Alan Oliver - Sidwell is apparently in the bag

Guest hindu times

Guest hindu times

"United are already taking steps to rectify this. Despite opposition from Manchester City, Everton, Middlesbrough and even Chelsea, United are favourites to sign Reading midfielder Steve Sidwell and I believe that the carrot-topped midfielder will end up at St James' Park.

Some fans will say that United are signing Sidwell because he will cost nowt and that's fair comment.

However, there is talk in the city of American interest in United - but unless it materialises, there is no way Shepherd can compete with the top four of Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, and Arsenal, three of whom just happened to have been taken over.

Glenn Roeder is the first United manager not to have had money thrown at him by Shepherd, and if the chairman truly believes that the former skipper is the right man for the job, even though some fans remain unconvinced, then he owes it to him to change all this in the next couple of months.

With Sidwell apparently in the bag and Roeder happy enough with a strike force of Michael Owen, Oba Martins, Shola Ameobi, Antoine Sibierski and young Andy Carroll, and ecstatic to have Shay Given and Steve Harper as his keepers, it's defenders that United desperately need. A left-back is the priority and not far behind is the need for two central defenders."

Sidwell may not be the perfect player for us, but you can't argue with strenthening the squad like that for no initial outlay. It may turn out he works well with either Parker or Emre - what sort of CM does he play alongside at Reading?

ok, remind me - he is leaving Reading why?

the answer to this question makes me rather apprehensive.

cause they have tried their best to get him to sign a contract and he wouldnt as he wants to move on. Simple really if he was being let go for no reason, or being sold off then i would join you

cause they have tried their best to get him to sign a contract and he wouldnt as he wants to move on. Simple really if he was being let go for no reason, or being sold off then i would join you

I think Dan is implying he is a mercenary bastard

basically, aye. He should fit right in.

I think Dan is implying he is a mercenary b******

so every player who doesnt stick by the club his whole carear is a mercenary- I cant be bothered as I'm at work to look into this but how many times has sidwell moved and for what sort of money?

Perhaps this was a concern when Duff chose us over an on the up Tottenham, but now the only reason a player would want to come to Newcastle from Reading is money?!

Well to be fair he has a point. He was offered £25,000, the best the wage structure at Reading can allow, and turned it down for more money elsewhere primarily. Don't have much of a problem with that really but I'm not going to kid mysely that he is joining for fame and footballing reasons.

If the players see outs his contract he is a mercenary if he asks for a transfer before the contract is up he is a mercenary.

IMO he has honoured his contract, would be happy to see him here, a decent play that won't cost much as an overall package!

Sidwell may not be the perfect player for us, but you can't argue with strenthening the squad like that for no initial outlay. It may turn out he works well with either Parker or Emre - what sort of CM does he play alongside at Reading?

Plays alongside James Harper (similar sort of player) or Gunnarsson who is a more defensive player. Sidwell to me is basically just a poorer version of Scott Parker but adds strength/depth to the squad i suppose and isnt costing anything so im not too fussed about him moving here.

seems to me he's been pretty much honest about his intentions to leave at the end of his contract

never heard any complaints from either fans or manager regarding his attitude or performances (wish we could say the same) so calling him a mercenary is out of order in my opinion regardless of who he ends up joining

zenden, ziege, ferdinand etc... these people are mercenaries

Worst kept secret in football.

Word!

My only reservation about Sidwell is that he and Harper have played together in the centre of MF since they were about 9 with the scum kids.  They know each other's game back to front and inside out and maybe 2 less than brilliant midfielders know each other so well they make a formidable MF partnership.

There's no doubt that Sidwell is far better than Harper, but it's probably also fair to say that Sidwell looks a lot better when Harper is playing rather than when Harper isn't.

The latest word on the grapevine is that Emerton is in the bag as well.

Better than what you've got.

Would he be a Bosman?

That was a gag wasn't it relating to Oliver's totally wrong prediction from a few years ago.