No reserve game for Owen

Skirge

Oh well, will he play any time soon? not looking like it..

Owen's Blues date in doubt

Apr 17 2007

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

Michael Owen's proposed comeback against Chelsea is in major jeopardy after the Newcastle United striker was told he could not play in the reserve game against Middlesbrough this evening.

Owen is desperate to play against Chelsea in the Premiership on Sunday and wanted to prove his fitness ahead of the arrival of the reigning champions with a run-out for the second string.

But Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder is not convinced the England international is ready to launch his first-team comeback just yet and has instructed the club's record signing not to rush his return from the career-threatening knee injury which has kept him out all season.

The decision to leave the England international out tonight is a precautionary one rather than a setback in his rehabilitation, but it will still be an irritating one for the player.

Owen, who was linked with a move to Manchester United over the weekend, is keen to prove his fitness and regain match sharpness before the end of the season, partly so that he can be involved in England's summer internationals, but also because of the immense frustration he has endured at missing so much football in a Newcastle shirt. Despite some claims the 27-year-old is more concerned about playing for his country than his club, Owen has privately spoken of the debt he feels he needs to repay to Newcastle and the club's supporters after two years of injury problems.

Roeder, though, is naturally cautious about Owen's return having lost the club's record signing for the majority of the season as a result of the injury he suffered while playing for the national side at the World Cup last summer.

There is a chance Newcastle will arrange a behind-closed-doors friendly later in the week, although it is extremely unlikely the £17m man will be involved at the weekend after failing to convince his manager he is ready to start a reserve game five days earlier.

Owen was arguably short of match sharpness in Germany because of the broken foot which forced him to miss more than half of his first season on Tyneside and the former Real Madrid star will probably need four or five games to find his best form this time.

With that in mind, Newcastle's four remaining Premiership fixtures, coupled with England's first game at the new Wembley against Brazil on June 1, would have put him in perfect shape for the vital European Championship qualification clash with Estonia on June 6.

Newcastle chairman Freddie Shepherd has indicated he is willing to go to court to seek an injunction to prevent Owen from playing for his country unless the FA come up with an acceptable package of compensation for the Magpies.

Shepherd is furious at the lack of financial support he feels the club has received from the FA after Owen's injury in Germany 10 months ago and the row - if it leads to the courtroom - could spark major changes in international football.

National associations would, in theory, have to cover the wages and pay the cost of treatment for players injured on international duty.

However, as things stand, it is difficult to see how Shepherd will be able to stop Owen from playing against Estonia, unless the player, which is unlikely, agrees he is not fit enough.

Under Fifa regulations, clubs cannot prevent their players from playing in a competitive international and a national coach can demand the release of a player five days before the game, even if his club insist he is injured.

Meanwhile, Roeder's hopes of pairing Peter Crouch with Owen in a new look front-line next season appear doomed after the Liverpool striker insisted last night that he will not be leaving Anfield.

"It has never entered my head," said Crouch, who was wanted by Roeder in the January transfer window.

"I'm happy here. There are more things to come and we will win more things and I certainly don't want to leave, but I've got to work hard and make sure I'm invaluable to the set-up, otherwise you will find yourself out of it.

"People are saying I am going to move on but I'm determined to prove I'm happy at the club and want to stay, and until I'm told otherwise I will carry on doing the same things and working hard."

United's Republic of Ireland winger Damien Duff will miss the rest of the season due to the ankle injury which forced him off during Saturday's 2-1 defeat at Portsmouth.

Who thinks this has something to do with Freddy telling Roeder to keep Owen out of the side until the season's over so he can say to the FA in the summer 'look, he hasn't even played for us, he's not going to be playing for you' or am I just really cynical?

Who thinks this has something to do with Freddy telling Roeder to keep Owen out of the side until the season's over so he can say to the FA in the summer 'look, he hasn't even played for us, he's not going to be playing for you' or am I just really cynical?

It could very well be, I would put nothing past Fred, money comes before everything!

It could very well be, I would put nothing past Fred, money comes before everything!

Cant say I really disagree with shepherd if that is the case though.

