Given's injuries

James

IF it looks like Shay Given will continue to miss matches through groin/thigh/stomach injuries as a consequence of his collision with Harewood, I would look to sell this summer, and replace him with someone who is almost as good, but able to put in a more consistent shift.

In my opinion, goalkeeper is a position which really needs consistency if you are to ever have a successful season. If we can't rely on Given, we are going to have to rely on someone else instead.

Hopefully though, the summer break will give him enough rest to allow him to regain his lazarus status for next season.

Missed about five games in five years through injury. Had a very serious one lately.

Shush tbh.

Yup.

Sell Given, man? Jesus Christ!

So many reasons not to, i'm not even going to waste my team listing them.

IF it looks like Shay Given will continue to miss matches through groin/thigh/stomach injuries as a consequence of his collision with Harewood, I would look to sell this summer, and replace him with someone who is almost as good, but able to put in a more consistent shift.

In my opinion, goalkeeper is a position which really needs consistency if you are to ever have a successful season. If we can't rely on Given, we are going to have to rely on someone else instead.

Hopefully though, the summer break will give him enough rest to allow him to regain his lazarus status for next season.

Ah. It has been a while since you got your crazy pills mixed up with your cornflakes, so I suppose we can let you off :thup:

Apart from the obvious I'm sure Glenn could do without having to convince yet another player to come here after selling half of the current squad.

Honestly did Given rape your dog or something? What is your problem with him? There obviously is one because the amount of excuses you have come out with to slate him and now suggesting we should sell him because for once he has had a few injuries in a season!

My friend is a doctor,mainly sport injurys

He told me that he thinks we rushed Given back too soon after his injury,didnt the doctor that treated him say that he only saw these kind of injurys in car crashs?

But really,this is Given we are talking about,the only player in our team who plays with real passion and have the abillty to do some week in week out without losing his fantastic form

And he is to most consistent keepr in the premiership for ages now,the problem is with the bunch of idiots that playing infront of him..

Missed about five games in five years through injury. Had a very serious one lately.

Shush tbh.

Is this not now his third spell on the sidelines since Christmas? These have been periods lasting more than one game. Alarmingly, goal kicks seem to be giving him trouble, there have even been matches where he has played through injuries sustained mid-match.

He is 31, many injuries may not fully heal. If our medical staff have a feeling that this may continue, now would be the best time to sell, as other clubs may not have picked up on any problems, as this would secure decent money for a replacement.

This is all assumming that I was manager and could choose the replacement. I don't see it happenning while Roeder is in charge. One effective and realistic replacement would be Isaksson in my opinion.

FM tip: Goalkeepers reach their peak and play their best football between the ages of 32 and 35.

(Stolen from Newcastle Fan, yesterday.)

It would be madness to sell him before his Football Manager-predicted peak! MADNESS!

Shush tbh.

Is this not now his third spell on the sidelines since Christmas? These have been periods lasting more than one game. Alarmingly, goal kicks seem to be giving him trouble, there have even been matches where he has played through injuries sustained mid-match.

He is 31, many injuries may not fully heal. If our medical staff have a feeling that this may continue, now would be the best time to sell, as other clubs may not have picked up on any problems, as this would secure decent money for a replacement.

This is all assumming that I was manager and could choose the replacement. I don't see it happenning while Roeder is in charge. One effective and realistic replacement would be Isaksson in my opinion.

If it is as bad as you think it might be then he should fail a medical at any clubs that want to sign him.

FM tip: Goalkeepers reach their peak and play their best football between the ages of 32 and 35.

(Stolen from Newcastle Fan, yesterday.)

It would be madness to sell him before his Football Manager-predicted peak! MADNESS!

It is true though, really. In many cases - keepers are playing at their best when they're 32/33.

Shush tbh.

If it is as bad as you think it might be then he should fail a medical at any clubs that want to sign him.

I dont necessary think it's bad right now. What is not being appreciated is that this is a hypothetical case.

I don't have Given's medical records.

All I'm saying is that if it was predicted that he was going to miss games as frequently as he has done since Christmas, for the rest of his career, the best business decision would be to let him leave.

Debatable really, as you cannot really streamline when every goalkeeper will be at the top of their game, but I understand what you're getting at and who you're probably thinking about when you posted that. I wasn't mocking Newcastle Fan, btw, I thought it was an extremely funny post he made. FM is a far more reliable source for information than the vast majority of opinions on here, amazingly enough.

Debatable really, as you cannot really streamline when every goalkeeper will be at the top of their game, but I understand what you're getting at and who you're probably thinking about when you posted that. I wasn't mocking Newcastle Fan, btw, I thought it was an extremely funny post he made. FM is a far more reliable source for information than the vast majority of opinions on here, amazingly enough.

No hard feeling mate,was actually going for that  ;)

I'd look to sell Given in the Summer, whilst he is still worth something, and buy Craig Gordon.

We'd probably make a small profit and get the better goalkeeper.

For what its worth, Given is the better keeper, but such a move would be very good business if Given's stomach injury meant that Given was going to miss 10+ games a season from now on.

Aye.

Van der Sar

Friedel

Schwarzer

James

Nigel Martyn

... to name a tiny percentage of Premiership keepers. ;)

I'd look to sell Given in the Summer, whilst he is still worth something, and buy Craig Gordon.

We'd probably make a small profit and get the better goalkeeper.

For what its worth, Given is the better keeper, but such a move would be very good business if Given's stomach injury meant that Given was going to miss 10+ games a season from now on.

Marginally, Gordon has potential to be very, very good.

No hard feeling mate,was actually going for that  ;)

Definitely, I know. It was quality ;D

As for Yorkie: Still doesn't change the fact that not every goalkeeper in professional football will peak between those ages, which is what the wording of the phrase suggested as there was no "generally" or anything in the quote. Peter Schmeichel (probably the best in Premiership history) was arguably at his peak between the ages of 28 and 31, for instance, although he remained excellent between 32 and 35. Was van der Sar better at 32/33 than when he was winning the Champions' League with Ajax? Nigel Martyn used to get called up to the England squad ahead of Seaman back in his earlier career, did he not? Was he undoubtedly better at Leeds?

I can't answer these personally, as I can't with the likes of Schwarzer and Friedel either. Could it not just be because of the increased media circus these days and the tendancy for hyperbole that people are inclined to believe that they've "never been better"? You can't tell me it's a rule that players peak at a certain age, it's nonsense. You might have seen all of these players throughout their careers, though, so maybe you know better than I do.

I suppose we'll see with the likes of Buffon and Casillas if the "rule" applies to them, as they're going to have to go some way to improving on what they've done already during their twenties so far, although again it will be very difficult to judge. I suppose Given will be our only real measure, though, as we see him play every week - he's another that's going to have to go some way to better what he's done already before the age of 32.