Roeder Vs Souness

Rebellious

Looking at Roeders full season in charge and comparing it to Souness`s full season in charge.  Both played these with "other managers squads" .

Premiership Points

Roeder         41 Points       3 Games left.  With Souness Team   1 against Chelsea, he could end up with less points

Souness      44 Points                             With Bobbys Team

I feel Souness did the better job as he inherited on paper the worst squad compared to what Roeder inherited and has used.  Both had massive injury problems all season and both did similar in the cups.

Souness`s Team 04/05                                 Roeders Team 06/07

- Jermaine Jenas                                               - Scott Parker

- Alan Shearer                                                   - Obafemi Martins

- Stephen Carr                                                  - Stephen Carr

- Lee Bowyer           - Damien Duff

- Laurent Robert                                               - Albert Luque

- Andrew O'Brien                                               - Oguchi Onyewu

- Titus Bramble          - Titus Bramble

- Kieron Dyer                                                     - Kieron Dyer

- Aaron Hughes                                                 - Paul Huntington

- Craig Bellamy                                                  - Micheal Owen

- Shola Ameobi                                                 - Shola Ameobi

- Olivier Bernard                                                - Olivier Bernard              

- Patrick Kluivert                                                - Giuseppe Rossi

- Nicky Butt                                                        - Nicky Butt

- Robbie Elliott                                                   - David Edgar

- Jean Alain Boumsong                                       - Craig Moore

- James Milner                                                    - James Milner

- Steven Taylor                                                   - Steven Taylor

- Amady Faye                                                      - Belozoglu Emre

- Celestine Babayaro                                           - Celestine Babayaro

- Darren Ambrose                                               - Nolberto Solano  

- Charles N'Zogbia                                             - Charles N'Zogbia  

- Ronny Johnsen                                                - James Troisi

- Peter Ramage                                                 - Peter Ramage

- Martin Brittain                                                 - Alan O'Brien

- Michael Chopra                                               - Antoine Sibierski

- Lewis Guy                                                       - Andrew Carroll

- Jamie McClen                                                 - Matthew Pattison

So do you feel Roeder has the better squad on paper ? Should he have more points than Souness managed ? Due you feel he will get the 3 points to draw level with Souness ?

Edit - Not sure why those 2 names appear out of line. Looks fine in preview.

Guest Darth Toon

Ah yes, but you forget that Souness didn't have to cope with the worst injury crisis in the history of any team sport, anywhere, ever.  :(

Souness inherited a squad that had finished 6th, but it was in decline and needed some work

Roeder inherited a side at ~14th, that was in more decline and needed work.

Souness destroyed something while trying to fix it, Roeder just hasn't changed anything. History will view Roeder as plain and incompetent, Souness as evil and incompetent

How can you argue the Roeder inherited the better squad? Souness had Bellamy, Shearer, Kluivert, Dyer and Robert who at the time were all very talented players and had CL potential. 

Not to mention this season is totally incomaprible due to the fact we have had the worst injury crisis in Premiership history.

Souness inherited a squad that had finished 6th, but it was in decline and needed some work

Souness destroyed something while trying to fix it, Roeder just hasn't changed anything. History will view Roeder as plain and incompetent, Souness as evil and incompetent

Not to mention the spectacular amount of money that Souness wasted.

I'm no fan of Roeder (McFaul II) but to say he's as bad as Souness is completely wrong.

Souness had injury problems too. Maybe the most he had out was about 8 whereas Roeder has had about 11 out at its worst.  I agree Souness killed a good squad and that Roeder has steadied things. My point is should Roeder be doing better.

As for the comments about Souness having Shearer, come on he was in is last year but Roeder has Martins who has probably scored more goals this season than Shearer and Bellamy did combined that year.

They both had Dyer thoses 2 seasons qouted. He scored 6 goals both those seasons. He only played 4 more games for Souness than he has for Roeder so far

Not to mention the spectacular amount of money that Souness wasted.

I'm no fan of Roeder (McFaul II) but to say he's as bad as Souness is completely wrong.

The season I qouted for Souness was before he wasted all the money. I couldn`t use that season as Roeder took over part way through.

Guest nyscooby

Injury crisis, RUBBISH.

The PLC's lack of desire to get to the CL was the reason we ended up with no front men.

We sold or retired our front end, DO NOT call shola a EPL striker..

It was a calculated risk by the management, not a crisis.

