Best 10 English players of the last 25 years

Stevie

Platt was a good player but he was essentially just a box-to-box midfielder with a great engine and an eye for goal.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Ferdinand. L

Shearer

Owen

Fowler

Terry

Carragher

Cole, Andrew

Cole, Joe

Rooney

Hoddle

Stick to wummery

stick to not being able to afford the internet in his Leith highrise

I told you before Stevie, you're shite at this guessing game. As Leith has fuck all to do with me, you have obviously at one time or another in your seedy past been sold some very bad smack in a leith high rise, that's the only explanation for your fixation I can see tbh

Platt was a good player but he was essentially just a box-to-box midfielder with a great engine and an eye for goal.

He was good, but he never had anywhere near the class of a Gascoigne or a Hoddle.

He was good, but he never had anywhere near the class of a Gascoigne or a Hoddle.

Class partnership with Gazza in the middle like.

Ferdinand. L

Shearer

Owen

Fowler

Terry

Carragher

Cole, Andrew

Cole, Joe

Rooney

Hoddle

Stick to wummery

I told you before Stevie, you're s**** at this guessing game. As Leith has f*** all to do with me, you have obviously at one time or another in your seedy past been sold some very bad smack in a leith high rise, that's the only explanation for your fixation I can see tbh

Mikey Forrester

Guest Invicta_Toon

Ferdinand. L

Shearer

Owen

Fowler

Terry

Carragher

Cole, Andrew

Cole, Joe

Rooney

Hoddle

Stick to wummery

I told you before Stevie, you're s**** at this guessing game. As Leith has f*** all to do with me, you have obviously at one time or another in your seedy past been sold some very bad smack in a leith high rise, that's the only explanation for your fixation I can see tbh

Mikey Forrester

didn't you recognise him like?

OVERALL PLAYER OF THE DECADE - Alan Shearer

DOMESTIC PLAYER OF THE DECADE - Alan Shearer

http://tenseasons.premierleague.com/en/images/alan-shearer.jpg

In the history of the FA Premier League, Alan Shearer is, quite simply, a striker without equal.

No other forward can even come close to matching his goal-scoring record in the opening decade of Premiership competition and few players have been able to demonstrate a similar standard of commitment, determination, desire and achievement over such a long period at the very highest level.

Shearer's scoring statistics and records speak for themselves. With Blackburn he became the first man to score 100 goals in the Premiership, taking just over three seasons to reach that milestone.

After moving to his native Newcastle, he then became the first, and still the only, player to complete his double century of Premiership goals, with the roar from the Toon Army almost taking the roof off St James. Park as their hero found the net against Charlton in April 2002.

And this season Shearer made another piece of history, with his rocket free-kick against Manchester United at Old Trafford making him the only player in the history of the competition to score 100 goals for two different clubs.

Shearer has all the attributes of a classic English centre-forward. The pace of his youth may have faded somewhat through advancing years and wear and tear caused by serious knee injury, but he remains a fearsome opponent against whom defenders will not receive a moments rest.

The shooting power he generates with his lethal right foot is awesome and his strength in holding off defenders remains legendary. He has few equals in the air and his fierce competitive streak helps him win challenges and battles which he goes into as second favourite.

Shearer's Premiership bow for Blackburn on the opening weekend of the competition in August 1992 certainly served notice of his intentions.

Just two days after celebrating his 22nd birthday, Shearer marked his debut for Rovers following his Ј3.3million summer move from Southampton in stunning fashion, firing home two goals as Blackburn drew 3-3 in a thrilling encounter at Selhurst Park.

And since that day, the goals have continued to flow.

Shearer scored 16 in 21 Premiership appearances in 1992/93, but missed a major part of the campaign after suffering cruciate ligament damage against Leeds on Boxing Day which ruled him out of the rest of the season.

He bounced back in style the following season, finishing with 31 league goals, second only to Newcastle's Andy Cole in the scoring charts, and also being voted Footballer of the Year as Blackburn finished second in the table behind Manchester United.

But there was no stopping the Shearer-Blackburn bandwagon the following season as Kenny Dalglish's side secured the Premiership title in nail-biting fashion, thanks mainly to the stunning return of 34 goals from their leading marksman.

Shearer's prolific club form, which he replicated on international duty with England, attracted the interest of clubs across Europe, with many top teams coveting the services of the deadly marksman.

But when Kevin Keegan tabled a stunning £15million offer to bring Shearer back 'home' to Newcastle in the summer of 1996, there was only ever going to be one club which won the race for his services.

But Shearer suffered the second major injury of his career before his second season with his beloved Magpies had even got under way.

An innocuous looking fall during the pre-season Umbro tournament in July 1997 saw him suffer a broken leg and ruptured ankle ligaments and kept him out of action until the following January.

Once again, Shearer bravely battled back to full fitness, confounding the critics and remaining Newcastle's focal point for attacks during the Keegan, Kenny Dalglish and Ruud Gulliteras.

But it was the appointment of Sir Bobby Robson as manager at St James' Park which brought a real resurgence to Newcastle and Shearer alike, the club romping to an 8-0 victory over Sheffield Wednesday in Robson's second game in charge, with Shearer finding the net five times - another Premiership record, but one he shares with Cole.

Robson knew exactly how to get the best out of Shearer, and built a team packed with vibrant attacking talent such as Kieron Dyer, Laurent Robert, Craig Bellamy and Nolberto Solano who provide the service on which Shearer thrives.

Shearer's goals helped Newcastle achieve a return to the Champions League as they secured fourth place in the 2001/2002 Barclaycard Premiership on the back of his tally of 23 - second only to Arsenal's Thierry Henry.

