Homesick Baptista blames it on the weather

Delima

Times Online

1. Wonder if Newcastle United are considered a club up north? Can't recall we could do such quality defending. Scott Parker does this but he is slated by everyone for doing this.

2. Honestly though, England is far far far from being a rainy country. WHen is the last time Newcastle rain???

3. That's why England always produce quality centre backs.

Homesick Baptista blames it on the weather

Gary Jacob

It probably sums up Júlio Baptista that he has looked best against second-string players in the Carling Cup, and the chances of Arsenal wanting to sign him permanently appear to have receded after his criticism of life in England.

The Brazil midfield player has complained about the weather and the style of football in the Barclays Premiership, echoing the comments of José Antonio Reyes, who was part of a loan deal with Real Madrid involving Baptista last summer.

Baptista criticised the pace of the game, which he claims does not allow him to express his skills. “The teams from the north of England are terrible,” he said. “When we play them I have counted their centre backs booting up to 30 long balls upfield per game. The weather over here is killing me. We’ll get one day of sunshine for every 30 days of rain, and it is driving me to despair.

“My girlfriend and my mother are frightened about not seeing the sun in England. They miss being in Madrid. Premiership football is very hard. I am Brazilian and I enjoy playing the ball, making clever touches and taking bicycle kicks. Arsãne Wenger does not forbid me from doing them, but the game is so fast I don’t even have time to think about them.

“The moment you stop to think, someone has taken the ball off you and knocked you to the ground. Over here they value a corner kick more than a fancy flick. I am lucky to be with Arsenal, as they are a team that likes to play proper football.”

Baptista has started only eight Premiership matches for Arsenal this season, often appearing clumsy and careless. He has three years left on his contract at Real.

“I could stay at Arsenal, but right now I can’t see myself anywhere for definite,” he said. “But it’s clear in my mind that I would tackle my second chance with Real with far more strength and maturity than I did in my first spell.”

Does my head in the way most people just go for the stereotypes and have a go at England for the rain. Then if we happen to be there and it isn't raining, it's a bloody miracle somehow. Idiot french pricks.

Went on a trip around the south of England with two mates earlier this year and they were always having a go about the weather... and surely enough the only rain we had over the two weeks was the one night we stopped in Paris.

Anyway he seems like a right softie.

Guest Geordie Gaz

Perhaps he might have more chance to think about these "flicks" if he stopped counting the long balls?

Guest teepee

tbh england is a rainy country - especially for a foreigner. And before some twat comes up with a rain-statistic from wikipedia or something - i know it rains a lot harder in brazil at times, but the drizzle that you get (like we get in denmark) is something quite different for them!

that said - whining cunt!

Guest smoggeordie

Didn't Krul say a couple of weeks ago how he never wants to leave because it's a lot sunnier than he thought it would be? :lol:

Didn't Krul say a couple of weeks ago how he never wants to leave because it's a lot sunnier than he thought it would be? :lol:

I think he said that he wouldn't leave if the weather stayed like this (must have been a sunny day), but it was tongue in cheek obviously.

Anyhoo Newcastle is the second driest city in the country rain wise so there you go. :D

Can't defend us on the long ball comment though tbf.

“My girlfriend and my mother are frightened about not seeing the sun in England. They miss being in Madrid. Premiership football is very hard. I am Brazilian and I enjoy playing the ball, making clever touches and taking bicycle kicks. Arsãne Wenger does not forbid me from doing them, but the game is so fast I don’t even have time to think about them.

diddums

Guest donige

absolute w*****

obviously the weather isnt going to better than spain is it!

i mean he sees himself being at arsenal next season but what reason have arsenal got for signing him!

i have seen championship players play a better quality of football than he has this season to be honest.

So, apparently, you're only playing proper football if you're standing around waiting for your opponent to make a fancy flick or a bicycle kick, rather than attempting to take the ball from them?

I guess that's why England has three clubs in the Champions League semi-final this year. You guys aren't playing proper football, so it's not fair for the other countries that are.  O0

So, apparently, you're only playing proper football if you're standing around waiting for your opponent to make a fancy flick or a bicycle kick, rather than attempting to take the ball from them?

aye, quite pathetic.

And, "taking bicycle kicks" :lol: