Oba - best is yet to come

Skirge

Obafemi Martins is adamant he has no plans to quit Newcastle United in the summer after just one season at St James' Park.

The striker has proved to be a powerful presence in The Magpies' forward line and has scored 17 goals for the club.

But the £10million signing's exploits have prompted talk that he could be offered the chance to leave the North East at the end of the season.

Martins has dismissed the notion of a move and has assured Newcastle supporters they have yet to see his best form.

"I am happy at Newcastle," Martins told The People. "I love the city and the people.

"I have settled very quickly, with the help of the players and the manager.

"It is not about what I have achieved in seven months, it is about the full five years of my contract and I intend to be at Newcastle for all that time.

"Our fans are the best in the world. Even if we are losing or not playing well there are still 52,000 backing us and I respect that.

"I want them to know that the best is yet to come from me. I am excited about what lies ahead."

good to hear - i cannot wait to see him next season!

Agreed. I think we are all desperate to see if he and Owen can hit it off together. I really hoping they can obviously, but i have niggling doubts as Martins isn't the most visionary of passers and of course theres no guarantee Owen will ever be the player he was either. I'm also really looking forward to Shola coming back as i think Martins will really benefit playing off him or Carroll.

Guest NIToon

He's still been a breath of fresh air at times this season and has done well to get so many goals.  My only concern is whether he will get the right coaching to improve his game, passing/vision etc

I'm glad Owen is returning because it will relieve some of the pressure off his shoulders. This might make him relax and enjoy his game more. If Oba ended up with 12 next season and Owen with 20+ i would not be upset, so long as oba gives enough to the team play.

I'm glad Owen is returning because it will relieve some of the pressure off his shoulders. This might make him relax and enjoy his game more. If Oba ended up with 12 next season and Owen with 20+ i would not be upset, so long as oba gives enough to the team play.

Oba will score more than owen IMO. Next season if they stay fit 70-80% of the season, Oba will get about 18 and Owen 14

Oba will score more than owen IMO. Next season if they stay fit 70-80% of the season, Oba will get about 18 and Owen 14

Im hoping if they both stay fit for the whole season we'll have our two strikers into the twenties, goal wise! I think Owen will probably score more, too. Maybe not that many more though.