The plaudits and praise for Shearer throughout his career have come from all quarters, but the words of Keegan, who shelled out £15million for his services in 1996 are the most fitting tribute.

"He's the best, it's a simple as that," Keegan said. "Not because he's outrageously skilful, not because he's got tremendous flair, but because every single week when you go out there and play against Alan Shearer - it doesn't matter who you are as a defender - you know you're in for a tough afternoon".

Alan Shearer has been a player without parallel over the first 10 Seasons of the FA Premier League and it is fitting that he has now been confirmed as the Overall Player of the Decade.

However the accolades for Shearer do not stop here. He has been selected for both the Domestic and Overall teams of the Decade as well being recognised for the unbelievable feat of scoring 204 Premiership goals over the past decade. His final award is perhaps the most prestigious as Alan Shearer has been selected by our esteemed panel to receive the inaugural Premier League Outstanding Contribution to Football.

I find it bizarre that not many people are mentioning Gary Lineker?  Isn't he the joint top scorer ever for England?  The guy was prolific - he may not have had the ball skills of Waddle/Beardsley or the leadership skills of an Adams but the fact is the guy scored goals by the truck load, one of the most clinical finshers I have ever seen.

I find it bizarre that not many people are mentioning Gary Lineker?  Isn't he the joint top scorer ever for England?  The guy was prolific - he may not have had the ball skills of Waddle/Beardsley or the leadership skills of an Adams but the fact is the guy scored goals by the truck load, one of the most clinical finshers I have ever seen.

2nd after Bobby Charlton (only 1 goal behind iirc).

Guest Knightrider

Based purely on talent and ability, not achievement and in no particular order...

Shearer  - One of the best centre-forwards in world football over the course of his career, no equal in English football.

Beardsley - One of the most underrated players to have graced our game, Paul Scholes with flair and trickery.

Scholes  - Beardsley but without the flair and trickery, as well as tackling abilities. One of the best attacking midfielders in the world over the years.

Gazza - In his prime he had it all, amazing skills and vision.

Gerrard - Complete all-rounder, one of the best midfielders in the world.

Owen - One of the most exciting strikers we've produced, when he first broke onto the scene he was unplayable and so electric, amazing finisher.

Rooney - Immense talent for someone so young, has a long way to go but already everything is there pretty much.

Matt Le Tissier - Lacked the drive and desire others had but there weren't as many as gifted as he was with a football at his feet.

Robbie Fowler - As goalscorers go, he was right up there, an amazing talent.

Steve Mcmanaman - He didn't produce it that often but when he did he was also unplayable. Another amazing talent.

I have to say I'd take Platt over Gerrard eight days a week.

That's why aussies should stick to Rugby League

McMananamen isn't even top 25

He's top 25 but not top 10.  Not everyone gets to play for Real Madrid.

WTF, how can you all forget Lineker?

#1 for me for sure. well either him or Shearer.

Have you read the first page? ;)

Guest stormrider

Have you read the first page? ;)

yup but wasn't mentioned in all the lists. which he should have been tbh ;)

I think Lineker was nothing without Beardsley, nothing.  He said the same himself, he was nothing other than a good moocher.  Fair enough he scored a hattrick in "El Classico" but all his goals were tap ins, he'd never be above the likes of Barnes, Beardsley, Shearer etc... in my list.  It wasn't just based on England performances.  Goals aren't everything.  David Platt got 27, Shearer got 30.  So Platt was nearly as good a goalscorer as Shearer.  Most of your arguments are based on Lineker's 48 England goals.  Why are the best two English strikers of the last 50 years ALWAYS mentioned as being Jimmy Greaves and Alan Shearer.  Why isn't Lineker mentioned?  I'll tell you why because he was a good scorer, his positioning was second to none, but THAT IS ALL he had to his game.  Once he got the hepatitis I knew he was basically finished, because without pace he was nothing.  Put it this way anyone of us here could've scored his hattrick against Poland, anyone.  Three tap ins created by Beardsley and Trevor Steven.  If he hadn't have scored any that day England were going home, he doesn't get his move to Barcelona, and he ends up with 0 goals in the competition and stuck rotting at Everton.  He was a lucky player.

That's a bit harsh Stevie!

But maybe you're right, my being Australian makes me view English players differently than you - I think that any player with a modicum of talent is massively over-hyped, way above the reality of the situation.

In my opinion Stevie G is one of those players, over-rated by an English press and public desperate to think they're still a force on the world stage.

That's not to say he's the most over-rated English player going around - ahead of him on that list are the likes of Lampard, Ashley Cole, Lennon. I'd say he's in a similar bracket to Terry and Rooney - talented yes, world beater no...

And as for Platt, what can I say, I loved the way he played, not in Scholes' class but close - again, in my opinion

Guest Invicta_Toon

Could've been written by Vic.

except it blatantly wasn't

Stevie's given up on the guessing game and now re-writing history :lol:

That's a bit harsh Stevie!

But maybe you're right, my being Australian makes me view English players differently than you - I think that any player with a modicum of talent is massively over-hyped, way above the reality of the situation.

In my opinion Stevie G is one of those players, over-rated by an English press and public desperate to think they're still a force on the world stage.

That's not to say he's the most over-rated English player going around - ahead of him on that list are the likes of Lampard, Ashley Cole, Lennon. I'd say he's in a similar bracket to Terry and Rooney - talented yes, world beater no...

And as for Platt, what can I say, I loved the way he played, not in Scholes' class but close - again, in my opinion

Steven Gerrard is the most gifted midfield player in the world bar none.  Was just 'avin a larf about the RL.