Motivation Is The Name Of The Game - Luke Edwards

Rebellious

http://www.lukewhostalking.co.uk/2007/04/motivation_is_the_name_of_the.html

I thought this was quite a good read.

I see Glenn Roeder has delivered (another) dressing room dressing down after the 2-1 defeat and, according to well-placed sources, has apparently “spoken the strongest words of his time as manager.”

Sadly, it doesn’t look as though Roeder’s rants have much of an effect on the pampered “stars” of the Newcastle dressing room. Didn’t he do the same after the Alkmaar defeat? How about the equally meek showings at Fulham, Wigan and Charlton, I’m sure United’s manager read the riot act then as well but still we get the same old dross.

He has already made Titus Bramble the scapegoat for the Alkmaar defeat, but how long before he needs to single someone else out in the blame game? As for the absence of Bramble, the defence hasn’t done any better without him has it, but it still looks like it’s bye bye Titus.

I wonder which four players Roeder was talking about when he said they weren’t trying hard enough at Fratton Park? Charles N’Zogbia?, Emre perhaps, possibly Damien Duff, although he went off injured so probably not? Stephen Carr? But what about Obafemi Martins?

Look, please don’t think I don’t like Martins as a player because I do. He has got 17 goals this season and, by all accounts, was the difference between the two sides when Newcastle beat Sheffield United a week ago. He has scored some vital goals at vital times and, without him, I don’t think it’s stretching the imagination to say Newcastle would have been relegated this season.

But I’ve also seen the Nigerian play in too many games when, in my opinion, he appears to be going through the motions and that needs to change if he is going to be a long term success at Newcastle.

He was woeful in Alkmaar when he was supposed to be the star man and the Dutch were terrified of him and, generally speaking, he does not play as well away from home as he does at St James’s Park when there are 52,000 people watching.

He will not be the first players to suffer away day lethargy - there are some who say the same thing about Nolberto Solano - but Newcastle and Roeder need him to do more. After all, he’s Roeder’s star signing and if the manager can’t motivate him he’s in trouble.

But, it was while I was reading Roeder’s post-match comments over the weekend in my post-holiday glow, that it occurred to me that motivation is ultimately Roeder’s responsibility.

He is right in some respects, players should be self-motivated given the money they earn and the clubs they represent, but the best managers manage to motivate every player, even the difficult ones with an attitude problem, or the lazy ones who are prone to going missing in difficult games. For me, forget tactics, it’s a manager’s inspirational qualities that really make the difference, especially when it comes to man management, because they bring out the best in every player.

Look at Sir Bobby Robson’s handling of Laurent Robert and Craig Bellamy at Newcastle, or the way he treated Romario at PSV. His relationship was never easy with any of them but, more often than not, they played well for him. Look at Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho and the egos they have under them. In fact, look at Roy Keane’s motivational qualities at Sunderland.

Then compare that to the way Roeder has handled Albert Luque, a player whose approach to the game can easily be compared to Robert’s.

At the moment, Newcastle’s players are not playing well enough for the club, the supporters or its manager, but it is the latter who bares the burden most heavily on his shoulders.

He has the remainder of the season to prove he can inspire in difficult circumstances and that means the games against Blackburn Rovers, Reading and Watford, not a glamour clash with Chelsea when everyone, to use football speak, will “be up for it.”

Guest Invicta_Toon

It's all Roeder's fault. On now account should we expect professional players to up their game for the biggest game of the season. Perfectly acceptable if they want to exercise their personal huffs, rather than do their best for the club

Guest johnson293

It's all Roeder's fault. On now account should we expect professional players to up their game for the biggest game of the season. Perfectly acceptable if they want to exercise their personal huffs, rather than do their best for the club

Is that you Glenn????

Guest Invicta_Toon

Is that you Glenn????

are you for fucking real? are you honestly happy about the AZ exit and are happy to purely blame roeder? how many more managers shall we try out until the team realise they are professional footballers?

Is that you Glenn????

are you for f****** real? are you honestly happy about the AZ exit and are happy to purely blame roeder? how many more managers shall we try out until the team realise they are professional footballers?

Until we find out someone who is actually good

Guest Invicta_Toon

Is that you Glenn????

are you for f****** real? are you honestly happy about the AZ exit and are happy to purely blame roeder? how many more managers shall we try out until the team realise they are professional footballers?

Until we find out someone who is actually good

I won't be holding my breath tbh

Guest Invicta_Toon

Roeder's tactics away from home being in no way shape or form to blame for the Alkmaar defeat of course.

Roeder's tactics demotivated the players? Ridiculous. Apart from the fact I can probably understand how Bramble would always be happier if we were intending to go hell for leather

Roeder's tactics away from home being in no way shape or form to blame for the Alkmaar defeat of course.

Roeder's tactics demotivated the players?

Where did I say that?

Until recently, I've felt that the players had been playing for Roeder, but since the Alkmaar defeat I've been a bit uneasy. I don't think Bramble deserves to be publicly made a scapegoat, which is what I think it will look like to the rest of the players.

All these dark mutterings about a clearout won't necessarily have a motivating effect. It looks like he's lost his composure a bit.

Until recently, I've felt that the players had been playing for Roeder, but since the Alkmaar defeat I've been a bit uneasy. I don't think Bramble deserves to be publicly made a scapegoat, which is what I think it will look like to the rest of the players.

All these dark mutterings about a clearout won't necessarily have a motivating effect. It looks like he's lost his composure a bit.

As much as certian people will deny it, this cannot be disputed. The bloke seems to have lost his head/bottle and is blaming everything and everyone around him instead of shouldering the majority of the blame in order to get the best out of what he has until the end of the season. While the players aren't innocent at all, there are more negatives to positives in telling all and sundry that they're letting the club down/blaming them for defeats. How hard would it have been to bottle in the frustration a bit, stay positive and to keep the players motivated before getting shot of the cunts in the summer for more money than we'll undoubtedly get now?