I suppose the season is over for us anyway now and Fred will be thinking of the money but I for one would love to see Owen take some part in the last four games.

I suppose the season is over for us anyway now and Fred will be thinking of the money but I for one would love to see Owen take some part in the last four games.

I would as well,  but as you say the season is pretty much over and it would keep him fresh for next season. I think we will see him before the season ends though.

We may just see him in an Emgland shirt and that will be a disgrace, he should not be picked if he has missed a full season,  mind even if he played our last four games should he get an England place?

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1012084,00.html

Shola Named In Strong Reserve Side

SHOLA Ameobi will continue his return to full fitness when he lines up for Newcastle United Reserves against Middlesbrough on Tuesday night.

Lee Clark also includes Titus Bramble, Charles N'Zogbia and Peter Ramage in his line-up for the short trip to the Riverside Stadium (kick-off 7pm).

It will be Ameobi's first competitive game since undergoing surgery back in November to cure a long-standing hip problem.

United field the following side: Fraser Forster, David Edgar, Chris Shanks, Kris Gate, Peter Ramage, Titus Bramble, Matty Pattison, Alan O'Brien, Andy Carroll, Shola Ameobi, Charles N'Zogbia.

Subs: Mark Bertram, Alex Francis, James Marwood, Kazenga LuaLua, Jonny Godsmark.

Boro's second string go into the game just a point behind league leaders Manchester United, but with a game in hand.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Mercenary Michael was injured playing for England so the FA should pay for all his medical costs at least.

Newcastle shouldn't be out of pocket by one penny.

I agree with Fat Fred on this one.

Mercenary Michael was injured playing for England so the FA should pay for all his medical costs at least.

I agree but will it make much difference if he plays the last four games of the season, are the FA really going to be that pathetic about it?

I agree but will it make much difference if he plays the last four games of the season, are the FA really going to be that pathetic about it?

Yes, yes they are.

Zoggie being in the reserve team may be more about getting him match fit, getting more game timer under his belt now Duff is out.

I still think he will be away at the end of the season but I do not think his inclusion in the reserve team is an indication of that.

Zoggie being in the reserve team may be more about getting him match fit, getting more game timer under his belt now Duff is out.

I still think he will be away at the end of the season but I do not think his inclusion in the reserve team is an indication of that.

Reeks of a "punishment" to me, like, but you're right in saying it could be for a number of reasons.

Duff is injured so the right thing is to play Zoggy on the left wing for the remaining 4 games

If Roeder doesnt play Zoggy for the last 4 games he is getting even more stupid in my eyes

How many other players go into the reserves to get match fit under Roeder?

Guest smoggeordie

Lee Bowyer, Ameobi, Clark, Ramage, Owen would have had he been ready.

Did Carr? Shambles? Duff?

Guest smoggeordie

No.

No.

Didn't think so.

At least we'll know, now that Duff is fucked.

If he plays Dyer out there before The Zog, we'll know that Roeder is an even bigger waker than i thought.

Guest johnson293

As far as Owen goes, I dont mind him not playing until next season, as long as he doesn't play for England in the Summer.

So, if Shepherd and the clubs legal people are confident the FA can't demand or make Owen turn out for them, then I say lets wait until pre-season, and let him fully recover.

However, if it appears that we wont be able to stop England calling him up/playing him, then i say stick him back in now, at any level - I'd far rather he got injured again playing for us, than for England.

And, am I wrong to be quite happy to see Ameobi on his way back as well??  :uglystupid2:

MJ

As far as Owen goes, I dont mind him not playing until next season, as long as he doesn't play for England in the Summer.

So, if Shepherd and the clubs legal people are confident the FA can't demand or make Owen turn out for them, then I say lets wait until pre-season, and let him fully recover.

However, if it appears that we wont be able to stop England calling him up/playing him, then i say stick him back in now, at any level - I'd far rather he got injured again playing for us, than for England.

And, am I wrong to be quite happy to see Ameobi on his way back as well??  :uglystupid2:

MJ

Yes, you are.

Rose-tinted.

MJ

No. He may or may not be good enough but he's better than who's playing at the moment.