02/03 - Could we have won the league?

Karjala

Just been watchin some videos on 'another site', jeeez we were good in that 02/03 season. Brings back some memories, i basically watched every game of that season in a bar in Finland, and altho noone really mentioned us, i always thought quietly we could win the league.

The turning game was Arsenal 1-1 at SJP, where Robert put us back on terms before that dirty tw8t Bergkamp got Robert purposely sent off, if he hadnt have been, i think we would have went on to win that game. Obviously the 6-2 vs manure was the nail in the coffin, such as shame esp after jeen-arse put us 1-0 up.

Guest Bramble OG

Didn't Fergie say If we had beaten Arsenal, we'd of won the leauge?

Something like that...Can remember at Everton away at 1-1 thinking if we win this we could just go on and win the league - we lost 2-1 and my deluded thoughts went.

Guest smoggeordie

Didn't Fergie say If we had beaten Arsenal, we'd of won the leauge?

Something like that...Can remember at Everton away at 1-1 thinking if we win this we could just go on and win the league - we lost 2-1 and my deluded thoughts went.

He was referring to the 01/02 season, as it was at a dinner for Bobby Robson held half way through the 02/03 season, clips of it are on Flying High.

Bold statement, and i can imagine many will disagree, but i believe we would have eventually won the league under Bobby. He was building a fantastic team.

If not the league, then definitely a trophy.

Guest smoggeordie

Bold statement, and i can imagine many will disagree, but i believe we would have eventually won the league under Bobby. He was building a fantastic team.

If not the league, then definitely a trophy.

A ten or twenty years younger Bobby, aye, maybe, but not at the age he was.

It's still frightening to think what we could have achieved if he had taken over from KK.

Our team was actually better in 01-02 than 02-03 eventhough we finished 3rd. We had more points when we finished 4th more goals, more away wins and most importantly more games where we came from behind to win.

And yes it was 01-02 that Fergie said we would have probably won had Bellamy not been injured, the stars were in perfect alignment up until that point.

How bleak is the future if we have reminisce fondly about seasons from less than a decade ago?

So fucking true.

:'(

It really wasn't that long ago at all - I can't describe how much our rapid downward spiral hurts me.

Our team was actually better in 01-02 than 02-03 eventhough we finished 3rd. We had more points when we finished 4th more goals, more away wins and most importantly more games where we came from behind to win.

People should compare them two High Finishes under Sir Bobby Robson with Kevin Keegan teams.

Because when you look at it Sir Bobby Robson got 71 points in the High Finishes which is MORE points then when we finished 2nd the second time and Joint points with the famous Kevin Keegan 2nd place team that "should of won the title".

How this Club has gone backwards since those days just a few years back due to Freddy Shepherd bizarre and ill timed sacking of Sir Bobby Robson just 14 days into a Season is shameful.

Also the way the Club let go so easily the two people Kevin Keegan and Sir Bobby Robson that did so much for this club is very disapointing.

Both Kevin Keegan and Sir Bobby Robson should of stayed longer and not let go by the board in the matter both were.

There was no stopping Keegan, tbh. He left because he couldn't face getting sacked, and he knew that he wasn't going to take Newcastle any further than he was.

But the Sir Bobby sacking, you're dead right. Absolute madness in my opinion, and i'll never have any other view but that. It was just sheer stupidity. We were so close to a trophy as far as i am concerned - he was building what was going to be a superb team.

Guest smoggeordie

There was no stopping Keegan, tbh. He left because he couldn't face getting sacked, and he knew that he wasn't going to take Newcastle any further than he was.

But the Sir Bobby sacking, you're dead right. Absolute madness in my opinion, and i'll never have any other view but that. It was just sheer stupidity. We were so close to a trophy as far as i am concerned - he was building what was going to be a superb team.

No offence, but that post just typifies someone who doesn't watch/go to the matches.

The season prior to his sacking (when we came 5th) was a shadow of the previous 2, long ball football, looking for Shearer to flick it on, Bellamy was out injured for a lot of the season IIRC and we became quite efficient at beating poor sides at home but we kept throwing away late points away (Pompey, Blackburn, Birmingham spring to mind, probably others) and we had the occassional poor home result. Suppose you could blame our European run to the semis as it gave us a bit of a fixture pile up but the quality of football had generally decreased

No offence, but that post just typifies someone who doesn't watch/go to the matches.

You're trying to get me back. ;)

I saw plenty of games under Bobby's reign. The previous season we weren't particularly great, but we hadn't improved the squad. The summer of 04/05 we brought in five players. I'd have loved to have seen those five play under Bobby tbh, because they were all good signings. Even Carr was a decent enough signing at £2m.

But there was Milner and N'Zogbia who he brought in, aswell as your Ambroses and Bellamys, Jenas, Dyer. He'd brought the average age of the squad back down, aswell as holding onto the likes of Given and Shearer, and Robert aswell, more experienced heads. I believe that it was a squad that was going to develop, i reckon it would have turned into something really good.

Guest smoggeordie

You're trying to get me back. ;)

I saw plenty of games under Bobby's reign. The previous season we weren't particularly great, but we hadn't improved the squad. The summer of 04/05 we brought in five players. I'd have loved to have seen those five play under Bobby tbh, because they were all good signings. Even Carr was a decent enough signing at £2m.

But there was Milner and N'Zogbia who he brought in, aswell as your Ambroses and Bellamys, Jenas, Dyer. He'd brought the average age of the squad back down, aswell as holding onto the likes of Given and Shearer, and Robert aswell, more experienced heads. I believe that it was a squad that was going to develop, i reckon it would have turned into something really good.

Bobby had lost the dressing room. No matter how much natural ability the players had, it was obvious they weren't going to perform for him anymore, and it had been obvious for about a year beforehand. In fact, i'd go as far as to say the last few games of 02-03 was where it started. A 1-1 draw with villa, scarping a 1-0 vs 10 man brum and a 2-2 with West Brom set the trend, and following the Partizan defeat, we never looked the same. I think Bobby was a cracking manager, but it was time to go.

I don't think many will disagree that the timing of the sacking was wrong, I mean why give him money and then sack him. It was just pointless. It's fairly well documented that Bobby had lost the confidence of some players (Dyer/Boro incident springs to mind) and after the summer where Speed was sold behind Bobby's back the writing was on the wall. It was shambolic of FS to treat Bobby like that after what he'd done, all supposedly because of a poor performance in the UEFA semis. A victim of his own success?

No offence, but that post just typifies someone who doesn't go into the dressing rooms.

;)

There was a spat with Dyer. Who was just a cunt anyway. How do you know he'd lost the dressing room?

Guest smoggeordie

No offence, but that post just typifies someone who doesn't go into the dressing rooms.

;)

There was a spat with Dyer. Who was just a c*** anyway. How do you know he'd lost the dressing room?

Because they weren't playing for him on the pitch.

Guest smoggeordie

I don't think many will disagree that the timing of the sacking was wrong, I mean why give him money and then sack him. It was just pointless. It's fairly well documented that Bobby had lost the confidence of some players (Dyer/Boro incident springs to mind) and after the summer where Speed was sold behind Bobby's back the writing was on the wall. It was shambolic of FS to treat Bobby like that after what he'd done, all supposedly because of a poor performance in the UEFA semis. A victim of his own success?

They didn't give him real money though. Carr - 2m, Butt - virtually nowt Kluivert - virtually nowt. Milner - a few mill. A whole summers transfers for less than we paid for martins