Bundesliga (und Fußball) - 2017/18

samag

Look at Westfalenstadium sudtribune:

Terraces. The secret to amazing support and atmosphere.

and to quote the article:

In the wake of Hillsborough the German authorities considered following the English model of all-seater stadia but the objections of fans were listened to.

Would be interesting to see if they'd have done that had 96 fans died in a German terraced stadium.

:jesuswept:

Guest LucasUnger

reading that article makes me envy German football so much.....and hate English football.

Why do the Germans always have to do things better than everyone else? ffs...

O rly?

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2007/08/07/hitler460.jpg

He's Austrian!.

fuck off. he was born in austria but got the german (don't know the word im lookin for ;) ) 1932 or so.

so he was german! not austrian.

In the wake of Hillsborough the German authorities considered following the English model of all-seater stadia but the objections of fans were listened to.

Would be interesting to see if they'd have done that had 96 fans died in a German terraced stadium.

What? I don't think there's owt wrong with what I've said there? It was easy for the German authorities to listen to the fans because nothing had happened in Germany. Had something like the Hillsborough Disaster happened there, chances are, they'd have went all-seater too.

What? I don't think there's owt wrong with what I've said there? It was easy for the German authorities to listen to the fans because nothing had happened in Germany. Had something like the Hillsborough Disaster happened there, chances are, they'd have went all-seater too.

FC St.Pauli have been mentioned (affectionately) earlier in this thread. They play to sell out crowds almost every game and anyone who has been in the main stand will confirm it's looks like a temporary wooden construction with a terraced area in front of it full of singing, flag waving, beer drinking, tab smoking punks and hippies. It seems to work and not so long ago they were in the top Bundesliga. 

Good story I heard was when they played Bayern Munich the Bayern players refused to get changed there so they went back to their hotel, got changed and returned on the bus and straight on to the pitch !

Across town the AOL arena (Hamburger SV) is state of the art and also plays to always full houses in a terrific atmosphere, so I guess they can have a great atmosphere and safe environment whatever the design and facilities of the stadium.

FC St.Pauli have been mentioned (affectionately) earlier in this thread. They play to sell out crowds almost every game and anyone who has been in the main stand will confirm it's looks like a temporary wooden construction with a terraced area in front of it full of singing, flag waving, beer drinking, tab smoking punks and hippies. It seems to work and not so long ago they were in the top Bundesliga. 

Good story I heard was when they played Bayern Munich the Bayern players refused to get changed there so they went back to their hotel, got changed and returned on the bus and straight on to the pitch !

Across town the AOL arena (Hamburger SV) is state of the art and also plays to always full houses in a terrific atmosphere, so I guess they can have a great atmosphere and safe environment whatever the design and facilities of the stadium.

Weird club St. Pauli, nothing like it overhear. Went to a music festival in Germany over the summer and when speaking to the locals about football they were everyones 2nd team. They even had a mobile shop thing in the festival grounds selling club tops and that. Even weirder considering the festival was in Baden-Wuttenburg which is nowhere near Hamburg

• 1 year later...

reading that article makes me envy German football so much.....and hate English football.

Why do the Germans always have to do things better than everyone else? ffs...

O rly?

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2007/08/07/hitler460.jpg

What's your point? The Germans have commited mass murder better than anyone else, tbh.

I really haven't enjoyed the Premiership (or Serie A for that matter) much this year and have been watching alot more of Ligue 1 and Bundesliga, especially the former. Atmosphere in Germany is easily the best out of the leagues I watch. I don't have a vested interest in any teams (mostly just watch for players I like), but it's still a very very interesting league.

I realise that's old but still. :lol:

Schalke ffs!

Screwing up again....Bayern to win the title on the last day again  :rant:

I think everyone on here should know by now that I'm against Bayern all the time - but I think they deserved the title. The second half of the season (after christmas) they simply were the best team and have played the best football. Also have the best defence.

They deserved the league title - but they will never ever deserve to win the Champions League this season.

• 1 month later...

Hardly surprising, TBH, given German attitudes to nationality. With darker-skinned players, it's not unusual for them to be referred to as German when doing something good, and as Turkish/Nigerian/whatever when fucking up.

• 4 weeks later...

anyone see this  from a few days ago?

Vile piece of journalism from C4...I`m surprised they even allowed this on their site.....

:facepalm: 

---

Germany are dominating the World Cup with one of the most multicultural national teams in the game. But Serafino Ingardia feels Italy shouldn’t follow their example

Germany have by far been the best side in the World Cup and their clear dominance must be something other national teams look up to. The Germans now take on Spain in the semi-finals with a serious chance of lifting the trophy.

Still there is something about this team which leaves me slightly perplexed – I’m talking about its genuine nature. Checking out the squad, it is undeniable that nearly half of the players in the team have as many German links as a plate of spaghetti.

More precisely, I am talking about the following 10 (yes 10!) players: Dennis Aogo (Nigeria), Serdar Tasci and Mesut Ozil (Turkey), Sami Khedira (Tunisia), Cacau (Brazil), Jerome Boateng (Ghana), Mario Gomez (Spain), Marko Marin (Bosnia), Lukas Podolski and Miroslav Klose (Poland).

