Pav being taken on is definitely job for the boys stuff.

Don't disagree with you, Jon! That is regularly the case.

But i think my point still stands. It's a shame we'd rather be Geordie nation et al, rather than do it properly.

Yep. To be fair its not like Shepherd is planning to have a Geordie legend as our next manager or anything though.