Best 10 English players of the last 25 years

Stevie

Who would you rate as the best ten English players of the last 25 years (for your own reasons, nobody is right or wrong)

1.  Peter Beardsley

2.  Alan Shearer

3.  Paul Scholes

4.  Steven Gerrard

5.  Paul Gascoigne

6.  Bryan Robson

7.  Chris Waddle

8.  John Barnes

9.  Tony Adams

10.David Beckham

Hard to argue with that list really, not sure I'd agree with the order (if it is in order). Would maybe include Lineker purely for his goal scoring ability. Terry Butcher and Peter Shilton are worth a mention too.

Who would you rate as the best ten English players of the last 25 years (for your own reasons, nobody is right or wrong)

1.  Peter Beardsley

2.  Alan Shearer

3.  Paul Scholes

4.  Steven Gerrard

5.  Paul Gascoigne

6.  Bryan Robson

7.  Chris Waddle

8.  John Barnes

9.  Tony Adams

10.David Beckham

Good shout.  Half of them from the north east too I notice

The thing is with Andy Cole, how many times did he play for England?  3?  Le Tissier never won anything or played more than a few times for England.  Also I can't put Owen in and leave Lineker out, he is the top scorer after all, but he doesn't merit a place in the top 10 for me, he admits himself he'd have been nothing for England without Peter.  They're all good players MLT, GL etc... but who would you remove to put them in.

1.  Peter Beardsley

2.  Alan Shearer

3.  Paul Scholes

4.  Paul Gascoigne

5.  Bryan Robson

6.  Chris Waddle

7.  John Barnes

8.  Stuart Pearce

9.  Michael Owen

10.Tony Adams

The thing is with Andy Cole, how many times did he play for England?  3?  Le Tissier never won anything or played more than a few times for England.  Also I can't put Owen in and leave Lineker out, he is the top scorer after all, but he doesn't merit a place in the top 10 for me, he admits himself he'd have been nothing for England without Peter.  They're all good players MLT, GL etc... but who would you remove to put them in.

gerrard for sure

gerrard for sure

You're kidding me on?

gerrard for sure

You're kidding me on?

what has he done for england?

Guest smoggeordie

gerrard for sure

You're kidding me on?

Carried us single handedly while all the other prima donnas sunned themselves up?

gerrard for sure

You're kidding me on?

Carried us single handedly while all the other prima donnas sunned themselves up?

liverpool?

Guest smoggeordie

gerrard for sure

You're kidding me on?

liverpool?

What has he done for England?

gerrard for sure

You're kidding me on?

liverpool?

What has he done for England?

not very much

Guest brewer

But he carried England to glory against Andorra!!!!!!!!

He took the game by the scruff of the neck and drove them on!!!!

I can't allow the likes of David Platt to be ahead of Waddle, I just can't.  It's not necessarily what they did for England you know.  The stats would tell you Platt was as good as any goalscoring midfielder we've ever had other than the Pig of Ashington, but he was efficient, nothing more.  Waddle was the only English player to come in the top two for the European Player of The Year award in 20 years, and was voted Marseille's best ever player.