James Milner, and on the left wing

tmonkey

Time for his critics to hold their hands up. I thought he was a poor player overperforming earlier on in the season and last season for Villa, really didnt like him because of his poor technique at times - thought of him as a Bowyer type player, high work rate low ability - and would have been happy to see him being shipped out.

Needless to say, that was all bollocks. Without a doubt, the lad is an absolute class act, and whats more, hes improving every game. Lack of pace means nowt for a winger if you have intelligence and some ability on the ball, Ljungberg who I have always hated was a top player for Arsenal purely because of those abilities, and Milner has improved in both respects for me. On top of this, his first touch has improved drastically.

Todays game should have confirmed without a shadow of a doubt that not only is Milner good enough to be backup for left wing, hes more than good enough to be a permanent fixture there. Its also possible that hes a better player on the left wing than on the right, because he ends up cutting inside more often and linking up with play as well as working the touchline, whereas on the right wing he tends to do that less as naturally he wouldnt want to come onto his left foot.

Never rated him tbh.

I agree with the left sided comment though, have said it a few times before that I think he players better there. He has the ability to put the ball in with his left foot but also the ability to cut in and shoot or put in a good cross with his right. He doesn't really need pace as he has a few skills in him to beat a man and get a bit of space his footwork doesn't look as good as the likes of Ronaldo but it is often effective. Paulo Ferreira wouldn't exactly be looking forward to a rematch any time soon.

Milner is a superb player tbh

Just 20,and seems to be one of few players who play with his brain instead of just kicking the ball and chasing after it like an idiot

he is smart,and have the abillty to come out with some really good moments

I really think he has been our best player this season,and not Martins,and i am shocked that we still havn't offer him a new contract..

Ljungberg didn't have pace?

Ljungberg didn't really play on the wing either. Never seen him put in a cross in my life, he plays in a free role.

Ljungberg regularly played on the left or right wing when he hit peak form for Arsenal. Granted he drifted infield alot, but he did play out wide alot of the time, and the reason why you probably havent seen him cross the ball is because he tends to fall over when there is minimal contact from a fullback, either that or pass it to an overlapping teamate. But the point still stands - he wasnt someone who would beat his man with pace, he would instead make intelligent runs infield and use the ball well. The point with regards to Milner being that Milner can do likewise as an alternative to going down the flank, he doesnt have to be limited by a lack of blistering pace. Hes already starting to do that to a degree imo, and hes becoming harder to dispossess ala Ljungberg, hence the slight comparison.

He reminds me of Beardsley for some reason, the posture i think when running and the amount of effort giving each game.

If he could sort out his shooting abilities, i'd have him through the centre creating, i know he's tried there before, and that before us it was his natural position, but i think he'll end up back there either Scholes type creating, or a bit further forward and become a proper link up and goalscorer in his own right.

Either which way, he's a mint player and i'm so glad he's ours and not Villa's.

Given,  Taylor, Zoggy, Milner & Martins are the only 1st team players i would be gutted to see leave this club, the rest are replaceable, crap or past it.

He reminds me of Beardsley for some reason, the posture i think when running and the amount of effort giving each game.

If he could sort out his shooting abilities, i'd have him through the centre creating, i know he's tried there before, and that before us it was his natural position, but i think he'll end up back there either Scholes type creating, or a bit further forward and become a proper link up and goalscorer in his own right.

Given,  Taylor, Zoggy, Milner & Martins are the only 1st team players i would be gutted to see leave this club, the rest are replaceable, crap or past it.

Owen?

Owen?

What about him? Replaceable & very costly, in hindsight a big mistake, a one i hope is rectified this summer with either Manu or Liverpool taking him off our hands, nothing would please me more to see us get our money back, we might just if them two clubs go at it for him, if not near enough £12m+

Owen?

What about him? Replaceable & very costly, in hindsight a big mistake, a one i hope is rectified this summer with either Manu or Liverpool taking him off our hands, nothing would please me more to see us get our money back, we might just if them two clubs go at it for him, if not near enough £12m+

All I was asking.  ^

Personally, I'd like to see him give us at least one season, but I wouldn't be terribly gutted if he left.  Bit pissed, but I'd get over it. 

Owen?

All I was asking.  ^

Personally, I'd like to see him give us at least one season, but I wouldn't be terribly gutted if he left.  Bit pissed, but I'd get over it. 

no matter who leaves you get over it.

i wonder if toons taylor was saying buying shearer was a mistake when he got injured in that friendly at everton,after all he produced little that season and for £15mill then.

as for milner whern he was on the verge of leaving last year,i'd rather have kept him but if he leaves for the benefit of the club,so be it....now that benefit would have to be substantial.

Owen?

Owen, replaceable? Care to name a finisher of his calibre (there are few on the planet) who would be willing to come to a mid-table club?

Owen?

Owen, replaceable? Care to name a finisher of his calibre (there are few on the planet) who would be willing to come to a mid-table club?

Good point.