The leagues are full of players and every chance we had we bought no one, even as a fail safe.

Fowler

Cole

Viduka

Kuyt

any of them were up for grabs, not to mention defenders......

The managers are all sh1te, but the owner is the man who has dug our hole.

Souness had injury problems too. Maybe the most he had out was about 8 whereas Roeder has had about 11 out at its worst.  I agree Souness killed a good squad and that Roeder has steadied things. My point is should Roeder be doing better.

As for the comments about Souness having Shearer, come on he was in is last year but Roeder has Martins who has probably scored more goals this season than Shearer and Bellamy did combined that year.

They both had Dyer thoses 2 seasons qouted. He scored 6 goals both those seasons. He only played 4 more games for Souness than he has for Roeder so far

No, he didn't. Not genuine first team player.s.

And even when he DID have some out, they were often shite players he has failed to replace despite this being an absolute imperative.

Guest stormrider

the common link between those to is Fat Fred, tbh.

the performance of those 2 managers cannot be studied aside with no mention to the FF factor.

bottom line is that neither squad stands out as much better than the other

facts are that neither manager has been able to, or had the balls to, rip our fitness/medical & training schedules to pieces and start again by employing professional people who can make a difference to our obvious problems

neither manager has either the tactical or, more importantly the motivational capacity to get the best out of the players - both squads, regardless of the injuries suffered, have/had the quality to do better than they did or are currently doing

Guest NIToon

You can't talk about injuries, Roeder would never use injuries as an excuse ???

Souness had more backing financially than I believe Roeder has had but there have been opportunities for Roeder to improve the squad.  Souness just had the balls to spend money, Roeder think it's his own.

Both incompetent but if you look at Souness' history it takes a long time for any club he has managed to come back from the depths he drags them to.

Roeder has had the opportunity to improve the squad but has so far failed miserably.  The question is who will inherit Roeder's squad next season when he gets the boot??

I think the thing is. We knew how utterly s*** we were under Souness, and it was all going to come to an end sooner or later. With Roeder, who i can't f****** abide on a level higher than Souness, who knows? Feels as if he's going to be here forever, aslong as we are above relegation and not too far off the top half, he's going to be promising changes that won't come, and El fat one is going to back it up. Apathy is worse than hopelessness!

Guest teepee

souness took a decent squad - wasted tons of money on it - played the worst football i've seen for years - and spiralled downwards.

roeder steadied the ship - spent very little - still plays some poor football though.

but there is no doubt what so ever that souness was much much worse that glen!

roeder steadied the ship by dropping back to hovering around Souness' horrific points total - spent more than teams higher in the table without plugging the obvious gaps in the squad - still plays some fucking dreadful football though.

Fixed that for you. :cheesy:

roeder steadied the ship by dropping back to hovering around Souness' horrific points total - spent more than teams higher in the table without plugging the obvious gaps in the squad - still plays some fucking dreadful football though.

Fixed that for you. :cheesy:

Thats the worrying thing because nobody could get a team playing worse football on the eye than Souness people are thinking Roeder is better. The points total will be 6 higher for Roeder if we win against Chelsea and the other 2. Remember SBR lost a few of Souness`s games that season. Roeder has got this miserable total all on his own. If we lose to Chelsea and draw the other 2 we will be a point below souness season.  We can talk about quality differences between the football on the pitch ( which hasn`t been that much better ) but right now I would rather be in Evertons or Boltons league posistion playing kack football.

Guest teepee

Here's one teepee. Do you think if Roeder had came in straight after Robson, with £40m to spend he'd have taken us much further than Souness? I seriously doubt it.

yes - i honestly think he would have performed better. but i do not believe he will ever make us challenge for the top 4!

When you see the general statistics Roeder is in the same position where Souness was.They won almost the same amount of points,Roeder can even be worse then Souness.And ultimately thats what counts at the end of the day.Our final position in the league table.

Another comparison about the 2 managers is that Souness managed to reach the quarter-final of the UEFA Cup where with some luck we could have had reach the semis.Also he reached the semi final of the FA Cup.

Thats something which Roeder didnt manage to achieve.

I also think that Souness inherited the better squad and then ruined it.

But i also believe that if this summer Shepherd give alot of money to Roeder for transfers even then we will be average team playing average football and i doubt that we will finish higher then 7-9 place.

Roeder is just the same shit as Souness when it comes to tactics,training methods,handling players,motivation skills,transfer abbilities etc. etc.