Season Over, anything to lose by playing Carroll?

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First of all, sorry for another Carrol-thread, there's been quite a few recently

Only reason why I'd put Carrol on the bench is if Owen returns to full fitness and is fit to start, otherwise, play Carrol rest of the season. Nothing to lose.

The same reason we shouldn't have played LuaLua earlier this season when people were calling for him. While there maybe nothing to lose for the team there is plenty to lose for Carroll in terms of his progression. It has been shown with Zog this year how much of a factor confidence is for a young player and if Carroll is thrown into the starting lineup on live TV against Reading and ends up having a stinker it could really damage his confidence. I'm not against him getting some experience off the bench but I think starting him would be silly.

Also, I don't think the season is over. Every place is worth £500,000 and if someone like Portsmouth do have a end of season collapse we need to be there to take advantage.

The same reason we shouldn't have played LuaLua earlier this season when people were calling for him. While there maybe nothing to lose for the team there is plenty to lose for Carroll in terms of his progression. It has been shown with Zog this year how much of a factor confidence is for a young player and if Carroll is thrown into the starting lineup on live TV against Reading and ends up having a stinker it could really damage his confidence. I'm not against him getting some experience off the bench but I think starting him would be silly.

Also, I don't think the season is over. Every place is worth £500,000 and if someone like Portsmouth do have a end of season collapse we need to be there to take advantage.

I think you're dead-wrong with progression on the younger players. IMO, any 18-year old would get improved confidence by being the preffered option by his manager, and I especially feel this for Carrol, as he's been working hard all season and probably feels that he might deserve to play in the last few games.

N'Zogbia,Luque,Carroll,Lua Lua,Huntingtion,Edgar should all start our next 3 games

Apart from the fact that is a completely insane idea, LuaLua got injured playing for the U18's yesterday.

N'Zogbia,Luque,Carroll,Lua Lua,Huntingtion,Edgar should all start our next 3 games

Apart from the fact that is a completely insane idea, LuaLua got injured playing for the U18's yesterday.

If we really got nothing to lose then why not try them,not as starters,but atleast give them 15 mins of premiership football

I wouldn't play either Hunty or Edgar. Taylor is still young and is in great form at the moment and Bramble is playing for a new contract. Luque should be flogged no matter what in the summer and Lua Lua barely even makes the reserves, he's not ready yet.

I wouldn't play either Hunty or Edgar. Taylor is still young and is in great form at the moment and Bramble is playing for a new contract. Luque should be flogged no matter what in the summer and Lua Lua barely even makes the reserves, he's not ready yet.

Who do you think is going to pay Luque 40k a week?

I think you're dead-wrong with progression on the younger players. IMO, any 18-year old would get improved confidence by being the preffered option by his manager, and I especially feel this for Carrol, as he's been working hard all season and probably feels that he might deserve to play in the last few games.

The problem is if he does have an awful game Roeder will have to drop him. Also it may well give him a false idea of his place in the team and may unsettle him when it comes to next season and he is back down with the reserves.

Also, I don't think Shola and Owen will be too happy about being stopped from returning because Roeder is experimenting with a kid.

"If he's good enough, he's old enough", as they say.

This is where Roeder needs to show some of that world-renowned judgement of his; because if he IS good enough, giving the lad experience at this stage of his career could be a massive, MASSIVE boost for him -- but if he isn't good enough yet, his confidence could be damaged permanently after ony one or two poor displays.

The question is: is Glen capable of making the right decision?

Guest Magpiecn

I think it'll better for carroll to come off from the bench,about 15-20mins will be great.He still young ,though play more will let him take more confidence,he will be damaged if he plays a awful game.This season is nearly over,may be let carroll ahead of owen and shola will better.Because there's just three games leave,it may be no must use to play owen and shola.Even they all in form in that three games, but the season is over ,then it will stop them.I prefer let owen and shola play more in pre-seaon matches,and carroll play in that three games.

Carroll should play the full 90min in the next game

The lad is burning to get a game so why not

All this talks about "if he plays badly it will ruin his confidence" are bollocks

The lad is dying to play as much as he can and he cant do too worse than Sibierski can he?

He will be alot more ambitious then Sibierski and from what i've seen from Carroll he is playing with alot of confidence

Sibierski is too slow at the end of the season and cant do anything possitive about the team

Give Carroll a go

YES

Start him uptop with Oba for every game elft this season, who knows we may have wont oday if he had started, Ilove the Effort and heart you get from Le Sib but really he is past being a starting Prem player..

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

I reckon he should start a game at the least. Doubt to many Everton fans were saying hold Rooney back as Big Dunc wont be happy, or more recently, don't start Anichebe or Vaughan because it will annoy Beattie.

Give him a start glenn!!!!!