Bramble back for Chelsea

Rich

Story

Roeder turns back to Titus

Apr 20 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Titus Bramble is in line for an unexpected recall to the Newcastle United side for Sunday's game with Chelsea at St James' Park..

And if he does play, the United defender has been challenged by Glenn Roeder to turn in his usual sterling performance against the men from West London.

Bramble has been out in the cold since the UEFA Cup defeat by AZ Alkmaar last month, and with his contract up at the end of the season and no offer of a new one on the table, he had every right to wonder if he had played his last game in a black-and-white shirt.

But with Peter Ramage not match fit, Craig Moore letting in the water at Portsmouth last Saturday and Oguchi Onyewu picking up a knock at Fratton Park, the way would seem clear for the former England Under-21 international.

All Roeder would say today was: "No decision has been made on the future of Titus Bramble.

"He was impressive for our reserves when they beat Middlesbrough 5-1 on Tuesday night and he is in the frame for Sunday.

"And if he does play I hope he comes up with a good game against one of his favourite teams.

"I remember sitting in the St James' stands two seasons ago when I was working for the FA, and saw United play out a draw with Chelsea.

"The two Newcastle players who impressed me the most that day were Titus and James Milner.

"And, of course, I was in the dugout 12 months ago when Titus got the goal which beat Chelsea and took us into the InterToto Cup."

Shay Given is still not ready to return and Steve Harper (right) will again deputise for the Irishman against Chelsea.

And Harper told me today: "This is a big, big game and it is nice to be able to have a say in the title race, even though we would prefer to be involved ourselves, of course.

"But we got a fair enough point against Arsenal at St James' Park in our last home match and there is no reason why we should not give Chelsea a good game."

Guest Gemmill

Our back 4 is basically "Spot the mong" anyway, no matter who plays.  One of them will always pitch in with some schoolboy error or other regardless of the permutation.

Our back 4 is basically "Spot the mong" anyway, no matter who plays.  One of them will always pitch in with some schoolboy error or other regardless of the permutation.

My feelings on the matter entirely. Taylor included, at the minute none of the centre-halves instill any confidence whatsoever.

Nice job of motivating Titus in the lead up to this Glenn :thup: Jesus c****** wept.

Surely it is quite motivating, knowing that your future is in the balance and you need to perform.

Or were you just wanting to have another go at Roeder FOR NO REASON.

Whoah, easy on the capitals there BIG BOY.

He more or less made it clear Bramble was surplus to requirements imo and now he's twigged he's no shitter than the rest of them after Portsmouth away so he's back in the picture. If the story turns out to be correct. And I would imagine he's off anyway.

Guest kojak

just feck off Roeder with your contrary, contradictory sound bites you cretin.

you slated our well known incompetent defence following your tactical cock up in Alkmarr making Bramble the scapegoat and then you try and big him up when you think you might have no choice but to play him against the champions citing two performances he's put in against an under strength Chelsea who were going through end of season warm downs. Tremendous man-management.

News for you Glenn, Chelsea aren't coming here for a kickabout with the Premier League trophy already in the bag, there coming here determined to win, trying to retain their title and the thought of them coming up against our already porous defence with added Titus will have Mourhino, Drogba et all sitting at home with hard ons at the thought of the amount chances they'll have to guarantee them the three points.

And as for no-decision being made on Bramble's future yet.. Jesus wept.

If you think Bramble should have been made the scapegoat, would you agree he has been? In which case, that's GREAT © motivation for the lad to come back against Chelsea. And the reserve game is just a cover. It's obvious it's down to Moore being dreadful against Portsmouth that Bramble is back in the fold. Oliver's just trying to justify his mate doing (yet another) major u-turn.

Guest kojak

just feck off Roeder with your contrary, contradictory sound bites you cretin.

you slated our well known incompetent defence following your tactical cock up in Alkmarr making Bramble the scapegoat and then you try and big him up when you think you might have no choice but to play him against the champions citing two performances he's put in against an under strength Chelsea who were going through end of season warm downs. Tremendous man-management.

News for you Glenn, Chelsea aren't coming here for a kickabout with the Premier League trophy already in the bag, there coming here determined to win, trying to retain their title and the thought of them coming up against our already porous defence with added Titus will have Mourhino, Drogba et all sitting at home with hard ons at the thought of the amount chances they'll have to guarantee them the three points.

