The Layman Plan to Improve Our Squad

Delima

Not talking about the manager, nor the chairman, nor the club structure. Purely about the players this time.

Obviously we must always look to improve our squad but how? Who? Why? Where?

If we have a scan on our current players

Forwards

Michael Owen - 27

Shola Ameobi - 25

Obefami Martins - 22

Albert Luque - 29

Andy Carroll - 18

Antoine Sibierski - 32

Midfielders

Charles N'Zogbia - 20

Damien Duff - 28

Emre Belözoğlu - 26

Kieron Dyer - 28

Scott Parker - 26

Nicky Butt - 32

James Milner - 21

Defenders

Celestine Babayaro - 28

Steven Taylor - 21

Peter Ramage - 23

Oguchi Onyewu - 24

Paul Huntington - 19

David Edgar - 19

Noberto Solano - 32

Stephen Carr - 30

Keeper

Shay Given - 30

Steve Harper - 32

Tim Krul - 19

I omit O'Brien and Pattison as I don't think they have future in this club. I leave out Bernard, Bramble and Moore because it is apparent that they will leave after this season.

We don't have an old squad, nor a young one. So we have no need to start purging senior players yet.

It is glaring that the department most lacking quality is our defense. Babayaro not good enough, Ramage not good enough, Carr not good enough, Huntington and Edgar going out on loan, Onyewu and Taylor not really good enough. The only reliable defender is Noberto Solano. We are in desparate need for a new quality central defender, preferably with leadership qualities, to lead and partner Taylor. Onyewu can go or stay, if he stays he would only be a 2nd string defender. I'm inclined towards him staying, as his height could prove useful in certain situations.

The priority, the big signing, the trophy signing come this summer should be an excellent central defender, ideally in his mid twenties, nearing his peak, can lead the line and more importantly could settle in immediately. This sounds like a big ask, but that's where the careful and thorough scouting comes in and how a huge chunk of transfer fee (10 to 15M) could be justifiably spent. Then, get a forward minded left back who could support the left winger well.

We shouldn't get rid of Babayaro and Carr as yet, as I doubt we could find their replacements easily without breaking the bank. After spending so much on the new central defender and left back, relegate B & C to second string.

Meanwhile, we should keep pursuing quality Bosman players. Well done Glenn for not missing Sidwell out. There are other good bosmans players too and we would want shot if we don't throw our weights around. Here is a list made by someone else

Sylvain Distin

Steve Sidwell

Sanli Tuncay

Javier Saviola

Yidiray Basturk

Claudio Pizzaro

Tal Ben-Haim

Ivan Klasnic

In the long run, we will need to rid Babayaro, Carr,  Onyewu, Sibierski, Butt and Solano. But we could do these in next January and next summer.

Assuming Sidwell coming to Newcastle this summer, within a summer our new squad could look like

Martins, Owen

(Sibierski, Dyer, Ameobi)

Zoggy, Emre, Parker, Milner

(Duff, Sidwell, Butt)

New, New, Taylor, Solano

(Babayaro, Onyewu, Ramage, Carr)

Given

(Harper)

This, certainly, is a good squad who capable of challenging top 6.

That's a good plan.

I sayid this long time ago

Get

Gerard Pique - Doing very well in Real Zaragoza

Giuseppi Rossi - Starting every game for Parma

Johny Evans - Doing excellently for Sunderland

Guest FlapjackJoe

I agree, Piqué is a class, class defender.

No way Manure would let any of those players go though.

Rossi "shite-ness" here = Boumsong "shite-ness" here?  :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

Boumsong is not even doing well in Juventus for god sake. If Boumsong is doing well in Juventus what's the problem of resigning him, provided the fee is reasonable?

I take it you wouldn't want Distin here?

Guest teepee

nice to see someone not panicking totally delima :D

i agree with most of what you say - except one or two things. i would get rid of carr and baba asap - simply because of the wages they are paid (around 25k both i assume). it will leave us with a problem in terms of players, but id rather rely on ramage/taylor/hunts/edgar as backup for solano at right back, and then maybe get in a youngster as back up for our new left back (or if we sign distin he can be used there in case of an emergency).

Not talking about the manager, nor the chairman, nor the club structure. Purely about the players this time.

Obviously we must always look to improve our squad but how? Who? Why? Where?