By making scapegoats and pointing the finger he'll be massively reducing the potential income we could garner from player sales as people like N'Zogbia are now publicly known as being "on the brink" and perhaps out of his plans, instead  of being a "hot prospect" who we will will "not sell" because he's the "future of this club". While it could save Roeder a little in the eyes of the ignorant who will probably be glad to see people "like" Charlie sold, it's going to have nothing but a detrimental effect on morale, performances and potential fundraising in the summer.

Also doesn't change the fact that Glenn continues to contradict himself in the local media... it can't have been that long ago that people like Bramble, Moore and N'Zogbia were getting praised by the Gaffer (Zog especially) - and now he's suddenly "realised" that two of them aren't good enough and one is no longer the "future of this club"? Did he not know Charlie was a "moody cunt" (apparently) a few months ago?

It's self-preservation at this stage, from what I can see. Can't exactly blame him for it, but he's doing more harm than good unfortunately.

Guest Invicta_Toon

As much as certian people will deny it, this cannot be disputed. The bloke seems to have lost his head/bottle and is blaming everything and everyone around him instead of shouldering the majority of the blame in order to get the best out of what he has until the end of the season. While the players aren't innocent at all, there are more negatives to positives in telling all and sundry that they're letting the club down/blaming them for defeats. How hard would it have been to bottle in the frustration a bit, stay positive and to keep the players motivated before getting shot of the cunts in the summer for more money than we'll undoubtedly get now?

By making scapegoats and pointing the finger he'll be massively reducing the potential income we could garner from player sales as people like N'Zogbia are now publicly known as being "on the brink" and perhaps out of his plans, instead  of being a "hot prospect" who we will will "not sell" because he's the "future of this club". While it could save Roeder a little in the eyes of the ignorant who will probably be glad to see people "like" Charlie sold, it's going to have nothing but a detrimental effect on morale, performances and potential fundraising in the summer.

Also doesn't change the fact that Glenn continues to contradict himself in the local media... it can't have been that long ago that people like Bramble, Moore and N'Zogbia were getting praised by the Gaffer (Zog especially) - and now he's suddenly "realised" that two of them aren't good enough and one is no longer the "future of this club"? Did he not know Charlie was a "moody cunt" (apparently) a few months ago?

It's self-preservation at this stage, from what I can see. Can't exactly blame him for it, but he's doing more harm than good unfortunately.

I don't think you know what the fuck you want Roeder to do

he's damned whatever he tries, honesty, realism, motivation, press management whatever, so he's basically decided to fuck everyone, and quite right too. It's none of your cunt's jobs on the line if what you claim should be happening doen't come off

He's the only NUFC manager to tell it how it is for for once. I for one was fed up of Souness's continual defences of plain shite, and now the cunt is being held up as the model fucking manager. How fucking ludicrous can you get?

He's damned by his shit results tbh. And telling it like it is? Don't make me laugh, he contradicts himself nearly every time he opens his mouth.

Nobody has belief in GR, certainly not the fans, and i'm adamant he's also lost the dressing room now bar a couple of players.

Who would want to play for him, why on earth would you give this man your heart and soul?  :idiot2:

Guest Invicta_Toon

He's damned by his shit results tbh. And telling it like it is? Don't make me laugh, he contradicts himself nearly every time he opens his mouth.

we're 11th, same as last year, having spent what, £15m? and had to endure another interjoko campaign due to past failures. Bigger managers than Roeder produced much worse return for much more money.

we're 11th, same as last year, having spent what, £15m? and had to endure another interjoko campaign due to past failures. Bigger managers than Roeder produced much worse return for much more money.

Completely ignoring the point I made I notice. Like who btw?

Guest Invicta_Toon

Like who?

Souness, Dalglish, Gullit

Guest Invicta_Toon

and sacking every manager for shit results has got us SO far hasn't it

Guest johnson293

He's damned by his s*** results tbh. And telling it like it is? Don't make me laugh, he contradicts himself nearly every time he opens his mouth.

So he spent £15m and we are no better???

How much did Redknapp spend at Portsmouth in the summer, and how many new players did he manage to bring in, and how much have they improved since last season???

There are arguably lesser managers, working at arguably smaller clubs with smaller squads, with lower gates and finances, doing much better than us. And some of this still isn't down to Roeder???

Like who?

You could argue they all did better in different ways (cups etc.), but it's a classic diversionary tactic by you anyway. Your point was Roeder tells it like it is, my point was he talks self-contradictory shite. Not surprised you tried changing the subject tbh.

and sacking every manager for shit results has got us SO far hasn't it

Roeder doesn't tell it like it is. To suggest he does is a joke. Stop trying to change the subject.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Like who?

You could argue they all did better in different ways (cups etc.), but it's a classic diversionary tactic by you anyway. Your point was Roeder tells it like it is, my point was he talks self-contradictory shite. Not surprised you tried changing the subject tbh.

your hypocrisy know no bounds tbh

Guest Invicta_Toon

He's damned by his s*** results tbh. And telling it like it is? Don't make me laugh, he contradicts himself nearly every time he opens his mouth.

So he spent £15m and we are no better???

How much did Redknapp spend at Portsmouth in the summer, and how many new players did he manage to bring in, and how much have they improved since last season???

There are arguably lesser managers, working at arguably smaller clubs with smaller squads, with lower gates and finances, doing much better than us. And some of this still isn't down to Roeder???

this might have been relevant if Redknapp would have ever touched this job with a barge-pole

Like who?

your hypocrisy know no bounds tbh

More diversionary tactics tbh.