Newcastle 0 - 0 Chelsea - Post match thoughts

Dave

Caroll was great for the small period of time he was on. The way he held the ball up against Terry is something we've been crying out for all season.

Aye, miles ahead of Sibierski even at his young age

[/knee-jerk]

Caroll was great for the small period of time he was on. The way he held the ball up against Terry is something we've been crying out for all season.

looked very raw tbh, passed it to the opposition a few times, should've tried to bury the chance at the end, but that will come with confidence.

I'd a agree with that dave but out of interest do you think if he took more risks the crowd would get more upset at the amout of times he lost the ball?

Maybe so. I just think he seemed to take the safe option every time today, when normally he doesn't.

Martins - 7 - calm, assured, intelligent. good linkup play throughout and one of the main reasons why we dominated the game. looked dangerous when running the channels. couldve done better with two headers, and couldve taken more risks/been more selfish

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=38941.msg791369#msg791369

Thoughts?

damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. didn't help that his striker partner provides no threat.

Shame Carroll bottled it at the end.

Aww come on, at least he got into the position, which I am quite certain noone else would have, and when he looked up Dyer was in the box the he put his head down and by the time he'd played it Dyer had stopped completely and it looked like a shit ball. He looked good, promising.

Kieron Dyer in yet again another poor peformance.

Don't worry though folks because he runs about he's a quality player. :)

Wasn't too bad imo. Worked hard defensively. Certainly wouldn't call it a particularly poor performance.

PS - don't think I haven't seen your bitching on Toontastic. :razz:

As George Graham said, Carroll needed to either strike it at goal or get his head up and cut it back. Didn't help the players stopping their runs though, and he'll learn from experience.

Aww come on, at least he got into the position, which I am quite certain noone else would have, and when he looked up Dyer was in the box the he put his head down and by the time he'd played it Dyer had stopped completely and it looked like a shit ball. He looked good, promising.

I like the look of him too, but that was a great chance to be an instant hero.

GET IN!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Carr was great today, outstanding work rate from both him and Milner on the left, felt sorry for Dyer a bit as most of our stuff was played to the left and not trhe right but he did what he had to when he needed to..

Bramble was great as was Emre and Nobby, Taylor was outstanding, Butt lead us well today. I hate to say it again though but it is a fact-  WE DO PLAY BETTER WITHOUT PARKER!

TOP CHANTS OF THE DAY..

"You're not Champions anymore"

and wehnt he linesman snapped his flag

"you're not fit to wave a flag, you're not fit to wave a flag.  :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

Where the fk did they get four mins to add on though? and jow sad are Chelski that everytime they lose the ball, they whinge like fk for a free-kick.

Great atmophere today, happy happy, would have taken a point before this 1.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We played really well, Taylor, Emre and Sibi were very good for me. Sibi purely for making sure Terry was not an attacking threat. Milner also was excellent. Dyer i thought could of been better.

good point, Sib wasnt very good as an offensive player today. But he annoyed the hell out of Terry and kept him quiet on theire freekicks and corners. Good job in defense, but would've liked to see more in attack also.

Anyone else think Martins has been told to play it more safe and concentrate on keeping the ball instead of taking players on? A number of times in the second half he turned and passed back instead of attacking. Crowd got a bit annoyed too with it imo.

yeah that might have been the case.

But it sometimes seems that he is abit sloppy in starting his runs, or atleast a few times today, he let the chelsea defenders start maybe a second before him, and making it very difficult for him to use his pace.

And also one chance, were Essien got booked, we could see what a threat he is to the oppositions defense when using his pace correct.

I like the look of him too, but that was a great chance to be an instant hero.

I have to say that was the first I've really seen him - he seems to be very, very left footed, and surely it was a confidence thing in that it's easier to wrap your unnatural foot around the ball to cross from where he was than shoot...? Just my impression anyway

Apart from that, Sibierski's performance was like one big advertisement for everyone who advocates buying a striker who can hold the ball up as first priority (a view I don't necessarily subscribe to but can see the point). For the whole first half the ball bounced off Le Sib and straight back at us, putting us under lots of unnecessary pressure

Top marks for Taylor, Emre and Milner - and kudos for the much-maligned Carr and Bramble who put in pretty good shifts too.

Good point hard earned :thup:

Guest Phil K

Anyone see Robson & Shepherd sitting together?  Is that a usual occurance?

Yeah, it was commented on. Dunno what to make of it though.