The Final Run In

JH

the Champions League final has no bearing on the outcome of the league but the UEFA Cup does

It does, if Arsenal win, and Spurs come fourth, then doesn't one less team get in the UEFA Cup?

the Champions League final has no bearing on the outcome of the league but the UEFA Cup does

I think that if the Arse win the CL but finish 5th, then Spurs would get a UEFA cup place because arsenal would take their CL place. Meaning 4th, and 6th would get UEFA places plus either Boro or West Ham. Unless Boro win the UEFA cup this year......

It does, if Arsenal win, and Spurs come fourth, then doesn't one less team get in the UEFA Cup?

Say Arsenal win the CL and finish fifth. They get the CL place and Spurs get the UEFA Cup space and 6th will be unaffected as will 7th. It would basically a flip of places to my reckoning.

We're equal on goal difference now with Blackburn, and at this point, there's no reason why we shouldn't get 6th.  If Owen, Emre, Bowyer, and Taylor are back for that final game, we should have a very good chance. 

On paper, our remaining fixtures looks pretty against others...

westham have pools and spurs which would be tough

wigan have tough game against arsenal and also pompey are in with a shout

bolton also have a tough game against spurs...

its just fingers crossed that blackburn slips up against chelsea and one of the two other teams that theyre playing..

hopefully... we can get a result against chelsea... the commentators were right.. its hard to see chelsea giving us all 3 points as champs and last game of the season...

a point would be realistic...

Ah, I see.

However we would lose our UEFA cup place if Tottenham's appeal succeeded.

Wouldn't that just mean Spurs get Cl instead of Uefa and anything below is unaffected?

<removed: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,19161.0.html>

Finish at 55 points.

By my calculations we have blackburn and bolton to reckon with for 6th place and I'm extremely afraid that bolton might get at least a point against Spurs. Although it is an important game for Spurs, if they do not win then I see Bolton stealing our place UNLESS we win against Chelsea on the final day (which I have a feeling we will have to do AND will do).

Ah, I see.

Wouldn't that just mean Spurs get Cl instead of Uefa and anything below is unaffected?

The outcome of a successful appeal could have many outcomes, but one is that Arsenal and Spurs get CL places, and a club from Andorra who would have been in the CL gets our UEFA Cup place.

Ah, I see.

The outcome of a successful appeal could have many outcomes, but one is that Arsenal and Spurs get CL places, and a club from Andorra who would have been in the CL gets our UEFA Cup place.

But wouldn't that be the UEFA Cup place from 5th and 6th would still go to us if we were there?

At the moment we are "joint 6th" if the following rule is used:

"7. Subject to Rule B.29, if any 2 or more Clubs have scored the same number of points, have the same goal difference and have scored the same number of goals in League Matches in that Season they shall be deemed to occupy the same position in the table."

What happens at the end of the season if two clubs are level on goal difference and goals scored?  Who goes into UEFA?

source: http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.rac?command=setSelectedId&nextPage=enSpecFeatures&id=3304&type=com.fapl.website.features.SpecialFeature&categoryCode=CompetitionExplained&breadcrumb=

have to agree that blackburn are gonna beat us to 6th place.

Tuesday, 02 May 2006

Barclays Premiership

Blackburn v Chelsea, 20:00

cant see this as a good fixture for us.......unless manu BEAT chelsea on 29th (yeah right)

a draw at old traford and chelsea win the titile and the players go into holiday mode/world cup mode

if they have the title before 2nd may, then why should they perform against blackburn??

i def see blackburn getting points out of that game((