Small sided games

Canuck

For the upcoming season I have to choose between a regular league and a 7 a side league.

Does anyone here play 7 a side football? Has anyone recently switched? Better or worse?

Any input would be welcome!

For the upcoming season I have to choose between a regular league and a 7 a side league.

Does anyone here play 7 a side football? Has anyone recently switched? Better or worse?

would play 7 a-side if i was you, the low quality of 11-a-side normally means for absolute shit matches.

would play 7 a-side if i was you, the low quality of 11-a-side normally means for absolute shit matches.

Yep, low level 11-a-side tends to involve little skill and a lot of paniced hoofing!

Yep, low level 11-a-side tends to involve little skill and a lot of paniced hoofing!

didn't suit your game either then?  :blush:

i was absolutely useless at the '1 second on the ball, hoof it up the pitch and hope for the best' game.

7 a side is miles better. I even prefer 6 a side indoor myself. More time on the ball, more movement, and more goals. Its also loads more exercise which is a plus or negative depending on who you are - if you are not in good shape and everyone else is you might be looking at a coronary with the "small sided games."

Cheers for the replies.

Our 11-a-side team is not a hoof-it-and-hope type of team but it has been deteriorating. I think I'll go with the 7-a-side this summer.

I play indoor which is 6-a-side but the game is very different because of the walls. Keeps the fitness level up but I find the skill level drops because whenever someone is under pressure they ping it off the wall to noone in particular.

didn't suit your game either then?  :blush:

i was absolutely useless at the '1 second on the ball, hoof it up the pitch and hope for the best' game.

Wasn't allowed over the half way line most of the time when I was playing at right back because the centre backs were too slow to keep up with any counter attack! I play a lot of 5/6/7 a side now and its much better. Allows you to play well and apapt your game if needed (like if you are having a shocker up front its easier to drop deeper and have more luck defending etc..)