On one hand, Germany are a great multicultural example of what the EU stands for. On the other though, I feel many Italians wouldn't be happy to have such a squad representing their country at international level. The Germans are not the only ones though, Paraguay for instance had several Argentines at their disposal.

It is all about ethics really. While six of the above mentioned players have every right to play for Germany since they were born in the country, I have doubts regarding those who were born elsewhere and only joined their national team in the hunt for glory – a bit like Mauro Camoranesi did with Italy.

Cacau and Marin both revealed they joined the German side simply because their respective national teams didn't call them up. Same goes for Podolski and Klose, who are key members of this team. You may only wonder how superbly they could have represented Poland in this tournament.

Podolski was unlucky enough to score against his homeland in the past, while his whole family were cheering against him. The FC Koln player was heartbroken and I wish he regretted every single moment spent wearing the German shirt.

Klose went as far as stating that it would be best for him to be defined as European rather than German or Polish. A bit awkward. Doesn't sound very patriotic, does it? I wonder whether in Germany they are bothered about their players not singing the national anthem as we are in the peninsula?

In the last decade, the Germans have clearly looked up to the examples of successful football schools such as the French and the Dutch ones and are making the most of it now. Even their style of football has changed accordingly, looking less and less ‘German’ by the tournament.

Italy may do the same. The first player of this revolution will be Mario Balotelli, who has African origins but was born and grew up in our country. He had every right to chose between the Nazionale or Ghana, the country of his parents, and the boy was pretty determined to pick the Azzurri.

But should Cesare Prandelli and his staff go out looking for the new Oriundi sensations by perhaps scanning the streets of Buenos Aires? I don’t think that’s a great idea and feel it would be a shame if the new manager called up players such as Thiago Motta or Rodrigo Taddei too.

We do not need them, but that is not the point really. The Federation should take a firm stand regarding this matter and decide whether it is time to change and become like the Germans or stick to our origins. There are different types of Oriundi and those who have nothing Italian in their blood, as well as not being born in the country, should not be allowed to play for Italy.

That is because the Azzurri shirt should continue to be as glorious as ever, even if the Germans are lighting up the international scene right now. But they haven’t won it yet and we have no need to envy them. Not one bit.

http://www.football-italia.net/blogs/si96.html

anyone see this  from a few days ago?

Vile piece of journalism from C4...I`m surprised they even allowed this on their site.....

:facepalm: 

That's so misguided, it's hilarious. Löw simply fielded the best squad of eligible players.

Guest Heneage

I agree with those above but do think it's weird they pick players who don't sing the anthem, or play just because they couldn't get in elsewhere, that cheapens it for me.

I don't see how that's sickening at all. The writer isn't complaining about people born in the country, just naturalised players.

We had exactly the same discussion here regarding Almunia playing for England. Same criticisms of the Irish team in '94.

I'm not saying I agree with the article 100% but he has a point about players being born elsewhere and just adopting a nationality for convenience/opportunity.

EDIT: However, if you do want to see some genuine xenophobia then look no further than the Hitler references in this thread, ffs.

I agree with those above but do think it's weird they pick players who don't sing the anthem, or play just because they couldn't get in elsewhere, that cheapens it for me.

Not at all. Most Germans would feel a bit weird singing the national anthem (bit nationalistic and all that). Things really started to change with the 2006 WC, and they started to feel comfortable expressing pride in German nationality. Before that, it was a rare German who'd claim to be (or admit to being) proud of being German, and most associated expressions of German pride with neo-Nazism.

I don't see how that's sickening at all. The writer isn't complaining about people born in the country, just naturalised players.

We had exactly the same discussion here regarding Almunia playing for England. Same criticisms of the Irish team in '94.

I'm not saying I agree with the article 100% but he has a point about players being born elsewhere and just adopting a nationality for convenience/opportunity.

EDIT: However, if you do want to see some genuine xenophobia then look no further than the Hitler references in this thread, ffs.

Except most of the players in question were born in Germany or moved here at a very young age. Cacau is the obvious "foreigner", as he came to Germany at the age of 20 or so as a salsa dancer. Klose was born in Poland, but his father is German (under German nationality rules).

Questioning their German-ness is much like questioning the Englishness of Rio Ferdinand, Emile Heskey or Jermaine Pennant.

Except most of the players in question were born in Germany or moved here at a very young age. Cacau is the obvious "foreigner", as he came to Germany at the age of 20 or so as a salsa dancer. Klose was born in Poland, but his father is German (under German nationality rules).

Questioning their German-ness is much like questioning the Englishness of Rio Ferdinand, Emile Heskey or Jermaine Pennant.

Hardly. More like debating whether or not Giggs could/should have played for England.

You're trying to turn it into something racial, which it quite clearly isn't.

Article maybe poorly researched or use bad examples but the fundamental point isn't controversial in the slightest.