If we have a scan on our current players

Forwards

Michael Owen - 27

Shola Ameobi - 25

Obefami Martins - 22

Albert Luque - 29

Andy Carroll - 18

Antoine Sibierski - 32

Midfielders

Charles N'Zogbia - 20

Damien Duff - 28

Emre Belözoğlu - 26

Kieron Dyer - 28

Scott Parker - 26

Nicky Butt - 32

James Milner - 21

Defenders

Celestine Babayaro - 28

Steven Taylor - 21

Peter Ramage - 23

Oguchi Onyewu - 24

Paul Huntington - 19

David Edgar - 19

Noberto Solano - 32

Stephen Carr - 30

Keeper

Shay Given - 30

Steve Harper - 32

Tim Krul - 19

I omit O'Brien and Pattison as I don't think they have future in this club. I leave out Bernard, Bramble and Moore because it is apparent that they will leave after this season.

We don't have an old squad, nor a young one. So we have no need to start purging senior players yet.

It is glaring that the department most lacking quality is our defense. Babayaro not good enough, Ramage not good enough, Carr not good enough, Huntington and Edgar going out on loan, Onyewu and Taylor not really good enough. The only reliable defender is Noberto Solano. We are in desparate need for a new quality central defender, preferably with leadership qualities, to lead and partner Taylor. Onyewu can go or stay, if he stays he would only be a 2nd string defender. I'm inclined towards him staying, as his height could prove useful in certain situations.

The priority, the big signing, the trophy signing come this summer should be an excellent central defender, ideally in his mid twenties, nearing his peak, can lead the line and more importantly could settle in immediately. This sounds like a big ask, but that's where the careful and thorough scouting comes in and how a huge chunk of transfer fee (10 to 15M) could be justifiably spent. Then, get a forward minded left back who could support the left winger well.

We shouldn't get rid of Babayaro and Carr as yet, as I doubt we could find their replacements easily without breaking the bank. After spending so much on the new central defender and left back, relegate B & C to second string.

Meanwhile, we should keep pursuing quality Bosman players. Well done Glenn for not missing Sidwell out. There are other good bosmans players too and we would want shot if we don't throw our weights around. Here is a list made by someone else

Sylvain Distin

Steve Sidwell

Sanli Tuncay

Javier Saviola

Yidiray Basturk

Claudio Pizzaro

Tal Ben-Haim

Ivan Klasnic

In the long run, we will need to rid Babayaro, Carr,  Onyewu, Sibierski, Butt and Solano. But we could do these in next January and next summer.

Assuming Sidwell coming to Newcastle this summer, within a summer our new squad could look like

Martins, Owen

(Sibierski, Dyer, Ameobi)

Zoggy, Emre, Parker, Milner

(Duff, Sidwell, Butt)

New, New, Taylor, Solano

(Babayaro, Onyewu, Ramage, Carr)

Given

(Harper)

This, certainly, is a good squad who capable of challenging top 6.

No, its not. Your strikeforce is a decent enough player who might turn out great, or might not; an injury prone star who may or may not even be here; two striekrs who are nowhere near good enough; and an average midfielder who makes a bad striker.

Not a forward line that will be firing us to the top 6.

I disagree that Rossi is shite. Just cos he didn't do much for us while sat on the bench, doesn't mean he's a bad player.

I liked what I saw of him tbh. Technically, he was excellent, and he was always getting into good positions.

However, he never played witha striker with who he could form an effective partnership.

Guest assyriantoon

With that list you need to move Solano into midfield and then look for a new right back. I may get bashed for this but I think that Carr is a better right-back then Solano. This season Solano has done well as our emergency cover but I think we are totally overhyping him if we really see him as a first choice right back. If we cant get a good right-back then I wouldn't mind keeping carr and having Solano as our cover for both right wing and right back.

By the way, I know we dont particularly need another forward but id sanli Tuncay really is available on a free we can't pass him up.

Rossi "s****-ness" here = Boumsong "s****-ness" here?  :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

Boumsong is not even doing well in Juventus for god sake. If Boumsong is doing well in Juventus what's the problem of resigning him, provided the fee is reasonable?

I take it you wouldn't want Distin here?

Distin left 5 years ago where as Boumsong left 8 months ago and Rossi 4 months ago, you really can't see the difference can you?!

I reckon Rossi will turn out to be a good player. Don't know how people can compare him to Boumsong and his time here.