Bundesliga (und Fußball) - 2017/18

samag

Very true. I can occassionally get tickets for Schalke (they're like rocking-horse shit), and then in the Nordkurve, the home terraces. The atmosphere is phenomenal compared to sitting elsewhere in the stadium.

To the right of the Nordkurve, as you look at it, are the Ultras. They never stop waving their flags and making an awful din. There's one guy on a little platform at the front with a megaphone who, as far as I can tell, doesn't see a second of the game as he spends all his time getting the Ultras going.

The sausages are pretty damn good, too, and if you buy 6 pints, you get a free cardboard thingy to carry them in.

One thing the article fails to mention is the incredibly cheesy music German clubs play when they score. Status Quo is a staple and, until recently, Schalke played "I Will Survive".

Also, Dortmund is shite and they're going down. Ha ha ha.

• 1 year later...

Very true. I can occassionally get tickets for Schalke (they're like rocking-horse s***), and then in the Nordkurve, the home terraces. The atmosphere is phenomenal compared to sitting elsewhere in the stadium.

To the right of the Nordkurve, as you look at it, are the Ultras. They never stop waving their flags and making an awful din. There's one guy on a little platform at the front with a megaphone who, as far as I can tell, doesn't see a second of the game as he spends all his time getting the Ultras going.

The sausages are pretty damn good, too, and if you buy 6 pints, you get a free cardboard thingy to carry them in.

One thing the article fails to mention is the incredibly cheesy music German clubs play when they score. Status Quo is a staple and, until recently, Schalke played "I Will Survive".

Also, Dortmund is s**** and they're going down. Ha ha ha.

Isnt their stadium called 'The Opora house'? i.e having the best atmosphere in the country?

reading that article makes me envy German football so much.....and hate English football.

Why do the Germans always have to do things better than everyone else? ffs...

It's very weird at the AOL (HSV) where a bloke comes round and fills up yer glass from a beer pump on his back during the game.  :razz:

Look at Westfalenstadium sudtribune:

http://www.fussballtempel.net/uefa/GER/Westfalenstadion8.jpg

Terraces. The secret to amazing support and atmosphere.

and to quote the article:

In the wake of Hillsborough the German authorities considered following the English model of all-seater stadia but the objections of fans were listened to.

reading that article makes me envy German football so much.....and hate English football.

It's very weird at the AOL (HSV) where a bloke comes round and fills up yer glass from a beer pump on his back during the game.  :razz:

:lol: :dave:

Sounds like American football.... :laugh:

But with better hot dogs.  :pow:

Aye, them Germans do like their sausage...

Steady.  :razz:

Steady.  :razz:

Just how the like it.  :iamatwat:

I go to a few St Pauli games a year. Great laugh.

:thup:

You ever go Ozzie? I can't remember if you're in Berlin...

Yeah, I'm in Berlin. When I first lived here, late '80s, me and a bunch of mates used to go to watch Blau-Weiss 90, who had come out of nowhere, got up to the 1. Bundesliga, and at that point were in the 2. Bundesliga and on their way back to oblivion. Once they'd disappeared, some of my friends started travelling to see St Pauli every weekend, and though I never went with them, it always sounded like a really good club.

In recent years I've been to quite a few Hertha games, but I find I simply don't like the club at all, although I like the bunch of people I sit with. Didn't go to a single game this season or last. I've also tried Tennis Borussia, but I couldn't get into that either, and Turkiyemspor, the Turkish team, who are probably the most interesting of the bunch, but have outgrown their original small stadium, which is near where I live, and now play their matches way across town. Too far to bother with given that I don't know anyone else who is interested. FC Union are kind of off my radar altogether. Football in Berlin is basically crap.

Was planning to come to Hamburg some time in the not-too-distant future to see an old Newcastle friend who now lives in Altona, and we've been talking about going to see St Pauli then.

Yeah, I'm in Berlin. When I first lived here, late '80s, me and a bunch of mates used to go to watch Blau-Weiss 90, who had come out of nowhere, got up to the 1. Bundesliga, and at that point were in the 2. Bundesliga and on their way back to oblivion. Once they'd disappeared, some of my friends started travelling to see St Pauli every weekend, and though I never went with them, it always sounded like a really good club.

In recent years I've been to quite a few Hertha games, but I find I simply don't like the club at all, although I like the bunch of people I sit with. Didn't go to a single game this season or last. I've also tried Tennis Borussia, but I couldn't get into that either, and Turkiyemspor, the Turkish team, who are probably the most interesting of the bunch, but have outgrown their original small stadium, which is near where I live, and now play their matches way across town. Too far to bother with given that I don't know anyone else who is interested. FC Union are kind of off my radar altogether. Football in Berlin is basically crap.

Was planning to come to Hamburg some time in the not-too-distant future to see an old Newcastle friend who now lives in Altona, and we've been talking about going to see St Pauli then.

Let me know when you're around.  :thup:

Let me know when you're around.  :thup:

Will do!

So do I.

I reckon it's one of the best football experiences in the world. I saw some of the DFB Pokal games a couple of years ago - the 4-3 against Hertha was amazing.

Loved the old Clubheim which was attached to the stadium before the new stand was built and seeing the players and management mixing with the fans after the match was a bit special. There was a Newcastle United stained glass (some other clubs too) in one of the windows for some reason ?

A great city and a great club. A couple of Wbeers down the Schanze viertel  - aaah !

O rly?

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2007/08/07/hitler460.jpg

O rly?

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2007/08/07/hitler460.jpg

He's Austrian!.

O rly?

What's your point? The Germans have commited mass murder better than anyone else, tbh.

I really haven't enjoyed the Premiership (or Serie A for that matter) much this year and have been watching alot more of Ligue 1 and Bundesliga, especially the former. Atmosphere in Germany is easily the best out of the leagues I watch. I don't have a vested interest in any teams (mostly just watch for players I like), but it's still a very very interesting league.

Look at Westfalenstadium sudtribune:

http://www.fussballtempel.net/uefa/GER/Westfalenstadion8.jpg

Terraces. The secret to amazing support and atmosphere.

and to quote the article:

In the wake of Hillsborough the German authorities considered following the English model of all-seater stadia but the objections of fans were listened to.

Would be interesting to see if they'd have done that had 96 fans died in a German terraced stadium.

So do I.

I reckon it's one of the best football experiences in the world. I saw some of the DFB Pokal games a couple of years ago - the 4-3 against Hertha was amazing.

Loved the old Clubheim which was attached to the stadium before the new stand was built and seeing the players and management mixing with the fans after the match was a bit special. There was a Newcastle United stained glass (some other clubs too) in one of the windows for some reason ?

A great city and a great club. A couple of Wbeers down the Schanze viertel  - aaah !

Good club. Decent people.