And as for no-decision being made on Bramble's future yet.. Jesus wept.

So what exactly would you do in that situation?

Don't you think he should have been made the scapegoat? I certainly do.

Now you need him to play, what are you going to say... "Oh er, he's s***, but I'm afraid he's all we've got"?

In my opinion he's handled it well, and worded it as if he's being called back up on merit after performing well for the reserves.

Bramble would never be in any team of mine.

In my opinion Roeder has handled this like the clueless, incompetent, incable manager he's proven to be throughout his managerial career, he's particularly excelling at it at present though.

Bramble has made one reserve appearance by the way (played 71 minutes). Must have been a blinder!

You think making a player a scapegoat is a good motivation technique? :lol: We'll agree to differ then. Seems a bit unfair when Taylor was just as bad against Alkmaar imo. He wasn't the only one either.

Does bring up a sad thought though that article, yes we will be getting rid of Bramble but we will still have the even worse Peter Ramage who will have possibly jumped the pecking order to boot! :(

Guest kojak

Weak managers or desperate managers who've lost their way. Managers staring relegation and unemployment in the face. They are the sort of managers who make scapegoats of their players, usually to cover up there own deficiencies. Regardless of any poor individual performances any credible manager would not single out any of his players in the way Roeder has done with Bramble. (He picked him in the first place, what was he expecting!) Its even more galling when, as pointed out by Alex, there are others just as poor but are clearly immune from any (constructive) criticism.

It seems to me that Roeder is tying himself up in knots with the decisions, quotes and u-turns he's making. He starting to come across more and more like a desperate man, possibly fearing his time is almost up (wishful thinking).

Does bring up a sad thought though that article, yes we will be getting rid of Bramble but we will still have the even worse Peter Ramage who will have possibly jumped the pecking order to boot! :(

Accentuate the positive: Bramble is going.

Eliminate the negative: if Roeder doesn't get a decent centre back, he's gone anyway.

:)

Ramage is even worse then Bramble but its obvious that Roeder has some players which he never criticize no matter what performance they put.

Bramble is the scapegoat because he was doing his mistakes for years now and he did it again in the most important game of our season.

Taylor was no better in that game but when you compare their performance this season i think Taylor was more solid then Titus,also he scored a couple of important goals and he can develop considering his age.

Its time for Titus to go but its really sad as Jon said that players like Ramage are not in the big picture of players who must leave too.Some of his performance were the most shocking i've ever seen in the level of the premiership.I guess because he is local lad he is getting away with this.

Also i agree completely with kojak.Roeder put the blame on his players especially the defence when it was obvious that Roeder was to blame for the performance against AZ.

Roeder has lost it...

Thats the thing, Bramble has been making mistakes for longer because he was seen as good enough a long time ago, Ramage wasn't ever really seen as good enough but got thrown in be because there was no other option, did ok for a few games and earnt a contract.

Ramage is basically Bramble at his worst in every game he plays.

Bramble to have a half decent performance and only cost us one goal, and Roeder will be able to justify giving him a new 3yr contract, and us toon fans have 3 more years of winning nowt to look forward to (tho weve probably got that anyway!)

Ramage is even worse then Bramble but its obvious that Roeder has some players which he never criticize no matter what performance they put.Bramble is the scapegoat because he was doing his mistakes for years now and he did it again in the most important game of our season.

Taylor was no better in that game but when you compare their performance this season i think Taylor was more solid then Titus,also he scored a couple of important goals and he can develop considering his age.

Its time for Titus to go but its really sad as Jon said that players like Ramage are not in the big picture of players who must leave too.Some of his performance were the most shocking i've ever seen in the level of the premiership.I guess because he is local lad he is getting away with this.

Also i agree completely with kojak.Roeder put the blame on his players especially the defence when it was obvious that Roeder was to blame for the performance against AZ.

Roeder has lost it...

Roeder hasn't ever come out and blamed anything on Titus or said that he is the scapegoat (the people on this board and in the press have jumped to those conclusions). He has just left him out. But... he has also left out Ramage, who has been fit for about a month now. So let's be fair... both of them have been made scapegoats.

Including you.